Gantsville - Building an HO Inglenook

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
nickbrad

Re: Gantsville - Building an HO Inglenook

Postby nickbrad » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Tree production is being delayed, but not for a reason I'd have expected..... all my usual places to go to for filler powder do not have any in stock, (or only have branded pollyfilla for almost £4 a small box). Once I locate somewhere that actually has some, my trees will hopefully start coming to life.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:32 pm

Rain around - That should give nice green trees !!
Still watching !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Finally found some filler and experiments are undergoing......

I thought the mix would be too stiff with just PVA and powder, so added some water, but that seems to have made it too runny, so the next tree will get an attempt with just pva/powder mix. Another tree i tried putting a masking tape wrap on , but I think I need to strip that back as it's unravelling in places with the mix over it, making the smaller branches too bulky, but if you don't try these things, you don't learn.

Anyway, a poor pic on progress,
Last edited by nickbrad on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Picked up a couple of items today from an ebay seller 3 miles away, rather than pay postage, I just go collect. She does have unrealistic expectations on a Triang Connie, (which you can read about shortly in the relevant ebay madness thread,) but overall, some bargains to be had. Take a look at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Walkers-Antique-Collectables?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

My first purchase, one I had originally glossed over and ruled out as I wasn't sure what it was, was a Marx Gondola for £1.49

I watched it go by 3 times without selling, before a casual google search suggested it was american outline, from as early as 1956. Now, I'm pretty sure it isn't that old, that's tin plate era, but nonetheless, it's certainly vintage and now I don't know whether to just make a removable load to cover the weight rivetted inside or go to town and bring it right up to date with wire handrails, wheels etc.

The second item is a Triang Transcontinental dome car, spurred by a bid on a dummy transcontinental loco from the same seller, plus a silver TC passenger coach to go with them, which is due to finish this weekend. Suffice to say I didn't win the loco or I'd be showing it off here, but the coach is a fixer upper and shouldn't look too out of place is a rake of matched coaches when I buy them.

Last edited by nickbrad on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:38 pm

All updated now with pictures reinstated, apart from the previous post, which I shall update after I've had some food. Thanks to having all these pictures in a single file on my pc, uploading and replacing the links wasn't too difficult, although I do feel sympathy for those with hundreds or even thousands of pictures to replace, like Geoff.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:35 pm

nickbrad wrote:Finally found some filler and experiments are undergoing......

I thought the mix would be too stiff with just PVA and powder, so added some water, but that seems to have made it too runny, so the next tree will get an attempt with just pva/powder mix. Another tree i tried putting a masking tape wrap on , but I think I need to strip that back as it's unravelling in places with the mix over it, making the smaller branches too bulky, but if you don't try these things, you don't learn.

Anyway, a poor pic on progress,

I've used wall filler. It is a bit brittle and hard to get to stick but when it does and when painted with acrylic is is OK. I've also seen hot glue guns used.

These had been used and then reused

ww13.JPG

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:09 pm

They're some good looking trees, I really need to get on and add some foliage to my 2 tree armatures I have here. There always seems to be something else taking up my time though.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:42 pm

Just a small update, I've been playing with creating a row of bushes along the back, but I'm not sure if I'm happy with it or not.

I need to trim some more of the hair that's poking out and there will be a row of trees in front of this so I'm not sure, it may be okay for background scenery. If not, at least it's only cost me pence to make.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:27 pm

Welcome to 2018 and a tentative attempt to post something at least once a week somewhere on the forum, (either here or in the Budgetbrooke thread, (depending on geographical location of what I've modelled). So, without further ado, here's some poor photography and accompanying words.

The first thing to talk about briefly is the Burlington Northern track cleaning car I acquired in an exchange with Glencairn. Pre-weathered, it makes quite a contrast with my pristine, non-track cleaning version. I may have to do something about that, (although these being designed for food haulage, I am not sure how dirty they should really be).

