Gantsville - Building an HO Inglenook

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
nickbrad

Re: Gantsville - Building an HO Inglenook

Postby nickbrad » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:42 pm

On my part, testing is very much a manual process, with all this great weather and the discovery of Ingress, the scenic/detailing side has slowed now I have a working model. I am sure it will pick up again after my hospital visit at the end of September which reminds me, I need to pick up a couple of kits to assemble during my stay :)

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:27 pm

Well, I've been out of hospital for a while and today, decided to get the trackwork finally put to bed in regards to wiring and sticking it down. I will say one thing, Copydex is stinky stuff.

Last edited by nickbrad on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:46 am

Ok, plans today or tomorrow is to put a bit of paint on my backscene, but I am after advice on which way to go about it, I don't want it to peel or flake off.

You may recall that it's made from hardboard that was salvaged from the back of a cheap bookcase and so has a rather shiny surface.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:49 am

Hope things are generally good for you now.

Paint ? Well pre-painted surfaces would benefit from a light sanding with a fine
sand paper to remove shine and give somewhere for paint to key in. Will that
stop any flaking ? ........ no promises because we don't know the original paint
formula, but it gives you the best possible chance !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:23 pm

Just spotted your "point actuator" Nice to know I'm not alone. Most of my points and all of my signals are operated from the edge of the board by combinations of straightened paper clips. They even have the heads of map pins pressed onto the ends to form a knob, coloured to match the lines on the diagram. connectors are the brass bits out of choc blocks.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:29 pm

It's the base surface atm, which is like a laminate. I'm not sure if snading it would work, but i'll give it a go.

Just spotted your "point actuator" Nice to know I'm not alone. Most of my points and all of my signals are operated from the edge of the board by combinations of straightened paper clips. They even have the heads of map pins pressed onto the ends to form a knob, coloured to match the lines on the diagram. connectors are the brass bits out of choc blocks.

In this case, they are temporary, I do have some US style point levers to install, which are functional, albeit out of scale. I did get a few discouraging comments elsewhere about them and how I should at least move them to the front edge, but personally I am sticking with my decision to have them at the side of the rail.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:39 pm

Appropriate place for them in a switching yard. :)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:05 pm

I would say less jokes, more modelling, but as you already manage to do much more modelling than me....... :lol:

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:07 pm

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for the terrible lighting, but I wanted to show that I am continuing work, rather than just a single brief spurt then leaving again for months....

Here I am installing the guide rails that can be seen in the road crossing at Taylorsville, NC, which is what my model is very loosely based upon scenically.

There has also been work on the landscape using paper covered polystyrene. I know a lot of people prefer plaster soaked bandages, but i went for the PVA soaked paper for 2 reasons, 1) it's what I had to hand and I didn't want to waste my enthusiasm to progress and 2) I'm always looking to do things cheaply if possible due to a low income and this fitted the bill.

I have also laid down some grey sky, using a tester pot of paint over a white base, but sadly there's rather more brush marks than I'd like. Is there a way to disguise/get rid of these or should I strip it down and try again? Or, do I leave it for now as it's only for my own enjoyment anyway and come back to it once the rest of the scenery is done? It's not going to be permanently stuck to the back of the layout, a couple of screws will see it removed.
Last edited by nickbrad on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Has it really been that long since an update?

Aaaaanyway, I went to the TVNAM show last weekend in Handsacre and whilst there made a few purchases to extend my rolling stock, plus also found some Preiser figures which will be great for railroad workers.

An Athearn yellow box stock car which needs the trucks assembling and couplings sourced, I would like to find some metal wheelsets first though and there touch up the odd spot of flaked off paint.

An Athearn Roundhouse model, I have no practical use for a reefer, but wanted one and for £10, I figured why not.

One for Rob, an Athearn blue box this time, sees ATSF represented with a 50ft boxcar.

The aforementioned figures. More than I'd normally pay, but exactly what I needed. If I can find one or 2 seated figures for engineers, I'm good.

Just before the show, I also spent some time browsing ebay for bargains and although not the steal of the century, £8.01 including postage saw me double up on unneeded reefers.

Unsuitable for running with the other one and both longer than planned for my shunting puzzle, this Atlas model is nonetheless a smooth roller.

I have also been buying up some cheap chinese trees to fill out the scenery, but at just 85mm, I am undecided on them. I'll probably mix them in with some homebrewed examples made from florist wire.
Last edited by nickbrad on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kindling

Postby Kindling » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:42 pm

Many years ago, I saw an 00 layout using 1/32 Britains trees effectively. Would trees for 0 gauge be suitable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SS220-4pcs-Mo ... 1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G17055-4pcs-T ... 0297105265

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G16090-16pcs- ... 1438.l2649

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:18 pm

I have considered O gauge trees, but the price is what has led me to make my own, (or at least attmpt to). I do have a 30cm high wire frame already from a couple of years back, but it looks too large for HO, it's like a 200 year old oak in OO. My current attempts are around the 15 - 20 cm range, I am hoping I can intersperse the Chinese ones as well as younger trees.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:41 pm

Moving on with my wire tree attempts, I decided to try something I have seen on youtube and elsewhere, but always put off trying myself, despite having all the items to hand.

So, I pulled out my old blender, (not used for food consumption due to using a plastic bodied jug to crush ice, which damaged the ribs inside and cracked around the base, although it doesn't leak,) mixed up some cheap acrylic paint in some water and cut up some cheap sponges, (after removing the scourers). Into the blender they went, and below you can see the results.

Here I used a mix of yellow ochre on blue sponge, (do NOT use blue sponge would be my advice as it doesn't take the colour very well,) and then orange on yellow sponge. The orange may be a little too bright, but I think it will be ok in moderation for an Autumn/fall colour.

This I am more happy with, a mix of red and yellow sponges I think this was with green paint, which I then part way through blending though was a little bright so I squirted a bit of brown poster paint into the blender. What I ended up with was this lovely 2 tone stuff that I think I will add to my chinese trees to introduce a bit of variety to the dark single colour tone, as well as my own trees.

I do want to try making a dark green foliage using some nettle dye, will have to see how that goes though when I have some more sponges to go at. (As an aside, the scourers won't be wasted, torn apart into "layers", they will provide a good base draped over the branches for the scatter to affix to.)
Last edited by nickbrad on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi Nick,

Tree making has caught my attention !!
It's something I've chickened out of doing, but as you've alluded to
decent size trees cost a small fortune.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:26 pm

I'm roughly using the methods described in the Dec 2013 BRM magazine for the trunks, I had a look at the prices for postiche and the like for the fine branches, but the cost would push me into commercial tree territory, with no guarantee of the same quality result. Time will tell if the teased out scourers will suffice, my first tree will hopefully be finished by wednesday or thursday so others can judge for themselves and hopefully be inspired to try it.

I am sure you will have no difficulties Geoff, based on your other work, unless of course you borrow a blender from the kitchen :lol:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”