N Gauge oval in the countryside

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
heda

N Gauge oval in the countryside

Postby heda » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:49 pm

I started the layout around four years ago as a retirement project, I don't work in it all the time so it's likely to take me a good few more years before (if ever) it's completed. the size, in old money is 72" x 32", when I'm not working on n or playing it is stored upright against a wall in our spare room. This is where I am with it now.

An aerial view of the whole board

The goods shed

The footpath over the stream at the back

A view along the track at the back

Dave
Last edited by heda on Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

whynot

Re: N Gauge oval in the countryside

Postby whynot » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Nice and open feeling - it all blends very well.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:08 pm

Heda

What a nice project..

Just be careful you may start to get really going with the support you will get on here

:)

Best of luck and keep us informed

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:49 pm

Welcome! Very nice track plan I have to say.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:52 am

Looks great 8) - what are planning for the scenic section in the middle of the board?

heda

Postby heda » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:46 am

Thanks all for the positive comments, there will be a church and ticket office with steps down to the platform at the back. A car repair workshop, in the centre some houses and shops and of course a pub possibly with a riverside beer garden. The large field with the fallen tree will have cows and the area to the right will be a small farmyard.
I've attached a couple of older pictures, most of the buildings are Kestrel, I'll start putting the buildings on once the landscaping is finished. My next job is to complete the lineside fencing at the back then add some grass and shrubs.

Dave

Church and ticket office

Aerial view, there will be another terrace of houses at the back

View from the main station footbridge

Last edited by heda on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:09 am

heda wrote: The large field with the fallen tree

Now that's a novelty (excluding of course those that weren't meant to have fallen over in the first place!).

heda

Postby heda » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:39 pm

Interesting thought, the tree could have been felled as it was a danger to the railway, I might look for a chain saw gang and a Land Rover

Last edited by heda on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

heda

Postby heda » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:54 pm

I ran trains today for the first time in about 18 months I used the best runners and to my surprise (and delight) they ran almost without a hitch, after spending a couple of pleasant hours watching trains go slowly round I'm now feeling even more inspired to push on and get the landscaping done. A couple of pictures.

Dave

Last edited by heda on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:22 pm

I like the scruffed up vegetation a lot - and the stream is just perfect.

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Some excellent "views" here - as above, the stream/bridge/fallen tree area is delightful. Thanks for the photos!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:58 pm

Dave,

Looks like the forum is getting you going - I said it would! :)

Those shots are lovely, what did you use for the stream?

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

heda

Postby heda » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:49 pm

Thanks again chaps for the compliments, it took me a good while to feel confident enough to post pictures of the layout, now I'm very glad that I have.

The fallen tree was part of a bag load of old children's toys picked up for 50p at the car boot sale, didn't look anything like a real tree but with a little bit of cutting and some acrylic came out pretty good.

I laid grass mat over most areas that are to be grassed, to give a quick cover, I'm slowly covering it with static grass, a mix of 2mm & 6mm, various shades mixed as I go along to give a variation in colour.

The stream, turned out to be very easy, I spent ages reading about 'how to model water' and I wasn't at all confident. Anyway, I painted the bas with a mix of dark green and brown artist acrylic until I got the murky green colour. Next was 'Wilkinson acrylic gloss varnish' I painted on a fairly thick coat, it looks like milk, 24 hours later it looked like water. I gave it three or four coats until it looked deep. One thing, make sure the board is level obvious really in hindsight but the varnish will flow to the lowest point. It happened to me with the first coat, second coat I levelled the board and the varnish settled nicely.

Dave

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:16 am

What is your barbed wire fence made of? It looks very fine and I've been after something similar.

heda

Postby heda » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:56 am

Hi Luke

I made the fencing myself, started off with Peco flexible field fencing as I wanted something that would go uphill keeping the posts upright, but I couldn't get on with it. So I used the peco uprights and drilled 2 x 0.5mm holes in each one for the wire. Once I had threaded them on I drilled small holes in the board 3/4" apart and glued the posts in, I used UHU as it doesn't affect polystyrene where superglue melts it. A couple of posts are leaning a bit but I think that looks more realistic for that type of fence. Once the glue is set you can pull the wire fairly taught and add a drop of superglue to some of the posts to hold it in place. Once I had added PVA and static grass they were quite firm. I've got to make another fence (probably next week), so I'll take some pictures as I go.

I've attached another picture of the fence

Dave
Last edited by heda on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”