Brockbank mainly Southern

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ken Shabby

Brockbank mainly Southern

Post by Ken Shabby »

After 7 years on the forum here is my as yet unnamed layout, which is being designed to portray the Southern region from the early fifties up to around 1988.
The station consists of 3 platforms , 2 are terminating platforms which can allow a large loco to run round 4 MK1 coaches , the 3rd platform is on a curve which then takes trains into a tunnel and off scene to a fictious station at the docks (just the fiddle yard).
This allows the trains to run round and round or terminate and restart in the platforms.
As yet there is no scenery or ballast, but hopefully this should give you a general idea.
I have mislaid my tape measure, so the measurements and a track plan will appear shortly.

The view from the buffer stops, with a cut down Hornby shelter on the through platform.

A test train goes off scene into the fiddle yard, a over bridge will be built here.

Image[/u
The through platform and tunnel mouth, the town will be built over the tunnel.

[url=http://s32.photobucket.com/user/DV72/media/20160525_105358_zpsecheizfz.jpg.html]Image

Looking towards the buffer stops . The station buildings will most probably be made up of Superquick Island platform buildings cut up and re arranged around the bufferstops.

Thats all for now.
Ken
Last edited by Ken Shabby on Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
End2end

Re: Mainly Southern and as yet unnamed

Post by End2end »

Youv'e intrigued me Ken. :) Can we see a picture of the cut down Hornby shelter please?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I do like where you have a large expanse of platform, so often platforms are squeezed into
the absolute minimum of space.

Geoff T.
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

End2end wrote:Youv'e intrigued me Ken. :) Can we see a picture of the cut down Hornby shelter please?
Thanks
End2end
Here's the shelter which will need repainting before it's glued into postion. It had it's staff room chopped off a few years back, the phone cabinet was found in my scrap box and was added to hide the fact it's slightly lopsided. :)
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks for obliging Ken :) I like what youv'e done with it and wonder what 2 would look like as an extended waiting shelter?. Hmmm??
I actually repainted mine although I want to cover the white undercoat colour eventually with a more GWR cream colour but I may have to extend your idea of a telephone box or some sort of external addage to mine :idea: :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

Looking good so far, I like the idea of a terminus 'and' through station, best of both worlds.

Look forward to more updates as things progress.

Jim.
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Some progress has been made recently, the tunnel has been constructed , the roof of which is a sandwich of hardboard and very thin layers of polystrene. This has made it strong and ridged.
The tunnel is supported by my son's old wooden alphabet blocks glued underneath 2 blocks high (nothing gets wasted round here :) ).
The back scene when it is fiited will have a large enough space cut in it to allow the removal of any derailed stock and track cleaning .
The tunnel roof is as yet not fixed down, neither is the tunnel mouth, although this will hopefully happen within the next few weeks.
Also the station yard has been laid and the point motors fitted, also at the other end of the scenic section an overbridge which form part of the scenic break has been mocked up.
My main problem since my last post has been spending too much time tinkering with old 2nd hand locos instead of getting on with actually building the layout.

Photobucket is running so slowly I can only upload one photo at the moment, sorry.

Bye for now , Ken

Ken Shabby

Re: Mainly Southern and as yet unnamed .Aug small update

Post by Ken Shabby »

A couple more photos which I've finally managed to load

The bridge at the other end of the scenic section with my bootfair find (50p) Dinky Dublo Austin lorry and the ends of the sidings.

The other end of the yard with my C class in one of the sidings and a Wrenn N2 in the platform.
The goods shed is a Ratio kit, I just realised there should be a small platform in front of the shed to aid unloading. The track is his siding will be almost buried in cinders, so I've covered the sleepers in air drying clay.

Ken
Spavo

Re: Mainly Southern and as yet unnamed .Aug small update

Post by Spavo »

A good update friend and like the way it's coming together, keep the updates coming and don't forget to let us have a look at a track plan when you have time.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
Ken Shabby

Re: Mainly Southern , still unnamed nearly 5 years later

Post by Ken Shabby »

Although work on my still unnamed layout has been deathly slow , I have be working on it gradually as time allows. It has been nearly 5 years since the last update, and at the time of the last one all of the track was down and the points were wired up. Since then I have spent many hours operating it even though it's looked a proper mess with tools scattered everywhere and items of stock dumped on the platform and on the line side.
Since Christmas , I've been making any effort to work on the scenery, much of it was half completed a couple of years back and was starting to look tired due to dust and sunlight. This week work was almost completed on the station, so I've posted a couple of pictures.
The buildings are chopped about Superquick kits, with Hornby canopies . The Taxi rank hut is a old Triang building. As you can see there's still a fair amount of tidying and painting of road surfaces to do.
I will try and post some more pictures and a track early next week.
Ken
forecourt.jpg
taxirank.jpg
platforms.jpg
Ken Shabby

Re: Mainly Southern and as yet unnamed .

Post by Ken Shabby »

Here's a rather rough track plan,
trackplan.jpg
My wife is off getting her hair done, so there was no one to assist with the tape measure, however it is approx 5 foot by 10 foot .
It has two terminating platforms and a third through platform which is supposed to be for the harbour branch (actually the fiddle yard).
There is room to run round 4 MK1 coaches in one of the terminating platforms, and 3 Mk1s in the other.
All points are small radius Peco Streamine insulfrog and the controllers are 2 H&M Clippers. One for the mainline line and one to shunt the goods yard.
Here's a couple of photos .
platform33mt.jpg
A Triang £MT tank in Platform 3
towardsthegoodsyard.jpg
Looking from Platform 1 over towards the goods yard
dmuarrives.jpg
A recently restored Triang DMU, which is now pretending to be a Class 101 arriving at Platform 3. Much of the scenery in this last photos is unfinished .

Ken
Villeneuve

Post by Villeneuve »

Wonderful layout. Congrats.
For the worst, I'm the best ! Image
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

More work has taken place on the forecourt and station approach this week.
I've added a sky back scene , and another house next to the cafe. The house is made from the remains of a ancient Bilteezi kit , and the cafe is salvaged from various Superquick parts. The Citroen D.S is a slightly over scale Husky model.
forecourtmay.jpg

I've moved the clock forward from the 60's, and I've been mainly running NSE stock.
nseday.jpg
Ken
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Definitely a Southern feel to it, and I like the "non-uniform" appearance of the street buildings in the first photo above.
fourtytwo

Post by fourtytwo »

Great work Ken, these Nonames are growing on me, I just started one too, less worry about conforming to some prototypical ideal and an excuse to run anything you like :) the scenery is coming along nicely. I know what you mean by the sun all my layouts start to look like the desert before I have even completed them, maybe it's a hint to move my prototype somewhere hot and parched!
A fresh start in OO, DC Steam