Derby Friargate LNER Garage Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Coopslner

Re: Derby Friargate LNER garage layout

Postby Coopslner » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:26 pm

Thanks for all the previous kind comments, to answer about the cost well I don't want to add it up to be honest but I know that this little chemist shop building has had a small fortune spent to produce it.

Paul the vehicle was a model by ABS models, a fairly old only by the box and instructions but very simlar to what you would expect from the likes of langley etc.

I have completed the chemist shop now with the roof tiles painted and the lead lining added where needed. I would like to have a go at reprinting the shop sign board in a slightly more olive green but that's a computer job and I have had other things to get on with which I will show and hopefully you will like the results. :)

It's been too cold in the garage to do what I wanted to... The damned thing is still not wired and I have got that as a New Years resolution lol.
:lol:
So I have focused on getting a few kits done in between get togethers this christmas.

I have brought many vehicles to kit build which I will photo at a later stage but to begin with is a mill and boiler chimney stack.
Off Agard steer just behind the arches was a mill/ factory which is now demolished. This is not a replica but more a representation to fit in with the lay out how things were.
image.jpg
Mill completed minus the gutter pipes

The building is actually HO gauge and is a real asset to the industrial scene. I had to kit bash some iron steps together to get them to fit the model on both floors but I think it looks ok although not structurally sound. :?

I have access to the top floor to place a scene in at a later date if I wish to. Possibly a load of creates etc with a few porters.
The chimney stack I was most pleased with as it is a fair hight rather than the ones that bachmann produce which are quite small.
image.jpg
Placed in general position on layout.

On the stack over 100 individual metal steps (plastic) were glued in place which adds that extra bit if detail. I also made a bore through the stack with a view to have the option of adding a smoke generator.

To go with the mill I made the wills bicycle rack for the workers :wink:

The other major work was the 90% completion of the Uttoxeter Road bridge which is now fully painted minus the soot marks on the parapet walls from passing locos. The only things left to do are to fix the wooden steps down to the yard, and fit the lamps with wires hidden under the pavement.
image.jpg
Road bridge painted

image.jpg
Bridge in position over running lines

Finally for this update, two of the wills timber yard models were finished off with a paint and weathered to add to the frontage of the board where the Derby East signal box will be placed.
image.jpg
Timber yard shelters

I have been furiously trying to grind through each model to make some progress but as you all know every thing takes an age to complete and 60% of the time every time it goes wrong along the way.

Happy new year to all and happy modeling!

Thanks for looking

Coops.
Derby Friargate GN

manna

Re: Derby Friargate LNER Garage Layout

Postby manna » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:56 pm

G'Day Gents

My, you have been busy, buildings and bridges appearing everywhere, I like the factory at the rear, being HO, it gives the appearance of being further away by being a tad smaller. How did you fit Christmas in ????

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:47 pm

Blimey Coops, you have been busy, it may have taken time, but
it was sure worth it, no point rushing things, taking your time has
certainly paid off. The timber yard and bridge look excellent, but
my favourite is the mill and chimney, wow, what can I say, fabulous job
done and right up my street, it's all coming together really well.

Looking forward to your next instalment with baited breath!

Jim.

All the best for 2018.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:14 pm

3 major projects in just a month is pretty impressive and they all look fantastic! Wish my bench was as productive! We need to know what the factory and bridge are made of and how you bashed them?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:09 am

More stunning work there Coops. Every one of those builds is magnificent in its own right, surely the bridge isn't a kit? Your posts have been few and far between but what a horde of work you have produced.

Paul

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:17 pm

Thank you all once more,

Manna, haha, how did I fit Xmas in? A lot of late nights and taking advantage of the nippers nap time and as I said 'furiously' modeling lol.

Jim, thank you for your words. The mill is one of my favourate models and it was a good kit to build. I can't rush anything when modeling as if I purposely cut corners it really eats at me and I end up going back to do it right. However I can only do things within my current skill set so compromise is something I have come to accept goes hand in hand.

Paul and timbersurf thank you very much, I like to post updates when I have got something to show some progress with so was happy to share what I've got upto over this holiday. With regards to the mill and the bridge, the mill is a German kit from Auhagen. These kits are modular and you can create any shape and size of building you want but it is quite expensive.