Moving on, some of you may have already seen from the NRM Tour thread that I have planted some trees and a tiny bit of ballasting by the road. I thought I'd show them off a bit more here for those that may have missed it, trees are a mix of cheap chinese versions, one self made tree by the road, and a couple of gaugemaster ones. The latter two are better than the chinese ones in terms of height, but I am undecided if the type of tree depicted is right for the location.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:36 am

Glad to see the boxcar on show :D

Some good looking trees and bushes, nickbrad.

May I add. — In nature, there are many colours of green. The different shades, the colours are amazing. In the bushes you find many other colours as well. You will find there are reds, yellows, whites and even blues. The little flowers growing within the safety of the bushes.

Take a look at the bushes and trees , especially throughout the year, you will be amazed. Amazed so much, you will not see the colour black in nature.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:05 am

I do need to dust the trees and bushes in more autumnal colours to match the leaf fall on the floor, the hedge at the back I am still undecided about. It was an experiment in what's possible for as little financial outlay as possible, the blitzed up sponge is still too coarse for my liking, but until you try these things, you just don't know. Keeping the hair base in check has also been a problem.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:31 pm

More of a theory based post this week as I have been taken in by a couple of Udemy courses to improve my skills and career prospects going forward, but I was thinking about the building required on Gantsville.
A long time ago I showed off a Muir Models kit and I would like to begin building it in the next few days, but as it's not a permanent choice, I've been thinking about a sub base that I can slot in to the scenery and then remove the building when I am ready to place my final scratchbuild in, whilst being able to reuse the Muir building on another future layout. Does anyone else do this and if so, do you make the base to the size of the building or do you make it oversized and then blend in the scenery around it? Also, how thick do you make the sub base, just one or 2 mm, or something more substantial?

I'll leave now with a question, does anyone know where I can find a cheap 70s-80s pickup truck to go on the layout? I've been keeping an eye out for a while, but I don't want to spend £20+ on one static road vehicle.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:58 pm

nickbrad wrote:Does anyone else do this and if so, do you make the base to the size of the building or do you make it oversized and then blend in the scenery around it? Also, how thick do you make the sub base, just one or 2 mm, or something more substantial?

Yes me, principle should be choice of three.
Small - Slot, open bottom building into recess (defined by pavement/bushes/patio,etc).
Medium - Build on 2-3mm plastic or ply and include garden (paths/hedges/walls/bushes) and use features as he boundary interface.
Large - Build on 4-6mm ply and include several buildings, large features like carparks, industrial buildings etc and use features (paths/hedges/walls/bushes) as the boundary interface.

Small will be hard to replace as its a defined size (but makes for easy rework/maintenance). Medium allows major but easy change. Large could be standalone diorama but may need to be integrated to frame, rather than just "sitting" on top of the main board.
Medium should be 100x100mm to about 250x250mm, small less than 150x150mm, large above 300mm.
Don't be tempted to use thinner base or card, anything that can warp over the years, will!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:28 am

I'm thinking of going with the medium option, it's what I was considering originally, but wanted to see what other people's thoughts were before committing myself. As for what to mount it on, I still have plenty of the 3mm thick closed cell insulation foam I purchased a couple of years back for Budgetbrooke and what I am thinking of doing is, assemble the building on a sub base of this, however, because of this particular building being placed onto an existing baseboard, this will leave the building sitting proud of the rest of the land. In order to combat this, I plan to cut the foam 10mm larger than the base I have planned, then essentially cut a 10mm frame out which I can stick to the baseboard, then contour the ground up to that, leaving my recess for the building base to slot into. On future layouts, of which I have a few planned as freemo compliant modules, I shall include a layer of the blue foam which can then easily have cutouts for buildings to be placed into.

Also, I was feeling guilty for not having any pictures in my previous post, so I grabbed a poorly lit one of my newly erected bookshelf out of reclaimed materials which includes a couple of storage shelves for models to sit on, rather than hid away in boxes that need to be pulled out every time I want to run something.

I should mention that this is the lower of the 2 shelves and that one is at eye level, so no danger of models being knocked accidentally. The lower part of this unit also protrudes 450mm, so no danger of getting too close.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”