Derby Friargate LNER Garage Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Coopslner

Derby Friargate LNER Garage Layout

Postby Coopslner » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:15 am

Hello everyone, I am new to forums so bare with me! I have what my wife calls an 'obsession' 8) with the Friargate line focused on the ex Derby station it's self, so I decided after nearly 10years since building my last layout, to start a garage layout of the Ex GN extension. I have both Mark Higginson's and Susan Bourne's published books and after trawling them several times as well as internet searches I can't find the information I require. This is where I would like to request some help or a point into the right direction to answer the following.

I am trying to construct it focusing on the bridge and station (due to space restriction) and would like it set circa 1950. I have attached my 1:76 build of Friargate bridge painted in LMR, however I am looking to repaint it if required on clarification of the correct livery of the whole station during my preferred time period stated
I have been led to believe that the LNER had a brown and cream livery up to 1937, which was then replaced by green and cream.

When the region was rationalised from the BR Eastern, the LMR re painted it into Midland crimson and cream to which I have seen pictures of and which took place between I believe in 1956/7. I will settle with LMR livery if I can not come by any facts of how the Timber structures on the main platform were painted prior.

This may well end up being a slow progress project but it's one which like every one else I will enjoy in my spare time.
If any one has any comments questions or answers to my main query at this stage it will be greatly received. :P
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (63.84 KiB) Viewed 3196 times
Last edited by Coopslner on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derby Friargate GN

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Re: Derby Friargate LNER/ BR garage layout

Postby Eastern » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:35 am

Hi there - sounds like a interesting quest.- No doubt, you have already found the nice picture taken by Ron Fisher in April 1964 here . I did find an interesting article from the Derby Telegraph - sorry can't be too much help - I based my layout on Chalford and found some great resources on YouTube and other old films from the time.
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:54 am

Welcome to the Forum - lovely model of the bridge I used to pass under twice a day for many a year.

I used to go down to Friargate from school at lunchtime in the mid fifties, and whilst I can still remember the smell and sounds and the anticipatory excitement as I climbed the steps to the platform, unfortunately I don't recall the paint scheme.

Best of luck with your project - I shall be following with particular interest.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:33 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Anything Midland especially in Derbyshire and I'm interested (I was born and raised in NE Derbyshire).
About 15 years ago I used to teach at a school in Kirk Hallam near Ilkeston and my drive to and from work took me past the Bennerley Viaduct. An impressive piece of railway engineering which is a listed structure I believe. Never knew Derby Friargate but have read a lot about it and seen many pictures of it in Derbyshire railway books. I believe if you go on google earth you can still see the remains of the platforms.
Will be watching your progress with interest.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

PETERSDALE (Peak District and Coalfield inspired Branch Line)
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48988

The bridge is very impressive.

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:58 pm

Eastern wrote:Hi there - sounds like a interesting quest.- No doubt, you have already found the nice picture taken by Ron Fisher in April 1964 here . I did find an interesting article from the Derby Telegraph - sorry can't be too much help - I based my layout on Chalford and found some great resources on YouTube and other old films from the time.

Hi, thanks for posting them links, and yes I have come across Ron Fishers picture before, which seems to be the only period colour photo of the bridge I can find from online sources anyway. But what a fantastic picture it is!
The Colin Wright painting article was most interesting. I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years ago at the Derby Midland Railex. His painting has been instrumental in me being able to construct the bridge.
I am by no means a pro when it comes to scratch building and I am still developing through trial and error, but at the time, I used his painting as a template and scaled it with my PC. To compensate the perspective I took half and doubled it over to form the arch in one perspective. I then built it up in 3D using card, match sticks and breakfast boxes of all things but I am happy with the finished product. There are things I would have done differently if starting over and discrepancies in the design but that's where my modellers licence comes into force 8)

Expat - That is great that you can recall going up the steps of the subway to the main platform. I hope to be able to replicate that ambiance through my model build. I am envious that the opportunity to experience this for myself was not available to me, being only a micro cell at the time. By the time I was born the line was reduced to a test track from Mickleover station. So experiences and memories like that are very valuable. :)
Attachments
image.jpg
You can see in this picture that the bridge was in fact two bridges. However each bridge has a central support arch which I had to retro fit.
image.jpg (114.81 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
image.jpg
Here you can see the bridge nearly completed. But on completion I realised the running level was too high so this required some surgical attention with the jig saw to lower it >:(
image.jpg (84.27 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
image.jpg
Finally this picture shows one of the four side faces having been given it's first coat of cream.
image.jpg (97.72 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
Derby Friargate GN

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:15 pm

RailwayRobbo - Yes the viaduct is magnificent. I have trawled google earth for longer that I wish to admit :? following the course of the line, of particular interest is the fact that is it not up to date including the view from the end of Agard street in google street view which still shows the building if the old Derby clutch centre I believe before they were demolished for road improvements along with the new monstrosity of a building placed opposite. You can still see the remains of the horse drawn tram terminus by the rails in the cobbles next to the only arch of the viaduct remaining acting as a buttress to the bridge.
Derby Friargate GN

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:23 pm

Welcome to the forum;

I can't help with any of your questions unfortunately, but what I can say is 'that bridge is a cracker'.

