Loftfordshire, is there life in this yet?!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Michaelaface

Re: Loftfordshire

Postby Michaelaface » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:28 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:
I see that now on closer inspection of the photo - perhaps Specsavers beckon! (Remember going through Chorlton-cum-Hardy behind Jubilees etc. many times on Derby-Manchesters before the Britannias took over.)

I'm quite envious of that! I'm forever trying to imagine what the whole area must have looked like, in the steam era, every time I board a metrolink, and so far I've only found a handful of photos from google searches

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:05 am

Michaelaface wrote:
I'm forever trying to imagine what the whole area must have looked like, in the steam era, every time I board a metrolink, and so far I've only found a handful of photos from google searches

You can get a general "feel" for it from "The District Controller's View No. 6 The Peak District" (ISBN 1-901056-07-4) in that although I can only find one (limited view) photo of C-c-H in it on Page 26, it does contain the Passenger & Goods Working Timetable for 1954 together with ancilliary info. re. loco allocations in the area.

Have you tried:

https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.ie/201 ... ch-results

(The link doesn't seem to work correctly, but just enter "Chorlton-cum-hardy railway station" into the Blog's Search and you should get a result.

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:54 am

Ex-Pat wrote:Have you tried:

https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.ie/201 ... ch-results

(The link doesn't seem to work correctly, but just enter "Chorlton-cum-hardy railway station" into the Blog's Search and you should get a result.

there are some great shots on there but I'd already found them in other places

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:04 am

Been quite busy in the last week or so, and as a result I've not had that much time to work on the railway

however here's some progress I made last night and this morning, I'd say these are around 90% complete

would also like to note that the time it takes to make these has reduced significantly, and the most annoying parts are lining up the different sheets of the paper templates and then cutting the sleepers to size
also I'm finding that I now rarely need to tweak anything to gain smoother running
#practicemakesperfect

js1975

Postby js1975 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:50 pm

That's patience that is. Well done.

GreenBR

Postby GreenBR » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:02 am

Hello,
Can i ask what type of solder you are using?
Thanks in advance
Stephen

Apparently my memory has been degraded - so i am not stupid after all - what a relief!

http://www.mainline-railways.co.uk http://www.preserved-railways.co.uk

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:25 am

GreenBR wrote:Hello,
Can i ask what type of solder you are using?
Thanks in advance

I honestly can't remember, it came from either B&Q or maplins, got it years ago to solder power wire to the rails on my first loftfordshire attempt, but its worked fine for this

I am also using "carr's red flux" too, simply because I found it makes my soldering incredibly neat and easy to do

I do intend on purchasing a higher quality soldering iron and materials when I get the chance though

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:00 pm

They look excellent :D Remember that track is only as good as the wheels that run on it- check the wheel spacing on all your stock as they can be all over the place.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:53 am

for anyone wondering why I stopped posting, I've had a few layout ending issues

firstly, and this was a bit unexpected, I no longer have the time to spend building the pointwork for my layout, well at least time I'm willing to commit to building them, most of my free time comes after I finish work which is almost always 8pm and despite that I enjoy building points, I don't really feel like building them after a days work, and also because of point 2

secondly, the shape of the loft is crooked and the floor is horribly uneven and as a result the layout is now sagging all over the place, I'd expected this and tried to combat it by adding adjustable feet to the whole thing, but it just feels like a losing battle, its near impossible to get everything level and when I can it doesn't stay that way for long and constantly battling with this really isn't any fun at all

thirdly I'm actually hardly here anyway, I'm moving to leeds soon and whilst I will be back a lot, I don't think I'll have the time to continue working on it anyway

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:55 pm

Really sorry to hear of your problems - hopefully they will turn out to be surmountable in due course and normal service will resume!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:32 am

You can call me Anyone .........
Yes I did wonder where you were as your track building journey was one I
wanted to follow.
Things go wrong, I suppose it's all part of life's experiences, but annoying
and tends to knock confidence. Having the layout in your parents loft was
a danger, particularly if you're not getting there so often. A guy in our MRC
had a big layout in his parents loft - left home, Uni, married, job priorities
and during those decades his parents moved !!
All loose components saved, layout stripped and broken-up. A warning to think
ahead and try to make even a loft layout as 'portable' as possible within reason.

I do hope we see you back again, soldering iron in hand !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:42 am

well when this stuff gets moved out the way I get the space along the back wall of this room to build my next layout so its not all lost

it will mean I'll need to learn how to build a helix though....

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:56 am

You never take the easy way do you !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:27 am

Dad-1 wrote:You never take the easy way do you !!

Geoff T.

haha I wish I did, but there just isn't enough room for a full loop and I wouldn't be happy with a terminus layout, a helix would work though! and this house was built like 6 years ago so the floors are level, it shouldn't be too hard

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:52 am

actually no, ignore that, a helix would limit the scenic area far too much, I'll work something out

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”