Newtonmore - N Gauge in the Highlands, again!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Newtonmore - N Gauge in the Highlands, again!

Postby Dad-1 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:55 am

Hi LukeB,

There are 3 other photos from that visit. 2 looking south, one with that DMU waiting.
Another looking north with just the track going out into the distance.
If you think you'd like copies just PM me with your email address. Each picture is
about 1.3/4 Mb so can be enlarged quite a lot if wanted to look at any details.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu May 19, 2016 10:04 am

Looks cracking Luke! That backscene in particular totally "sells" the location.

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:44 pm

It's been a little while, summer was always going to slow things down. However my wife's away this week so I'm hoping to add to some grass laying I started in May. No photos of that yet but the light was really nice this evening and in the couple of minutes the bright sun flashed by the window I snapped this.

More later in the week hopefully.

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:48 pm

Well, my static grass work is done now. It was delayed a bit by my wait for some 4mm stuff for the middle of the northern field, which is more boggy, and the areas by the track. I've found that my previous issues with applicators - which I thought were the source of the problems - turned out to be poor quality static grass, this time I've used stuff from Woodland Scenics and it's worked exactly how it should.

Here's the results in modern image form.

I also bought a new house, this replaces the Lyddle End Goathland Station which looks too "Yorkshire" for a Scottish layout.

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:04 pm

Luke

That grass has really worked

Well done

Great to see you back

I am in semi permanent brigadoon mode at present due to the impending wedding of my middle daughter, with another, of my youngest next August

:(

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:54 am

I'll admit that the height of summer isn't my usual modelling time but my wife has been away with work and was away last night, and i have had plenty of time to get out in the sun too, so I have had enough time to look at the layout.

It is taking much longer than Ealasaid and I'm looking forward to getting some detail down, once it starts really coming to life I think I'll be more motivated to play with it more!

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:41 pm

As I said earlier...." Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:41 pm

Top marks for taking the destruction as an opportunity, rather than being disheartened (as I'm sure I would have been).

Looking forward to the new and better version!"

This new one IS very good - impressive shots of big modern traction passing the distillery absolutely first class.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:47 pm

A little break over the summer and now I'm back at playing trains. Lately I've had a good deal of time to work on Newtonmore, due to a mystery illness I'm at home a lot.

I'm currently on with the most infuriating job since wiring up, laying down the fencing. I looked high and low for fencing that would be appropriate off the shelf but most N gauge fencing is wooden posts and rails, and the fencing around Newtonmore is all barbed wire. I was left with the option of making my own, which I've made out of brass wire sprayed with primer and strung with EZ Wire, a stretchy elastic thin stringy type of thing, used my model aircraft builders for rigging. You can't really see it but it's much more to scale than off the shelf stuff.

I made it by glueing the fence posts to a piece of ply at 5mm intervals (which would stretch to a scale 6-7mm interval once planted) and then stringing the EZ Wire across the board, glueing it at one end and using the reel it comes on to keep it taught enough to be straight at the other end. This was then glued with a tiny amount of superglue to each post, then repeated three times for each row. A thousand blobs of superglue later...

I also started planting my trees from previous layout and all of a sudden it came to life! I can't believe the difference these and some vehicles has made to it, it's given me a great deal of motivation to crack on.

As you'll see, I've also put up some signals and a few of the buildings have been temporarily put down (mostly so I could have a running session yesterday!). I think I've decided that the station buildings and footbridge will not be glued down so it's easier to take photos (with the proper camera, these are still all from my phone).

Next will be foliage I think, the trees look a bit funny plonked straight into grass so I need to put some undergrowth in there.

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Oh, and I've realised Notroh was (obviously) correct- I need some storage sidings around the back! Once the scenics are roughly where I want them I'll put some in.

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:54 pm

There's dedication and attention to detail and THEN there's "....This was then glued with a tiny amount of superglue to each post, then repeated three times for each row. A thousand blobs of superglue later..."