Looking forward to more updates as the layout develops.

Jim.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:13 pm

A very nice piece of modelling.
I don't know the area so can't help.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:04 pm

I have been making progress with a building that is situation next to the bridge. I will start at the beginning of how I put pen to paper.
In my usual way I trawl the internet for every picture possible showing as many angles as possible but the grail is a front on elevation of the subject. Because of perspective and how when stood in front of a building directly, when looking up the lines will run out. So I take a trace of the rough out line of the design to ensure some sort of proportionality.

Once I've got a rough trace I will draw it into the outer skin be that plastikard or like the Wills brick sheets. From here the windows are cut out and the piece is backed onto thick card. Through my experiences this is not so great to do as fluctuating temperatures will warp the card and plastic throwing the walls out wildly. Therefore I had to reinforce it with ply wood. I future I may do this as standard.

Once all four sides are constructed I panted the brick finish on with a mix of acrylic and enamel. The first coat was a dark cream for in between the bricks followed by enamel brick shades applied with an old dish washing sponge which allows you to create nice variations in the colours.

I worked on the door surround next and a gain made a sketch which I used to match up various plastic lengths from the model shop. Then it was a case of citing them to shape and painting it before sticking to the front.

Then the mammoth task of building the windows from micro strip glued to clear plastic sheet. . A really tedious job :x

Now all the windows were in I partitioned the inside and glued it together with some trusty UHU glue to make a sturdy structure.

I need to finish the roof, chimneys and guttering. I think I will place a light inside with possibly a small interior scene. I have seen these downloadable interiors which you can make up with card which would look great.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (165.85 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
image.jpg
Creating the front door surround.
image.jpg (136.18 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
image.jpg
Painted brick work
image.jpg (100.98 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
image.jpg
3D form brick sheets backed onto card.
image.jpg (115.01 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
image.jpg
Front elevation showing how the perspective is slightly affected.
image.jpg (147.06 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
Derby Friargate GN

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:06 pm

This is it's progress so far just needing a roof and some finishing details !
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (102.49 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
Derby Friargate GN

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:54 pm

So after a long period of thought I finally decided to repaint the bridge into an LNER livery. I did this because apparently the bridge was painted any where between 1952- 1955 into the London Midland region colours of crimson and cream. I have seen pictures of the station (be that in black and white), in1951 still in its old livery. Therefore there is a window whilst under British Railways that the station and bridge carried it's old livery for a number of years. This gives me the opportunity to model both eras and run stock in both BR and LNER livery, and I have a soft spot for the Hornby RTR teaks.

This is the bridge after it's repaint, I have made a best guess at the shade so I am not really sure if it's correct. I am hoping it will tone down and look better once I have weathered it into a sorry state. I am not 100% happy with the lettering but that's the best that my ability will provide.

Opinions are welcome and or and points which could improve it would be great :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (72.59 KiB) Viewed 2999 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (81.24 KiB) Viewed 2999 times
Derby Friargate GN

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:35 am

Sumptous modelling! :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:35 pm

Simply magnificent Coopslner. The large house is terrific but the piece de resistance is that low slung railway bridge. You have captured the essence of the real thing perfectly. I looked but j can't find anything to fault your work. I look forward to more updates.

Paul

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks for your comments :) Getting a bit of time to put in a few more hours after looking at End2end's interiors I decided to give it a bash with the shop attached to the bridge. I used the most basic materials again being match sticks, card and balsa wood and I am happy with the results. I found some adverts in the model box which go well. Unfortunately the light inside is an iPhone torch as iam not at a wiring stage yet and I dread facing it lol.

I was also able to knock up some more garages for the arches of the viaduct. Using mounting card I cut the curve to create the insert, then with a biro pen I score into it to produce the feature of the lock up. I then scored the wood panels to create the grain and an aged look. Then once painted over all the recesses show dark giving the detail.

I finally plucked up courage to weather the bridge. Once I started it was a case of running with it. There were a few times I thought I had royally messed up, however once the airbrush came out it came together along with mix of dry brush and washes. I had to stop my self as I think it would have ended up black if I got carried away. But I am very pleased with the result and glad I went with the change of livery.

Next on the to-do list is to finish the paving and the road, stick the bridge to the base board and finish scratch buildings for the street. There is just not enough hours in the day. ! :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (79.88 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
image.jpg
You can see how I can used the biro to score the detail.
image.jpg (105.68 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
image.jpg
One set of the arches for the viaduct, however I got carried away when making it and forgot about how I would get around the corner of the garage. So I need to take it apart and introduce a curve !
image.jpg (73.77 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
image.jpg
All nicely weathered
image.jpg (67.4 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (97.76 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
Derby Friargate GN

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:52 pm

Showing the interior from the outside looking in.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (77.26 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
Derby Friargate GN

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”