Derby Friargate LNER Garage Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TimberSurf

Re: Derby Friargate LNER Garage Layout

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:12 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.................! :o
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:43 pm

Okay, so the challenge of building Derby Friargate was a step too far. I am sure Coops has learned a tremendous amount. As far as I am concerned there is no point battling away and knowing things are not working.

What I admire about Coops is he wants a much simpler layout where it will be easier to operate and enjoy. To do that means ditching the 'grand plan'.

The funny thing about it is that whenever anyone rebuilds a layout, the new one is much better and more fun to operate.

I am sure the new layout will be built at a much quicker pace. We shall see more postings.

Looking forward to seeing the new layout.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:12 pm

glencairn wrote:As far as I am concerned there is no point battling away and knowing things are not working.
Glencairn

*cough* *cough* the !!! *cough* * cough* :lol:

Good luck on your new venture Coops. I'm sure im not the only one looking forward to the new layout.
Wishing you clean tracks and green signals all the way. :D
Thanks
End2end

!!! We'll have none of that language around here, thanks
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

manna

Postby manna » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:46 am

G'day Gents

%&%$#@*, at least I can look forward to another GN/LNER layout :D

Can you put up a pic of the J6, just the chassis, might be able to see the problem !! :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:37 am

Ex-Pat wrote:Really sad news - first Jim's Gateside & Northbridge, and now Friargate - is it catching? - where can I get counselling?!

Look forward however to the new layout.

Agree with Ex Pat - seems like many of us are moving away from the "magnum opus" to something more manageable, best of luck with your new project. Your modelling skills are excellent so this new layout will be something special I have no doubt.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:47 am

Yes I decided to build my current layout as a series of interlinked dioramas, working on each a stage at a time. It avoids those huge mountains, track laying, wiring, ballasting, etc. You get to do a bit of each and see some results much sooner.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:35 pm

Thank you for all the comments E2E, Bufferstop, Jim, mana, timbersurf and Expat, I think Glencairn hit the nail. The grand plan was just that, however it would never be an exhibition standard layout which I think is the hope and dream of many. I hope what I have in mind will be just as pleasing to the eye.

I will definitely update as I go, and will take on board small goals and objectives this time as I move forward.

The problem with the J6 is it was shorting out with the way it had been wired. All that has been stripped out jest leaving the motor attached. Ideally I would like to get it replaced so I know it’s good to go, however it seems that I need to take the wheels off and separate the chassis to get the motor off the axel. No small job when I am not confident of it going back together :lol:
I managed to get hold of a GNR tender to either go with this or a bachmann k3 or as I guide if I can work out a viable way of spaying the two tone and line it.

The motor is attached by 2 small screws on the underside of the motor which is impossible to get off with out the worlds longest thinnest screwdriver or take the chassis apart.

The picture shows a paper mock up of the station building I would like.

Cheers

Coops
Attachments
B703D740-3E01-497B-A5D4-0055E54DA6C0.jpeg
6E1E4CD3-0446-4BBF-A6CA-60CD73530B95.jpeg
6A43E826-12B2-4CA3-A429-2C9378B4533C.jpeg
99EE278E-3159-4BF0-9637-B11DD682CF9F.jpeg
4775CBA9-635A-4221-BDBB-2444554FABF6.jpeg
Derby Friargate GN

manna

Postby manna » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:29 pm

G'Day Coops

Well you have 'Romford' wheels, that's a help, with a bit of luck, you should have a small screw, holding the gear wheel onto the axle, if that can be loosened and the rear wheels are taken off, you should be able to remove the axle, which again should allow you to remove the motor and gearbox.

But before you do that, you say that it's shorting out, have you checked that the brake gear is not touching the wheels ( always a problem) Another is to look between the wheels and the chassis, sometimes, tiny bits of metal (wirewool etc) can become stuck in that area (grease/oil) if you do see a problem, a piece if card slide between the wheel and the chassis, may remove it, tweezers or a bit of 'Blue tack' on a cocktail stick can be useful. hope this helps.

Oh, another hint, have you tried to run the chassis, without the body on !!

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:55 pm

Another set of superb work broken down.
It's those Grand Designs. I suppose nearly all of us fancy that big layout,
but they're a white elephant for all but the fastest and richest workers. If
you're well into your 70's like me there's no point in taking on something
that involves 10 years, or more of work !!

If you want prototypical you can't be happy with much compression so the
image is destroyed. Small and fun to drive has to be the answer for most
of us

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”