Tillingham - my mini 00 layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Huggy

Tillingham - my mini 00 layout

Postby Huggy » Fri May 13, 2016 12:04 pm

Having completed my "test piece" 009 narrow gauge layout (well more of a diorama really see photo), as my first serious model railway attempt, I feel I learned a lot, but while not ruling out a return to the NG form for a later project - I've decided that small layouts are to my liking, and I don't have a lot of space anyway - the greater availability of ready to run and especially good used rolling stock in 00 is more viable at this stage in my (late starting) railway modelling "career". Though most serious layout builders seem to go for live frog points and flexible track throughout, and indeed keeping even a small 009 layout running with anything else is admittedly tricky, I'm not intending an exhibition layout, do want to keep things simple in the wiring department, and actually want a roundy-round layout to give locos a decent run for my money, even if that is a bit trainset-ish. Having read lots of magazine articles and forum posts on small layouts, and pondered a few designs, I've come up with the one here, which is just laid out to see how it fits, on a two-piece 1200 x 1200mm baseboard, made from 38x50mm prepared timber bearers with a 9mm ply top - I'm not quite ready for open-top construction yet!
After much deliberation I settled for Peco Setrack for most of the main oval, and non-live points including two curved ones to help fit it all on, with some flexible track for the sidings, again to make maximum use of space. This may seem a little weird to many of you! Having laid it out, and tested running, a few changes were made to arrive at what's shown, none of which is yet fixed, but has given me an opportunity to run some stock and see how it will work operationally. I intended using point motors, but on such a small board, with the controller in the right place, all four points will be easily reached to operate manually. The side nearest the camera will be fully scenic, and feature a small through station with two-siding yard, the rear part will be a fiddle facility, partly built over with some low relief buildings and backscene; the siding at the top right will be changed to a short cassette fed one in due course. Yes, some parts of the layout are rather close to the edge of the board, but I'm planning on some fending/walls to help retain vehicles in the event of any off-track excursions, and maybe some transparent sheet (Perspex type) if needs be on the scenic side.
From the outset, I decided it would be a Heritage railway, to enable me to run whatever I can get my hands on (even if examples of some locos or stock may no longer exist - after all, it is fictional!) - but I have tentative plans to make certain elements interchangeable, so that I could make it without too much messing about into a working late 1950s early 1960s steam and early diesel line. For instance, the Goods Shed in the station yard could have been converted to a workshop in preservation years, with the second siding no longer for coal or livestock, but permanent way materials and rolling stock. That's all ideas in progress, we'll see how it goes. I would want to get some Southern locos and other stock for the older version, and in those days there would be a working chalk pit "just up the line" and a terminus elsewhere that provides a bit of goods traffic, although that was never a big feature of Southern lines, but I've found I do quite enjoy weathering things, and got hold of some old metal Farish wagons from EBay to try my hand (also pictured) which are rather nice and would fit into such a scenario, if not finding much use on a Heritage line.
So, it's under way, and hopefully any future updates won't be quite as lengthy as this epistle, all comments and suggestions welcome, I'm still learning. Oh, by the way Tillingham is the name of a river in my neck of the woods down in East Sussex, and I thought it sounded good for the small town that my station is purported to serve.
Edited - removed links to Flickr gallery as being a bit clunky, see further post below for images
Last edited by Huggy on Fri May 13, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ex-Pat

Re: Tillingham - my mini 00 layout

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri May 13, 2016 1:29 pm

I particularly like the close-up photo of the Sandyvale Building Products sliding doors. The dress and stance of the “foreman” on the right puts me in mind of David Jason’s Arkwright from “Open All Hours” – nice weathering on the sliding doors, and good detail in the hacked off brickwork in the door frame.

Huggy

Postby Huggy » Fri May 13, 2016 2:24 pm

Ha ha yes! That's exactly what I thought - could do with a G-g-g -Granville to go with him :D
I am getting quite absorbed with details like weathering, though I've got a lot to learn. Just about to set about a spare Farish 7-plank wagon body that will look good as a primitive "skip" filled with junk and scrap in a corner of the layout somewhere...

