Derby Friargate LNER Garage Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Allegheny1600

Re: Derby Friargate LNER/ BR garage layout

Postby Allegheny1600 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi, Coops,
I LOVE your shop, it really looks the part.
Funnily enough, I remember a shop similar to that on Friargate in fact, I was surprised it wasn't that shop. There certainly were some very elegant shops in that neighbourhood. An Aunt of mine used to have an antique shop along there but I think that was closer to town centre. Yes, I still think of Derby as a "town" - it used to have the distinction of being one of few (if any other) towns with a cathedral, now it's just another small city, trying to punch above its weight!
Cheers,
John.

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Thank you all very much for your comments, they are all well received :D . If I get what is coming through the post the interior will be great.

To answer comments and questions ;

Timbersurf, yes I have had a few pieces of these wills sheets, however some have become brittle which may have been from being left in the garage over numerous winters. Yes the windows I used on the build for the chemist are also wills products. You can also get drain pipes, guttering and chimney pots. And yes I have got an intent for lighting, I may also put an exterior light on a bracket for the rear.

Jim, thank you, I agree the back scene does give it a good frame for pictures.
I have seen that you can buy some crushed brick off the bay to simulate rubble so I have an idea for that.
I also look forward to the yard scene. I really want to get the track put to bed this year, I think though however it will be one of the last areas to be completed.

Paul, thank you for the positive comments, I agree that the wills sheets are an arse to cut. However the finish you get if you take your time, I think is good. I had to start again a few times due to a slip of the knife. And yes my fingers were giving a bit of jip after!
I hope to upload some more videos when I get chance.

Flyingscotsman, yes I have used the slaters sheets before which are great to cut. I used them on the large building next to the bridge. The only issue is backing them on to something which is rigid enough to not warp. I plan to use the slaters sheets to 'clad' the road bridge I keep banging on that I am going to sort out.

Manna, thank you, along with the turnouts, I fear I have done a royal job on the point motors I have installed already. I used some flux to help attach the wires and I think it has corroded the contact surface of the polarity switch making it unreliable, so that's another cost I think I have to prep for.

Bufferstop, yes I was thinking about the back scenes, I know I would like something for under the bridge. But I do want to add low relief buildings along the lines of what Jim has done for his Millsend layout in places.

E2E, Pete thank you also.
If there was a model that I could get to go with it it would be the Thomas and Friends Waterton Butchers which has a striking resemblance to one of the buildings at the Beamish museums victorian street. However it's seems a rare item now.

John, thanks for sharing that. I am looking forward to finishing this model as it's not something I have seen any one else do. I would like to put the tulip bottle / glass in the window showing one of the humours or the chemists ability to produce a rich colour.

I am busy with work for the next couple of months but will do what I can in between.

Thank you all for looking

Coops
Derby Friargate GN

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi all, just a small update. I spent an hour or two on the computer and tried to replicate the W.C. White shop front sign using good old paint and Microsoft word.
image.jpg
The actual shop front
image.jpg (93.11 KiB) Viewed 842 times

image.jpg
My 'Paint' sign

image.jpg

I am quite chuffed with the result.

Hope to get more done soon,

Thanks for looking

Coops
Derby Friargate GN

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:00 am

You should be chuffed Coops, it looks absolutely stunning.

Don't often say this but if you put that in the right setting,
you would think it was real ...... brilliant job.

JIm.

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Great effect with the shop window.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:41 pm

A pure work of art Coops. Any thoughts on how the shop interior will be presented?

Paul

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Cheers Jim and m.levin much appreciated.

Paul, I have ordered two of these kits from America. In oo scale there is quite a gap in the market for full on interiors, however HO scale have quite a bit going especially German or American models.
image.jpg
Shop interior.

When I saw this laser cut kit I was beaming as it would just be perfect. I am going to as much as I can replicate the interior of the prototype. On one side of the shop would be the chemist side with the glass cabinets detailed with bottles. And on the left would be the grocers and the till.

I have inserted a central ceiling light in preparation. It will need a resistor soldering.

In the front window I want to replicate chemist products as best I can with a few stand alone bottles painted blue, green and brown. I have found that Preiser do a barrel and beer bottles set of which the bottles are individual in part. So they will form the main bulk of the display.

I also want to feature the old classic tulip glass bottle. Of this I am thinking of using a bead ideally transparent and then paint it, with the neck made by stretching some glue and letting it go hard. ... The idea works in my head :lol:

I am just hoping I havnt been ripped off from America :oops: as I have been waiting a few weeks for the delivery. Time will tell.

Cheers

Coops
Derby Friargate GN

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:34 pm

Couldn't you just use acetate and paint the liquid level on, don't think it being flat would make that much difference, if you set it back a little in the window.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:58 pm

Coops, keep your eyes peeled on ebay and car boots for "mini perfume sample bottles", they can be tiny and very similar to chemist bottles!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi all only a small update.

Good news .. My order from America came for the chemist interior, but not before I had to pay a customs fee of £11.70 which included a handling fee from Royal Mail of £8. Absolutely cheesed off with that! However when I get the opportunity the kits will make an excellent addition.

In the mean time I have glazed the shop windows and finished the window displays. I took delivery of some HO gauge bottles which are individual and transparent coloured green and brown. With some cut outs of a laser kit, (which were supose to be rubbish pieces) I was able to place and paint to become various products for both the chemist and the grocers side.

I am pleased with the results however concious that it may look too bright .. But these are new on the shelf!

I look forward to the light being wired up so it shines though the bottles.

More progress soon, thanks for looking.

Coops
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Derby Friargate GN

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:49 am

Looks really good. The products in the window plus the glazing has brought it
even more to life, fabulous job Coops.

Think I've got a headache coming on, they don't sell Asprin do they :wink:

Jim.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:19 am

Great detail coops, those bottles are fantastic, can't wait to see it 'lit'
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:25 am

Exceptional work there - love it, such a range of sub-miniature modelling
just adds to the realism of that building.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:09 am

You really know how to capture a scene Coops, the shop display is quite magnificent. In addition to the internal scenes, those photos really do highlight the intricate detail you get when using Wills brick sheets that plasticard just doesn't capture. The added effort to work with Wills is fully justified.

Paul

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:45 am

Thank you Geoff and timbersurf, much appreciated. I hope to start the construction of the interior today at some point. I do take a moment sometimes and think am I going over the top? But I do enjoy these little scenes, although it is distracting me from the main layout.

Jim - :lol: , thank you, I was needing a pain killer or two after straining my eyes!

Paul, cheers for the positive comments. I also do like the wills sheets for the detail that you also describe, and I also like the sturdiness of the structure which is paid for with pain and profanities :evil: . For these terraced type houses it is ideal and as I was saying on your thread warping is an issue I've had with card.

On a side note I have took possession of the Hornby 'Waterton Butchers' now out of production, which has a strikingly simlar appearance to an example at the beamish museum.
image.jpg
Beamish Confectionary shop

I would like to see if I can replicate the scene here imagining that the building on the left will be the chemist.
image.jpg

I am contemplating an interior for the 'Watertons' building, a re-paint and rebranding it a pub maybe ?
image.jpg

Cheers, coops.
Derby Friargate GN

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”