Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ex-Pat

Re: Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks manna and carnehan - yes, in a roundabout sort of a way you've hit the nail on the head manna, in that things like Christmas and New Year etc. combine with my mental affliction of never doing today what I can put off till tomorrow!! And I'm not exactly the type for New Year's Resolutions, but will try to discipline myself to devote more time this year.

(And things like joining the LNER Forum with 70-odd pages on O1's to read aren't going to help much either.)

js1975

Postby js1975 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:36 am

Impressive progress!

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks js1975.

Since my last post, not a lot has happened, as I have been away for a couple of weeks, however I did do some tidying up before I went, resulting in a very much smoother flagstone circle and which needs only a relatively small bit of further work before scribing the individual flags and experimenting paint-wise:

P1060622.JPG
P1060622.JPG (178.53 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

I now have approximately 1,100 photos to download and re-size, so I can't see any work being done for a few days!

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:30 pm

At last some progress to report – slow because I’m working on a loco conversion at the same time.

P1060623.JPG
The DAS has dried out completely and the flagstones have been scribed out ....
P1060623.JPG (201.33 KiB) Viewed 1482 times

P1060624.JPG
... using an Olfa Cutter.
P1060624.JPG (216.37 KiB) Viewed 1482 times

P1060625.JPG
Experiments in painting then started, using a splish of this and a splosh of that until I was content. (Such a pity I have no coloured photos to go by!)
P1060625.JPG (223.88 KiB) Viewed 1482 times

P1060649.JPG
The chequeur plating was removed, the deck weathered and a centre bearing cover cut from a lead weight. The colour of the foot-rung circle has been toned down.
P1060649.JPG (194.12 KiB) Viewed 1482 times

P1060685.JPG
Eventually I was happy with the weathering of the well and its wall.
P1060685.JPG (197.64 KiB) Viewed 1482 times

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Then I started experimenting with real coal (H & S - learnt to use a respirator when breaking it up for the second time!)

I felt that I overdid the amount of spilt coal to start with, and had to thin it out a bit

P1060748.JPG
This shows the position after removal of some coal.
P1060748.JPG (198.79 KiB) Viewed 1481 times

P1060751.JPG
Strange how using flash the well looks wet ....
P1060751.JPG (208.12 KiB) Viewed 1481 times

P1060753.JPG
......whereas without flash it looks dry!
P1060753.JPG (218.99 KiB) Viewed 1481 times

All I've got to do now is remove the lower handrail, and introduce a coal dust layer to the deck - then to pastures new!

(Edited to change "aspirator" to "respirator"!)
Last edited by Ex-Pat on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:03 am

Hi Ex-Pat, only just discovered this thread, seems we are on a par, track down, no scenery! Of course there are some slight differences....
Yours is 6 times bigger than mine (I thought I had a big plan!)
I am only using bog standard 100 code
Mine is not based on a real location
I have cheated and bought a turntable
:)
As I too see a move on the horizon, I have used brass location pins and M8 bolts to join sections, what is the advantage of using pinned hinges?
I have to say I have only ever heard of ply sandwich construction, I have never seen it in the flesh, it looks terribly intensive and hard work, why did you go for it? I guess to make sturdy and light weight for the moves? I can only commend you, as the wood butchery you have done is extremely impressive. I always like to see nice mimic boards (I sort of design 'em for a living) and your are right up there, a little compact, but still aesthetically pleasing and functional. Before I make comment on 4PCO switches, I need to know how your point motors work, as the momentary function may be a problem!
Re timescales, my thread is real time, board and track has stopped now for 3 months while I make a bridge and platforms, everything takes an age!
Top job, I will follow with interest, what's next after the turn table?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:47 am

Slow and steady wins the race. Another fine piece of construction and well finished too. I await another month or so in the darkness before the next update. :D

Paul

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:49 pm

TimberSurf wrote:Hi Ex-Pat, only just discovered this thread, seems we are on a par, track down, no scenery!

