Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ex-Pat

Re: The Shed-ends & window frames

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks Daniel (and not a tree to be seen!)

Work the switched to the shed ends – as can be seen the Wills sheet was not large enough to cover the end in one go.
IMG_0678.JPG
So it was necessary to use another sheet once the first one had set.
So it was necessary to use another sheet once the first one had set.
Seen from the other side the join-line can be seen but it should be relatively easily disguisable.
Seen from the other side the join-line can be seen but it should be relatively easily disguisable.
Cutting out the door entries was much easier when using a piercing saw (it was too awkward to use this when cutting out the window spaces).
Cutting out the door entries was much easier when using a piercing saw (it was too awkward to use this when cutting out the window spaces).
The card “frames” were added to the rear of the windows  and trimmed for a good fit of the windows.
The card “frames” were added to the rear of the windows and trimmed for a good fit of the windows.
T.B.C.
Daniel

Re: Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Post by Daniel »

I think even only weathering will make the joint of the Wills pannels invisible to the mind but I'm sure you will find your way.
Good work, as usual.

Daniel
My new Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/

My old Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_32_scale/page223

Being right is one thing, but being true is quite another.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks Daniel.
The desired depth of window recess has been achieved and the next step was to
The desired depth of window recess has been achieved and the next step was to
use De Luxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty to fill in any gaps.  I found this material far more convenient to work with than Milliput filler as it is already mixed and easy to apply.
use De Luxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty to fill in any gaps. I found this material far more convenient to work with than Milliput filler as it is already mixed and easy to apply.
These are the recesses having been roughly filled with the PPP
These are the recesses having been roughly filled with the PPP
and here is the final result after cleaning up.  The PPP has also been used to fill any gaps between the quoins and walls, and also the joints between the wall sections.
and here is the final result after cleaning up. The PPP has also been used to fill any gaps between the quoins and walls, and also the joints between the wall sections.
Work switched back to the shed ends again - in the background is a photo of the curved bricks forming the arch over the shed doorway, and in the foreground the arrow indicates the start of my scraping away the stonework in order to accommodate the curved bricks. (The sandstone colour is merely a trick of the night light - it's still grey!) The photo also shows how the original roof profile was built onto around 1955.
IMG_0710 - Copy.JPG
T.B.C.
Last edited by Ex-Pat on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Post by Eastern »

Looks like work is progressing well - think the wait to see the final build will be well worth it!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Busy boy, looking good.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks Eastern & manna.
Now all 3 arches have undergone surgery, and pieces of curved Plastikard cut out to form the bricks.  I only had to get the top curve of the brick as accurate as possible because
Now all 3 arches have undergone surgery, and pieces of curved Plastikard cut out to form the bricks. I only had to get the top curve of the brick as accurate as possible because
after cementing the individual bricks in place
after cementing the individual bricks in place
the overhang could easily be trimmed away
the overhang could easily be trimmed away
to leave a nice flush edge
to leave a nice flush edge
so all 3 arches are now complete and ready for assembly to the side walls.
so all 3 arches are now complete and ready for assembly to the side walls.
T.B.C.
Ex-Pat

Re: This way Honey!

Post by Ex-Pat »

The latest addition to the loco stud is a Hornby A2/3, and its transformation (no prizes for guessing its new name) is covered in my Workbench thread at:

https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 17#p693517

Work on the locoshed progresses and will be updated in the next few days.
Ex-Pat

Re: A distressing time is called for.

Post by Ex-Pat »

Back to the locoshed.
flying scotsman123 wrote:Random stonework is always difficult, the random sheets are never the same random as what you want! Anyway, I'm sure you'll make it look just right.

Fs123 you're quite right there – whilst the size of the stones was more like what I needed, their relief was too exaggerated and I had to file/sand them flatter – an act of sacrilege some might think.
The centre and right hand side have been distressed but as the left hand side will abut the water tower there is no need to file/sand down.
The centre and right hand side have been distressed but as the left hand side will abut the water tower there is no need to file/sand down.
Likewise the right hand side will be covered by the sand drying house so it too can be left as it is
Likewise the right hand side will be covered by the sand drying house so it too can be left as it is
This is the finished “depth” stone
This is the finished “depth” stone
compared with the original “depth” stone
compared with the original “depth” stone
All 4 walls are now ready for next stage.
All 4 walls are now ready for next stage.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Square section pieces were cemented to the ends of the side walls with the dual aim of providing a greater surface area to which the end walls would be attached, and also as a means of anchoring the completed building to the baseboard (details to follow at a later stage).
Square section pieces were cemented to the ends of the side walls with the dual aim of providing a greater surface area to which the end walls would be attached, and also as a means of anchoring the completed building to the baseboard (details to follow at a later stage).
The distinctive windows were glued in place
The distinctive windows were glued in place
Quite pleased with the depth of the window recess.
Quite pleased with the depth of the window recess.
The cut-out middles of the window frames had been saved and were then glued between the windows - the purpose will become clear later.
The cut-out middles of the window frames had been saved and were then glued between the windows - the purpose will become clear later.
Sills have been cut out for the windows
Sills have been cut out for the windows
T.B.C.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Steaming ahead ! And yes those windows are different. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Great progress Ex Pat, and high quality modelling as usual. Looking forward to seeing the finished shed.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks manna & Jim
The sills have now been attached
The sills have now been attached
Dabs of glue are on the black pieces of card between the windows, and
Dabs of glue are on the black pieces of card between the windows, and
glazing strips have been attached – keeping the windows themselves free of glue.
glazing strips have been attached – keeping the windows themselves free of glue.
Now the fun begins as
the first 2 walls are cemented together
the first 2 walls are cemented together
the ugly strip at the corner of the walls will thankfully be covered in due course by the quoins.
the ugly strip at the corner of the walls will thankfully be covered in due course by the quoins.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

All 4 walls are now attached and
the corners are masked off for a final flattening of the stone to ensure that the quoins adhere OK.
the corners are masked off for a final flattening of the stone to ensure that the quoins adhere OK.
The first site-test.
The first site-test.
Failed!  The corner is too close to the track and a loco doesn’t clear it!  So the track will have to be skewed over to the left.
Failed! The corner is too close to the track and a loco doesn’t clear it! So the track will have to be skewed over to the left.
The PW gang lifted the offending track
The PW gang lifted the offending track
and re-laid it, ensuring adequate clearance.  The green light was given to remove the loco, and ballast the track.
and re-laid it, ensuring adequate clearance. The green light was given to remove the loco, and ballast the track.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

The structure itself, although not warping, did “flex” a little and I hoped that pieces of Plastikard in the corners (as per arrow) would stop the movement
But then decided to continue “business class” by soldering transverse brass tubes in place
But then decided to continue “business class” by soldering transverse brass tubes in place
the pile of wood is to help keep the tube in place whilst soldering
the pile of wood is to help keep the tube in place whilst soldering
job done! And the structure is now very rigid
job done! And the structure is now very rigid
T.B.C.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

It has a characterful presence already, Ex-Pat, even if still whithout roof.

Daniel
My new Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/

My old Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_32_scale/page223

Being right is one thing, but being true is quite another.