Difficult to believe that some of the shots are N scale. Wonderful stuff. Thanks for the photos.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:04 pm

Luke,

Good to see you back modelling...

That mystery illness of yours must have addled your brain a little, taking my advice indeed :)

Peter
French N, too much fun!

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:41 am

Well, after a good solid week of modelling I've put the layout away for a week or so as my wife returns from a conference tomorrow. However, I had a little play first-

It's a weekday and the LMS local stopping service trundles in from Kingussie to terminate at Newtonmore.

It heads towards the bay platform and uses the goods yard siding to run around its train.

It pops back out onto the mainline to bring up the rear of the train.

And then finally runs its coaches onto the platform.

Before the stopper departs in a couple of hours the LNER afternoon pick up goods is on its way to drop off some cattle wagons, but first the distillery shunter must get the vans dropped off yesterday out of the goods yard. It runs out onto the mainline.

Then into the goods siding. You can see here that I've installed some speed signs.

With the vans collected it returns to the distillery siding for the vans to be loaded. Meanwhile a tanker leaves to take some whisky to a blender.

The pick up goods turns up a little while later. It's seen here from the footbridge.

It reverses it's train into the siding and drops off the cattle wagons.

It then heads north, next stop dropping a van off in Kingussie.

And finally, a short while later, the stopper service departs north towards Grantown on Spey.

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:45 pm

It was my birthday in August and I took the opportunity to branch out into an entirely different era. I fancied some of the stuff I saw when I was little just before privatisation kicked off.

My parents got me a lovely Class 47 in Scotrail. These were fairly common on the Highland Main Line once they'd been replaced by DMUs on the Edinburgh/Glasgow push pull service. As you can see though it's replacement is waiting in the wings in the form of a Dapol 156 (which is sadly a static exhibit now as the mice have destroyed the motor, I've just ordered a replacement).

Now, you might be thinking "that's a funny place for a signal box" but Newtonmore has a signal box in pretty much this location that was new in the late 20th century and is used as holiday accomodation.

My in-laws got me this Dapol Class 27. I've yet to add some of the detail to this but you can see it hauling a Speedlink train south, also comprised of new stock in the form of some Peco Railfreight stock and the excellent Farish Polybulk wagon.

And finally a Farish Class 60, seen here trundling south on a cement train. These didn't really visit Scotland when they were new, except on some engineering trains, but I really like them so got one anyway. It's called Ben Nevis, that'll do, won't it?

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:56 am

I have finally finished the basic structure of my platforms. They needed some filler putting in the joins between the sheets of plasticard, which was sanded smooth. While I was doing this I also filled in some of the car-swallowing potholes in the road. The white patches of filler and bits of bare coloured card that form the platform structure were then painted with Desert Tan acrylic. The back edge of the bay platform has been filled with Dapol N scale ballast crushed up in a pestle and mortar to match what's currently on the real platform. It certainly makes the area look a lot more finished, and fencing will disguise the rough back edge of the platform nearest the front.

I have also bought some working lights from China, and some grain of wheat LEDs. I hadn't originally planned to have working lights on the layout but it seemed like a good opportunity to add some brightness to the layout, and as winter is approaching I was thinking of the dark 3pm walks home from when I lived up there.

The lights destined for the platforms were repainted to match the Scotrail station colour scheme and installed by drilling through my lovely freshly finished platforms - fortunately without mishap! Installing the grain of wheat LEDs inside the buildings was trickier as all the ones that needed light apart from the station building were superglued to the layout. Careful measuring and drilling from underneath fortunately went without mishap. I just have to wire them all up now. Great, I love wiring... :roll:

This photo also shows the fencing from Peedie Models that I've installed. These are brass etches. There's more things from them to fit later.

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:49 pm

Luke

Some cracking shots, I love the brass etchings (and the 4F in your earlier post)

It's funny isn't it? things always go better on the next build - that's the joy of modelling I suppose

Peter
French N, too much fun!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”