My As Yet Untitled 4x3 Roundy-Roundy

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
roganty

Re: My As Yet Untitled 4x3 Roundy-Roundy

Postby roganty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:15 pm

Thanks TimberSurf :)

TimberSurf wrote:Its coming along nicely (again), your wire sizes are more than man enough for the size of layout in N :)

Thanks, the dropper wires just look a little weedy next to the beefy bus cables!

TimberSurf wrote:What do you intend to use for the split/hinge connectors?

I have gone through many different thoughts regarding getting power over the join, starting with: (car) door contact switches eBay; then on to 4 pin DIN sockets Maplin; then 4 pin Molex connectors; but I have finally settled on 4 pin ATX connectors eBay

I've got two (mainly for the length), I'll cut one end off each and connect it to the bus, then feed the connector through a hole in the supports.
I will be using all four wires, two for the main bus, and two for joining the ADS-8FX's. When I fully convert to DCC each ADS-8FX will be connected straight to the main bus.

Anthony
Main Layout: Planning | The Build

Erikslund - a small shunting layout

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:35 pm

The ATX are not designed for many disconnections and there is no strain relief. If you can wait, this Aircraft http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M16-2-3-4-5-6 ... elpg_Uhd_w range are incredibly cheap and good spec, you can get strain relief on the flexible end and fasten the plug end to something solid. Whatever you go for, I recommend to have enough slack hidden somewhere so if you forget to disconnect, the cable will reach round when the "case" is shut and not rip the tight cables apart! Don't forget to use flexible (multi strand) cable for the joiner.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

roganty

Postby roganty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:17 pm

TimberSurf wrote:The ATX are not designed for many disconnections and there is no strain relief. If you can wait, this Aircraft http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M16-2-3-4-5-6 ... elpg_Uhd_w range are incredibly cheap and good spec, you can get strain relief on the flexible end and fasten the plug end to something solid.

I have heard that somewhere before about the ATX range, but to be honest, the layout will probably be setup for a week or two, then dismantled for a few months, so I don't think that will be an issue.
Those Aircraft connectors look the bee's knees, and look similar to the DIN connectors I also looked at. If (when) I come to replace the ATX connectors they will be top of the list.

TimberSurf wrote:Whatever you go for, I recommend to have enough slack hidden somewhere so if you forget to disconnect, the cable will reach round when the "case" is shut and not rip the tight cables apart! Don't forget to use flexible (multi strand) cable for the joiner.

All sorted, there is no hinge :lol:
When I get to fit the hinge, the bolts currently holding the two halves will remain, so there will be (hopefully) no forgetting to disconnect.

Anthony

roganty

Postby roganty » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:05 pm

All connected up!
P1030231 by Anthony, on Flickr

It was so nice to be able to just plug in the controller and just play trains (or just watch one run around and around and around and...)

I did have a little issue with shorts, an odd situation where some of the rails were just touching over the join. A quick whizz with the dremel, and all was good.

It was also good to see that there was no issue with the loco crossing the joins.

And my isolating section would have work... if only I had used isolated joiners! Doh!

Anthony

roganty

Postby roganty » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:41 am

I've started ballasting!!

Day one
P1030233 by Anthony, on Flickr

Day two
P1030235 by Anthony, on Flickr

I'm reasonably happy with it, there are a few areas I'm not too happy with, but the majority of these two sections will be hidden in a tunnel.

I'm also going to see if I can mix in a darker colour (Peco do real coal, and Woodland Scenics do cinders)

Does anyone have any hints/tips for ballasting points?

Thanks, Anthony

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”