N Gauge oval in the countryside

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TimberSurf

Re: N Gauge oval in the countryside

Post by TimberSurf »

I model OO, not looking forward to stringing fences in my scale, let alone N!
Really nice looking layout. That slope as a backdrop really works well and connects the upper level. Well worth sharing with us. You should be proud.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
smeghead28

Post by smeghead28 »

Great layout :)
First proper layout I ever built was N gauge and strangely this reminds me very much of that,something about it feels very familiar to me.
heda

Post by heda »

At the other end of the layout to the farm there is a bus stop, I'm going to add a telephone box and couple of benches on the paved area by the goods yard entrance. Got the signal box flued down and ballasted, There will be a church at the top left corner and the two squares in the middle of the board are for shops and houses. I intend to make these upon a separate board and stick them into place as a complete module.

Thanks for the kind comments Timbersurf, I am pleased with how it is turning out, although it represents about ten years worth of work so far ! I never would achieved this much without help and advice from the forum so I hope that by sharing it I can give others some inspiration. As well as receiving constructive criticisms

Dave

Last edited by heda on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

10 years! Ouch that hurts! (damn hobby is so slow). Sneaky to glean inspiration/advice from forums and not share (so late) till its all but done. :P
Glad to see some none 'grey' ballast for a change! I had red on my layout (before I ripped it up), nice rusty rails, but is it the pic, looks like top is not shiny? Great pics, but were are the trains? lol (or don't you run them, its just a very large (nice) diorama?) :D
heda

Post by heda »

It has taken so long because it was intended as a retirement project. I started the build about five years before retiring intending to get the track laid and ballasted ready for my leisure time. Well I've been retired five years now and rarely find time to work on the layout. That's the main reason I didn't post pictures most of the time there was nothing to show.

The rail tops are shiny, although probably a little dull, but it's the lack of decent light in the man cave that makes them look duller.

I have really only run trains to check everything is OK as with little landscaping they just didn't look right but when I stepped back and looked at the layout today I thought it's ready to start running trains properly so a lot more future pictures will have trains on.

Dave
ceejaydee

Post by ceejaydee »

I've enjoyed looking through your layout thread and like the balance of railway and countryside that you have achieved.
The single inside line that comes around the back of the goods shed at the left hand side of the layout is an attractive feature.

In some ways it reminds me of my old N gauge layout (albeit yours is larger) from a few years back which I didn't finish but sold on; I too found that I enjoyed the scenic work way more than I expected and also had fun with Kestrel building kits. (Having had a quick look it was almost nine years ago! and some pics can be found on page 24 in this section of the forum)

Whilst you say that it has taken almost ten years to get this far, I both admire your tenacity to stick with a project for such a length of time and estimate that for money spent vs enjoyment given the layout represents serious value for money during the build so far.

Been a pleasure seeing your work and it has certainly given me some ideas to think about.
Last edited by ceejaydee on Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Christopher D.
Brooker

Post by Brooker »

Those photos are great, until the last few, you wouldn't know there is a bit gap in the middle:)
I really like the combination of the river and the farm yard and fencing...
heda

Post by heda »

Thank you for the kind comments. I looked at your layout thread Christopher, a lot of, yes very similar in a lot of ways, Have you given up railway modelling now ?

Although it's been ten years in the making it has been a lot of time standing in the corner, the past few weeks with the Winter weather it has come out again and rather than me sitting indoors wondering what to do I've found there isn't enough daylight hours to achieve everything I want. A wasted day today though, managed to blow led's in light signals but figured out what I did wrong in the wiring so I'll get it right when the next batch arrives.

I couldn't put a figure on what I've spent over the years but I'm sure it isn't that much a month and yes I have had and still get a lot of pleasure working on it so money well spent, and now it looks ready to run trains on, so a lot more fun to be had, I never enjoyed watching them run round a bare board.

The 'big gap in the middle' will one day be houses and shops, I've built the kits but they need painting and a lot of detailing as well as the gardens, almost another project in itself. I've made two card bases with footpaths so once the building are finished I'll stick them to the bases and then on the layout in one piece.

The next couple of weeks I intend to give the modelling a rest and run trains so all being well I'll post some pictures that actually have trains in them.

Dave
ceejaydee

Post by ceejaydee »

I remember how many a modelling session turned into a running session once some scenery was in place....
Kind of what it is all about really :-)
heda wrote:.......Have you given up railway modelling now ?.......
Dave
Not intentionally, but it does feel like it sometimes.

I am currently rationalising my railway equipment... and I've accumulated lots over the years... to leave my though process clearer allowing me to focus on what I now want rather than what I once wanted or thought I should want.

I found your layout thought-provoking as it reminded me of all the reasons why I enjoyed working in N and although my British outline N stock is long gone I have been considering building another similar layout for the last year or so.

A long term project could suit me now as I recognise my interests peaks and wanes and with a solid plan in place I could make it work.

Apologies for the brief interjection and I look forward to seeing more of your project.
Regards
Christopher D.
heda

Post by heda »

Hi Christopher

I'm pleased (and flattered) that my layout has inspired you. If I can be of any help at all with a future project don't hesitate to ask, I've got loads of pictures going back to the basic track laying, never posted on here as to me they never looked interesting enough to share. More time was spent thinking and planning than actually constructing.
I do intend to post more pictures, we've got a friend staying for a couple of weeks from the weekend so my man cave will be a guest room but I'll be able to put the layout in the lounge and play trains, I should be able to take some better pictures then.

Dave
heda

Post by heda »

A couple of pictures with trains, as I haven't ran trains for a while I used my 'old faithfulls' which all performed well, Now the landscaping is progressing I intend to sort my trains out and start playing.

Last edited by heda on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

All in 72"x32" proves you don't need a huge loft if you work
in 'N'
I always like a good spread of wagons !!

Geoff T.
heda

Post by heda »

Tried my trains today to see what runs and what doesn't. Out of my total of eight, three need looking at, problems varying between running badly and not running at all. At least I have five that I can use. Part of the problem is probably caused by the fact they've not been used for a few years.

While I was playing, I mean testing I dug out a couple of coaches and a guards van that I fitted lights in to a while ago, they all worked, I'm thinking they might also be useful for finding dead spots on the track

Last edited by heda on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Impressive, never even thought about "lighted" N Gauge! [fiddly!]
ceejaydee

Post by ceejaydee »

From those pics, it looks like a lot of fun :D
Regards
Christopher D.