He's finally cracked, I tell you! 2ft x 3ft in OO

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Emettman

Re: He's finally cracked, I tell you! 2ft x 3ft in OO

Postby Emettman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:49 pm

The ruddy thing works.
It's not beautiful but it works beautifully.
And having built one I know how I could build another more neatly and easily.
(though an old board game would have to be sacrificed.)

The thing.

("not bored" was from a display of fun "not bored" board games)

Track aligned.

Track disengages.
The turntable pivot moves backwards until hitting a stop which leaves the teeth in a "just clear" position.
The white tongue top right is the pivot bar for the turntable.

Table turns: to next track or right round.

Table moves forward to self-align with the boat-bow shaped tooth into \n approximately matching socket.
Perfect fit is not required. Each time the track is laid with its own tooth engaged. A bit like painting the target round the arrow after it's hit something.

Tested with an 0-6-0 as that is much nearer its tolerance limit on 10" radius than an 0-4-0.
All remarkably good.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:26 pm

Hi Chris, was moving the table in and out easier to achieve than simply moving the tongue? Like the 0-6-0 looks a bit like a fixed wheelbase version of the Ford factory Bo-Bo.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:50 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Hi Chris, was moving the table in and out easier to achieve than simply moving the tongue? Like the 0-6-0 looks a bit like a fixed wheelbase version of the Ford factory Bo-Bo.

Letting the table move back seemed to be the simplest way to get turn, proper alignment and lock in one move.
No need for a bolt or other mechanism.
The ends of the table are a bit springy, so the vertical alignment is also finalised in the alignment mechanism, rather than aiming at rigid and exact.
About half-way through I realised that the ideal shape for the peg and hole was a cone.
Ist thought the well=known pattern makers dowel, but I don't think that would have enough self aligning property.
Coppit playing pieces, however:

The flat tooth version could fairly easily be made to do an electrical connections, with a spring strip making either side of the dock, and a matching strip either side of each tooth. A different trick would be needed for exact vertical alignment

The loco is of course the heavy weight version of the familiar\ dock shunter.
I've also got a couple of smaller " Baby Dock" versions for light docksides and woodedn piers.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:45 pm

Is the 0-6-0 chassis the one from the old HD gronk ?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:59 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Is the 0-6-0 chassis the one from the old HD gronk ?

LIma 08. Very simple drive mechanism to convert to a variety of motors.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:37 pm

Slight digression: I couldn't resist this, though it hasn't got a place on my current build.
Playcraft double slip, with curved track of 15" radius.

Locos with both good and pretty crude wheels and flanges navigate it smoothly and reliably.
(Three battery dock shunters with knurled, smooth and replacement wheels...)
It needs a re-soldered connection before I can test it with track power (just feed power in along any of the branches : non-isolating)
But the impression is that that's pretty good too.

Meanwhile, all track is sized, all points have their rodding in place, but I haven't yet cut the grooves in the underlay for these where the sidings are, so the track there is still laid loose while everything else is fixed.

The great curved wall was put in at a "play safe" height, so I've got to look at my stock and see what's highest to find exactly how much I can trim off.
(Mad thought: I may make the top-cover there and all buildings removable, *also the tunnel entrance*, in case I decide to run it as an 0-16.5 version at a later date. Many of my converted locos have lift-off bodies, so it wouldn't take that much work)

Next decision: easy or more ornate for the slider/lever end of the point control wires.
I can't find the cast metal individual point levers that I've used in my garden (little firms disappear, far too often) so that leaves just the rather unappealing ancient Gem frame or... maybe the Ratio levers? The connecting-up there is not intuitively obvious, given the need to put some spring or play in the system.
"Hang on, lads, I've got a great idea..."

Chris

Edit: I've just realised this little 3 x 2 board is a game for up to five people: there are four frequencies of loco, plus one person on the turntable and point levers.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:28 pm

Write out one hundred timers: Always check the units. Always check the units.

Looking for options for signal box levers to work with my wire-in-tube point control, a stray image came up for a not-see-before Japanese item.
Looked nice, looked a tolerable price and at 7.25 cm a nice size. Sold out most places, but I did find a place I've not used before and got past the Japanese to order some.

Then I saw a reference to them being 7.24 inches high, rather than 7.24 centimetres.
I thought that was a slip by the seller but, checking further, it seems almost certainly not.
Seven inch levers. Dat's big.

"I'm reviewing the situation..."