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri May 13, 2016 2:45 pm

That oval would work great as a dual sided layout, with a backscene positioned down the middle where the track currently sits, giving you somewhere to run the trains to and from and the illusion of more space than there actually is.

I'm not sure where Sandyvale fits into the picture, but it's a great little scene as a standalone model :)

Huggy

Postby Huggy » Fri May 13, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi Nick - that's exactly the plan! The tracks down the middle are just a couple of lengths of flexi laid there temporarily for storage purposes; the backscene will run about 3 -4 inches in on the rear board, so to all intents and purposes, viewing-wise, the station and background town scene and any other scenic bits and bobs will be out front, with the storage siding that runs into the centre, and the proposed cassette section, hidden from view.
Sandyvale is my 009 project that I cut my teeth on, so's to speak, as it gave me some experience in track-laying, buildings, scenery, small details etc, as I'd never done this before (my other main hobby is RC model aircraft, so using glues and balsa wood and a bit of electrical work was about all that was relevant to railways!). It is to all intents and purposes a standalone "layout", I can attach a short length of track on a board to where the line exits stage right for a little bit of running. Thanks for the compliment!

Huggy

Postby Huggy » Fri May 13, 2016 5:20 pm

Right, having sorted out how to insert images properly (thanks to Bufferstop), here are a few, starting with the basic layout (since tweaked a bit), only the front half will be scenic, with backscene roughty down the middle of the two boards.

Then my first wagon weathering efforts, some of the motive power gathered so far from various sources - only one new is the 03 shunter - and finally my Sandyvale 009 project that got me started. Hope this works.

DSCF1462w_edited-1.jpg
DSCF1462w_edited-1.jpg (237.2 KiB) Viewed 853 times
DSCF1464w.jpg
DSCF1464w.jpg (99.6 KiB) Viewed 853 times
DSCF1465w.jpg
DSCF1465w.jpg (156 KiB) Viewed 853 times
DSCF1457wa.jpg
DSCF1457wa.jpg (242.08 KiB) Viewed 853 times
DSCF1410_edited-1.jpg
DSCF1410_edited-1.jpg (176.6 KiB) Viewed 853 times

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri May 13, 2016 10:14 pm

I like the little 009: for a test piece, very nicely finished.

You decided against a passing or run-round loop, then, either visible or off-stage?
Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Huggy

Postby Huggy » Sat May 14, 2016 12:15 am

Yes Chris, too tight to fit that in really, and it will be "one engine in steam" to all intents and purposes . I was quite pleased with the finished 009 article, glad you like it. :D

Huggy

Postby Huggy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:23 pm

OK, well after a summer break, it's back to work on the railway. The track has now been properly laid and fixed as per the earlier layout. I did think about using flexi track for the oval ends instead of Setrack, but after consultation with my local model shop proprietor, a good chap, he thought I should stick with the plan as radii are of necessity quite tight. The track is laid on 18" cork to give a bit of a shoulder, stuck with Deluxe Speedbond, which works well, but has the advantage that grippy as it, it can still be levered apart with a steel rule when some clot fails to notice a couple of sections of track haven't been locked into the fishplate connectors properly. Trains don't enjoy steps as you know.... And I thought I'd checked carefully. Anyway, all's well now and tests have been good.
In order to give the electricity a better shot at the job, I've put in five sets of droppers, which each of the two boards will have hooked up to copper strip conductors, with connector blocks to enable the two halves of the layout to be dismantled for storage if needed. Oh, and I built up a Superquick Goods Shed just to get a break from track laying, which I think looks pretty good, and will be "dirtied up" for the late '50s look. Oh yes, I decided to go for an earlier period first off (see my first post), but intend having a few key items interchangeable in due course with more modern stuff to portray the modern day "heritage" version.
Next job - do some more testing (OK, playing with trains...) then cut the track at the board joints, turn over and finish the wiring before starting on some ballasting and landscaping. Just as soon as the unseasonably nice weather ceases again!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”