Thanks Timbersurf - I beg to differ – I’ve taken a look at your website and see a veritable expanse of scenery compared with mine – and who knows what has happened since 2014?! Any up to date photos of the latest position please?

I have used brass location pins and M8 bolts to join sections, what is the advantage of using pinned hinges?

To my mind the pinned hinges are fairly easy to fit, and very effective as long as the pin is a nice tight fit (I need pliers to remove mine) - I’ve never considered using any other method.

I have to say I have only ever heard of ply sandwich construction, I have never seen it in the flesh, it looks terribly intensive and hard work, why did you go for it? I guess to make sturdy and light weight for the moves?

I was simply “sold on it” as soon as I saw the Activity Media DVD and realised the 2 specific factors you mention.

Before I make comment on 4PCO switches, I need to know how your point motors work, as the momentary function may be a problem!

Electrics for me is not the forté suggested by your own website, I just use simple sprung (on) (centre off)(on) switches linked to a pair of points in cross-overs, and that’s my limit!

Top job, I will follow with interest, what's next after the turn table?

Thanks for the compliment - I’ll be turning my hand to completing a loco conversion, and to finishing the shed buildings which I started over a year ago. Might even finish an Ian Kirk coach kit that came to a stop more than 2 years ago! Got to build the coaling stage (I’m more interested in loco facilities than other buildings) before considering the viaduct and station.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:56 pm

carnehan wrote:Slow and steady wins the race. Another fine piece of construction and well finished too. I await another month or so in the darkness before the next update. :D

Paul

Thanks Paul - I'll try to throw some light your way before the end of March!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:34 pm

Ex-Pat wrote: Any up to date photos of the latest position please?

The website plan is still in existance, but the original near built phase1 got thrown away and I am now starting an extract from phase2 (station and goods yard without the high level at the back)
latest layout pics here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44849&start=30#p622031

Before I make comment on 4PCO switches, I need to know how your point motors work, as the momentary function may be a problem!

As I suspected, if you are using momentary pulses for the "solenoid" point motors, then a 3/4PCO does not work, as they are normally on/on or if you could find a momentary on/off/on, then the frog would never get powered for long!
The only way it would work is if you had a CDU per point!

manna

Postby manna » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:15 pm

G'day Gents

TT looking good.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:03 am

TimberSurf wrote:The website plan is still in existance, but the original near built phase1 got thrown away and I am now starting an extract from phase2 (station and goods yard without the high level at the back)
latest layout pics here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44849&start=30#p622031

Thanks Timbersurf, I had a feeling you had a topic on the go but didn't see a link to it, only to your website - rather a big difference!

As I suspected, if you are using momentary pulses for the "solenoid" point motors, then a 3/4PCO does not work, as they are normally on/on or if you could find a momentary on/off/on, then the frog would never get powered for long!
The only way it would work is if you had a CDU per point!

Only about £700 then?!!

And thanks manna.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:42 pm

Hmmm, might have to change my signature, thanks for pointing that out!
So what's wrong with a £700 investment to improve the mimic? :mrgreen:

The other way would be to scrap/replace the frog switches with a latching relay. Parallel the output from your momentary switch to the solenoids, to the two coils of the latching relay. Might be a little cheaper than the CDU's, but just gives you a bigger headache how to fill more holes in the mimic! (and an empty wallet)

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:42 pm

TimberSurf wrote:
The other way would be to scrap/replace the frog switches with a latching relay. Parallel the output from your momentary switch to the solenoids, to the two coils of the latching relay. Might be a little cheaper than the CDU's, but just gives you a bigger headache how to fill more holes in the mimic! (and an empty wallet)

Thanks - I just put that into Google Translate and a load of sparks came out!

Seriously though I will have to come to grips with a latching relay some day in order to introduce indexing to the turntable as it's difficult to line up from nearly 6ft away.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:22 pm

I am not sure how "indexing" and latching relays are connected? There are many ways to control a turntable, but most will need some sort of feedback, either micro switches or encoder of some sort. Do you intend to have more than the 0 and 180 degree positions?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”