My As Yet Untitled 4x3 Roundy-Roundy

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
roganty

Re: My As Yet Untitled 4x3 Roundy-Roundy

Postby roganty » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:10 am

I can't believe it's been nearly a month since my last post! Not much has changed with the layout, except I have finished the wiring for the left hand board, and have almost finished the loop on the right hand board.

But I do have some new stock (well, inherited). It's from granddads old set that he gave to me one year, and it's probably been in storage (the attic) for 15 - 20 years

P1030090 by Anthony, on Flickr

What have I got...

P1030091 by Anthony, on Flickr
Lots and lots of buildings, and platforms.

P1030092 by Anthony, on Flickr
A Gaugemaster controller, has seen better days, but it does still have the price on it (£34.95)

P1030093 by Anthony Rogers, on Flickr
A few trees

P1030094 by Anthony Rogers, on Flickr
A lot of chimneys (If you look closely you can also see some people!)

P1030095 by Anthony Rogers, on Flickr
And some other stuff... :D

They're not in too bad a condition, will probably need some oiling prior to running, but should be all good!
Main Layout: Planning | The Build

Erikslund - a small shunting layout

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:55 am

Some quality woodwork there and what a super box
of goodies to work your way through.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

roganty

Postby roganty » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:44 am

It's been a long while since my last update and I've not done a lot to the layout.

Not long after my last update I finished wiring up the right hand board, and using the old Gaugemaster controller I had a couple of my loco's running around that half the layout.
My only issue was one dead spot between two points, but that was due to poor contact with the switch blade.

These last couple of weeks I've been working on the island platform for my station

P1030110 by Anthony, on Flickr

I stuck masking tape down, then holding a pencil against the side of a carriage I marked out the edge of the platform.

Not as easy as it sounds, one: the pencil wouldn't stay still; and two: the mark it left behind wasn't brilliant;
Then I realised my largest loco was wider than the carriage, so I had to do it all over again!

In the end I pinned the platform edging to the board, move the loco around and adjusted the platform until the loco missed!

The platform in the lowest part of the photo is only just placed in position so I could see how many pieces I need to finish the platform on that side.
(One! And that is one more piece than I have!!)

Now I have to work out what I need to do next to finish the platforms!

Dad-1 wrote:Some quality woodwork there and what a super box
of goodies to work your way through.

I know it's been almost two months but thanks Geoff.
I had a little fun and, using all the buildings from my goody box, I built up a little town, just to see what it would look like

P1030097 by Anthony, on Flickr

P1030100 by Anthony, on Flickr
P1030099 by Anthony, on Flickr
Last edited by roganty on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:07 pm

It's not a race anyway so take your time ......

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

roganty

Postby roganty » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:06 am

Dad-1 wrote:It's not a race anyway so take your time ......

Geoff T.

Thanks! I'm at that stage in the build where I'm stuck for what to do next.

I have all the droppers in place for the left hand board, but have yet to wire up the bus.

Before I can start with anything else I need to sort out what I'm going to do about point control.
I know I want a control panel, but unsure how to do the connections between the panel and the boards (and the wiring!)

Building my platforms is probably the last thing I can do before I need to commit to sorting out wiring and point control.

roganty

Postby roganty » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:46 am

Some progress, I have point motors!

So far I have 5 Seep PM-1's and 2 Peco PL-11's, which is only enough for the left board.

I'm placing the Peco motors on the two points closest to the edge (and too close to the supports for underboard mounting)

Due to the proximity of the back scene, I have to place the motors on the curved side of the points. Is it ok for the motors/linkage to be at a slight angle to the tie bar? There is a lot of free play in the connection, and flicking it back and forth with my finger it seems to work ok, but, what is everyone else's experience?

P1030142 by Anthony, on Flickr

I was planning on cutting off the back sticky-out-bit, until I checked for clearance.
P1030143 by Anthony Rogers, on Flickr

If I had the point motor parallel to the track, that would hit!

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:52 am

If parallel is needed (unlikely) or just for cosmetic reasons, the answer is to cut out a groove in the chipboard so the motor can be fitted upside-down, the bulge going into the board rather than sticking up.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

roganty

Postby roganty » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Emettman wrote:If parallel is needed (unlikely) or just for cosmetic reasons, the answer is to cut out a groove in the chipboard so the motor can be fitted upside-down, the bulge going into the board rather than sticking up.

Thanks Chris, so I don't need them to be parallel then.

I had thought of turning them turtle, but I didn't like the idea of cutting a hole in the baseboard in case I replaced them with something else.

I do have an idea for disguising them anyway!

Anthony

roganty

Postby roganty » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:36 pm

While I'm off my feet after my operation, I thought it was time for a long awaited (overdue) build update!