Now if someone wants some nice big levers to play experiment with mechanical interlocking these could be quite fun.
I will report more when they arrive.

Tiddles

Postby Tiddles » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:46 am

Fantastic little layout.

I have a spare 2' by 4' baseboard that I do not knowwhat to do with.

You have just inspired me :D
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:49 am

Tiddles wrote:Fantastic little layout.

I have a spare 2' by 4' baseboard that I do not knowwhat to do with.

You have just inspired me :D

Thank you,
and seriously?
With that extra length, and track power, you'd probably have Peco SL-E97 Y, the small electrofrog Y as the point of choice, where usable.

I made a sketch...

No trimming of points, 10" radius Fleischmann 6020 on the end curve and elsewhere, flexitrack is easier than that, or would be part cut 6020 and part straight.
20" turntable certainly an inch or two more might be found in practice. Sidings 16" inside the curve, 17" for the two on lower edge.

To get more, especially to gain a few inches on each siding length, it would mean using smaller Playcraft insulfrog points, and possibly trimming those.

Do In O-16.5?

Chris

Tiddles

Postby Tiddles » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:00 pm

I am liling that idea alot.

I would probably use 19" cassettes instead of a turntable as I allready have some for a project that never happened.

I also have a standard Hornby turntable available.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:40 pm

Tiddles wrote:I am liling that idea alot.

I would probably use 19" cassettes instead of a turntable as I allready have some for a project that never happened.

I also have a standard Hornby turntable available.

19" cassettes would do nicely. The space would hold two or three quite comfortably.

It might be possible to get the lower left siding/bay up to 19" if it curved fairly strongly taking the platform to a thin crescent
That loses room for a station building but would allow room for a full-length(!?) passenger train to sit ready to depart leaving the arrival platform with run round loop free
Perhaps the terminus isn't really, but where a through line has to do this reverse because of the arrangement of river valleys... there were a few real cases.

This would have to be proven or not on the board. If tried for then the run of three Y points should be trimmed (a bit over an inch to be had in total) and as far to the right as possible.
A goods ready to depart can sit on the run-round loop, of course.

Chris

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:22 pm

On the Peco Y Points, I knew I had trimmed a couple for a project that never actually happened.

When working with very limited space, a few millimetres can count.

On the shortened versions, trimming with care, nothing vital has been removed. The V end only takes half its normal length of fishplate,
Using shortened fishplates another 2 or 3 mm could be saved between thw toes of the Y points.

It looks as though a double slip instead of the toe-to-toe Y's might save space, but the Peco pattern one does not, as its curved radius is too great, and that costs more space in curved track that is saved in actual length.
Hmm. A Fleischmann Profi double slip (6164, 6165) does, though... Quite a bit!

Chris

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:34 pm

Meanwhile, progress and adjustment.

The entrance to the turntable, due to limited space had a reverse curve on two of the tracks.
I thought I had made it gentle enough, and for short wheelbase trucks I was right. For longer wheel bases I was just, and hence totally, wrong.
No disaster. Two teeth out of six had to be moved and a short straight section added to the two affected alignments.
Angled flight deck, anyone?

Meanwhile the point rodding is all laid, to disappear under surface tratments or ballast, and it currently looks as though I will be marrying these to the Ratio point levers

Building a second one of these would be appreciably faster and easier, but likely less fun, as the experimentation and challenge of problem solving is part of it, at least for me.

Chris

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:22 pm

Ratio point levers it is. Nice positive lock and a good throw.
They will build up to a nice little bank, of six in my case.

Here the wire is attached to the point lever: a short loose fitting tube is on the push-pull rod, and the two stops are adjusted to give the right "slop" so that the rod movement is the right amount less than the point lever movement.
On a very long run where accumulated slack might mean the wire needed more movement than the lever an unequal-arm crank could scale up the movement to the appropriate degree.
The only thing making this a bit tricky is the small space I have to work.
I suppose one could directly connect the point, and the lever, and have an adjustment point somewhere with convenient access around halfway where they met. That would make any future re-adjustment easier.
Another tip for the Mk2.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:49 pm

Six levers working seven points (includes a crossover).
These Ratio point levers have been nice to work with, raising no major panics.
And they build up neatly into a rack.

Countersinking then into 1/2" holes didn't suit my baseboard, and to repeat I'm not sure about the "string and return spring" operation for points, as given. I suspect it would put torsion on the tie bar.

Next job: tidy up, and hide all the point wire bits and pieces under a new ground surface.

Chris

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”