The bridge when i was thinking about making it i thought it would take ages to scratch build. So I bashed 4 of the old skaledale rail over road bridges together.

This ended up being quite a tedious and long process to complete as it involved using a small carbon disc to firstly cut each bridge in half in order to widen the bridge. Then I had to cut one side away from each piece to allow it to fit to the other.

An age later.. A lot of dust.. And a few choice words, I was able to fill in the gaps and use ply wood to create the additional pillars. I then used plastikard sheet cut to size to face it in the same brick bond as the resin cast.

With the addition of the sand stone with thin card to the pillars it was ready to paint and that's it so far.

I am currently working though another kit which is going to be modified slightly to suit. But in short it is a high street scene with a corner shop, so watch this space for a picture or two in the near future.

Cheers

Coops
Derby Friargate GN

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:21 pm

Uttoxeter Road Bridge - yet another childhood memory faithfully represented. I didn't go over it many times but I do recall it being a rather long bridge (in kid's thoughts that is) and was always afraid that I might miss something going under it whilst I could not see over the top!

Can you run trains full-circle yet?

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Excellent. That's all I need to say.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Thank you Expat,

I funnily enought do the same my self even today with regards to bridges :lol: it's great to hear little stories that relate to something you model.

I have connected the up fast line with a temporary piece of track so I can at least watch something move for a change, reading your message prompted me to the fact I brought a C1 last year and I hadn't even got it out the box so I gave it a bit of a run in, it is a great looking loco.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I would be tempted to buy the GNR stirling single to be released if it were not for the fact that there is no readily available period stock for it to haul.

Robbo thank you for your comments, I often walk into my garage and think ... Am I just wasting my time? But it's nice to hear that people think it's got some worth.

Cheers

Coops
Derby Friargate GN

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:21 pm

Coopslner wrote:I often walk into my garage and think ... Am I just wasting my time?

You must be kidding Coops, you turn out some brilliant work, keep it coming, I for
one am glued to your posts and have been since that LNER rail over bridge you scratch built
appeared on your posts. Lovely loco by the way (is it for weathering)?

Jim.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Here here Jim, I wholeheartedly agree :P
I think we all get a feeling of "why do I bother" sometimes, I know I do, but that's why we post on here, it usually gets a bit of gratitude, that supports your ego and makes it worthwhile. The same reason peeps join a local club, support and knowledge exchange. Plus great modellors like you inspire others to "have a go" :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

manna

Postby manna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:20 pm

G'Day Gents

Wasting your time..........I fear not, your turning out some pretty good buildings, god help us if you turn to loco's and rolling stock :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 pm

It is always a problem with big projects. you sometime hit that wall where although you are making progress, the end just seems further away than ever. Keep going! Try to think of it as a lot of little projects rather than one big project, you obviously had really good skills, and you will get there in the end - and it will be something special!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Mon May 21, 2018 12:56 am

It's been a long time since my last post so a small update. Taking luckymucklebackit's. Advice I have completed a few small projects to share just some of them. I have completed the engineers train, consisting of an ex NER brake van (in place until I can find the GNR ballast brake van), two GN ballast rail wagons and two conflats. The bolster wagons took a while to complete ensuring I had the correct decals, as you only get one set of the 'To Carry xyz of rails' etc per sheet. They still need a little weather and some 3 links adding but quite pleased with them. I also managed to get hold of some white metal rail chairs, although 4mm they look slightly over sized but I like the result. Paired with some laser cut sleepers with the chair indents and screw holes as details they completed the load for the flats. A few work men tools will complete them.

I have finished a number if while metal and kit built vehicles my favourite recently being these two. A Denis 1914 fire engine and a post office telephones truck. The fire engine was a crude plastic kit. But I have added some extra white metàl features which really bring it on which include a crew of four firemen. The spoked whiles were exchanged for more a type of the 1930s the thought being that it was kept in service as a reserve appliance prior to the out break of war.

Hopefully I will have something more substantial soon!

Cheers

Coops
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Derby Friargate GN

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Mon May 21, 2018 12:57 am