Details of viaduct construction:

Here's where I was still deciding the size of the viaduct spans. I was trying to get something that would fit around the track, but not look too 'forced'.
P1020700 by Anthony, on Flickr

Here is a previous photo showing the holes pre-drilled in the baseboard to accept the supports for the viaduct.
P1020705 by Anthony, on Flickr

Here is one of the viaduct walls all marked up for cutting.
P1020707 by Anthony, on Flickr

And here it is after cutting. I nailed all four sides together to make sure they were all identical.
P1020709 by Anthony, on Flickr
I had to get a new finer blade for my jigsaw, and I ended up burning through two of them!
This is where my non-carpenter skills come into play! Note the burn marks on the arches (more specifically on the tightest two) and my ace line following skills, which are not all that noticeable, but when I come to dress the sides I'm sure it will come back to bite me hard in the arse!

And here's part way through building up the supports.
P1020716 by Anthony, on Flickr
That is a piece of 15x15mm screwed to the inside edge of the main supports that go through the board. Then I filled in all the gaps by gluing in filler pieces.

I then glued on the walls, and here is the finished viaduct.
P1020722 by Anthony, on Flickr
The main supports are just screwed into the baseboard supports underneath. So I can remove the viaduct and work on it separately.

And here is a close up arty-farty shot of the finished viaduct.
P1020723 by Anthony, on Flickr

My plan for the viaduct is to fill the inside gaps with filler, then somehow dress the outside faces to represent either brick or stone.
I'm not sure how I'll do that yet, either a paint effect or maybe even woodchip style wallpaper.
Until then I'll leave the viaduct and concentrate on the railway!

Anthony

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:38 pm

That is pretty impressive arch cutting with just a jigsaw 8)

roganty

Postby roganty » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:06 am

Dave wrote:That is pretty impressive arch cutting with just a jigsaw 8)

Thanks Dave.

I'm not sure what tool should have been used, but all I had to hand was a jigsaw!
And it only really struggled with the 4" arches (luckily I only had two!)

To be honest, the photo's don't show up what a hatchet job it really is!

Anthony

roganty

Postby roganty » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:59 am

I've finally done some more track work to my layout, and have laid the last 6" of track to finish the inner loop at the station, which also completes the circuit, so I no longer have to push my loco's over the dead spot when I next run trains again.

I also installed two more surface mounted point motors to control the points at the back of the layout.
They were in a very tight spot within the layout, as they both had track between them and the points they were switching.
P1030144 by Anthony, on Flickr
I used the stick from a cotton bud and the earth wire from some 1.5mm cable.

One of the point motors was exceptionally close to the viaduct support, but by cutting off one of the posts, and trimming down part of the throw mechanism, I was able to getting it in place and allow enough clearance for trains to run.
(That piece of track in the photo is only to check clearances)

Realistically speaking, I can now ballast the whole of the back section as I have no more point motors to fit in that area.

Anthony

roganty

Postby roganty » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:57 am

Its time for a small update, and a video!

After many, many, many hours searching for an N Gauge Thomas, I found one, and in the UK!
According to the seller on eBay, he brought it new a few months ago, and it runs well.

It arrived yesterday, and is like new, no scratches, and runs well.

So here's my video of Thomas running around my layout. https://youtu.be/cs8HZ3YHVFI

Enjoy
Anthony

roganty

Postby roganty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:12 pm

It's time for an update, an update where I have actually done something! The last week I done some work to the layout for the first time in over six months.

First update:
I have a DCC controller, a Roco Multimaus. I picked it up from eBay, with a best offer accepted by the seller.
Until I have chipped my loco's this will be for operating the points only.
I know that this is generally the wrong way around (DCC loco's, then points) But I already have two ADS-8FX's for control of the points, and it saves me from having to build and somehow connect a control panel to the layout.

Second update:
I have painted grey around the track in preparation for ballasting. But, I have only painted the left hand side.
This is the most complete side, as all of the track is stuck down; all the surface mounted point motors have been attached; and holes have been drilled under the remaining points for the under board point motors.
P1030216 by Anthony, on Flickr

I have also painted the platform. It is only the first coat just to see what it would look like.
P1030219 by Anthony, on Flickr

Third update:
The wiring for the track bus is 99.99% complete!

I have attached three switches to the front of the layout, and two sockets to the baseboard.
P1030221 by Anthony, on Flickr

The three switches from left to right are:
1) Power/Isolate (This one is pretty much useless while I'm using DC. When it's converted to DCC this will be for programming)
2) and 3) Siding 1 and 2 Isolation (These are for isolating two sidings while running DC so I can have two trains on the layout at a time)

And here is the rats nest of wires underneath:
P1030220 by Anthony, on Flickr

Once I have the wires/connectors sorted for bridging the divide, I will be able to play trains whenever I want and not have to faff around joining the two halves with odd bits of wire, and then connecting the controller.

After wiring up the sockets, and the switches, I'm wondering if the wire I'm using is man enough for the job.
I have used the wire from 1.5mm cable for the main bus. For the droppers, and all the wires between the switches and sockets, is 16/0.2 wire.
Does anyone know if this is ok?

I'll probably not be able to do anything to the layout until after the weekend, as we will be busy, but I should at least have a small update for next week.

All the best, Anthony
Last edited by roganty on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Its coming along nicely (again), your wire sizes are more than man enough for the size of layout in N :)
What do you intend to use for the split/hinge connectors?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”