Elmhurst, N gauge in the south west.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
THE CHIEF

Elmhurst, N gauge in the south west.

Postby THE CHIEF » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:52 pm

Hello again, long time no build :)
I've been planning a return to N gauge. Some of you may remember my last N gauge southern layout, Spearestone set on the Kent coast. This time I'm going for somewhere on the Waterloo to Exeter route. The frame has been built and is 8 X 3 or 2440mm X 915mm depending on which language you speak :wink:
On the last layout the theme was trains passing through a landscape with no station to speak of, Elmhurst in contrast will be set around a sizeable station.
The framework is constructed using 2x1 PSE timbre with 2x2 PSE used for the legs.
To aid track laying and cleaning the legs have been fitted with castors to allow the layout to be rolled forwards so I can get behind it.
The track plan I am keeping to myself for now, but here's the theme :)
Track will be code 55 from peco using electro frog points wired for polarity switching. All stock will have detailing parts fitted where appropriate like so...

I understand that those pictures are quite boring for now so here's a pretty one to hold you over until track laying begins :wink:

So yea. It looks like there's plenty of N gauge going on on here set all around the world. Some small layouts, some HUGE! I'll be sitting somewhere in the middle. I look forward to catching up on all your threads and digging out little nuggets of inspiration :)

Notroh

Re: Elmhurst, N gauge in the south west.

Postby Notroh » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:04 pm

The Chief

I cant wait for further instalments.... :)

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

ceejaydee

Postby ceejaydee » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:23 pm

Some lovely benchwork there TC.

8'X3' in N is a decent amount of space and it will be good to see this project take shape.
Regards
Christopher D.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:30 pm

Wonderful to see the sequel to Spearstone at last, look forward to more. :)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:36 pm

Thanks chaps :)
Ceejaydee, Thanks for the compliment. I don't really like building frames but I think this one has come out well, be it slightly over engineered.
Flying Scotsman123, although only slightly bigger than Spearestone it should appear much larger. The scenic section was about 7 square feet, Elmhurst's scenic area should be 16 square feet.
Notroh, this will be a slow build, but I'll update as things happen :)

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:42 pm

Hello again Chief - I knew you'd return to N :lol:.
You have a decent amount of space to play with (16 square feet is a lot at 1:148) and I will be following this thread with interest.
Looks like some quality woodworking there by the way . . . 8)
Last edited by PinkNosedPenguin on Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:01 pm

Looks like the start of a good size layout for N. Looking forward to see it develop
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Memran

Postby Memran » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:47 am

Nice! I knew you'd come back to N! :D

If this meets the quality of Spearestone, it will definitely be one to watch :D

Care to share your track plan? (You know I like track plans :lol:)

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:31 am

Great to see this taking shape.
More than a little scope with that size in 'N'
Looks like years of watching !

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks again :wink:
OK memran, but just the basic plan. I need to keep some things back for future posts :D
The fiddle yard at the back will be hidden. As you can see, although there is quite a large space available I have resisted the temptation to have multiple running lines and a huge amount of sidings in favour of more gentle curves around the front. Whilst I will have the odd 8 or 9 coach express passing through, the main traffic will be 5 or 6 coach trains that will comfortably fit in the station. The crossing at the bottom is a double slip just to save on any confusion :wink:
Dad-1, yes plenty of modelling to be done that will take me a looong time to fill the board. But you can look forward to a filthy 28xx rattling through with a loose coupled freight eventually :)

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:54 pm

Plan looks great, with (as you say) plenty of scope for scenic development. (if it were me though, I'd have completed the circuit on both lines, for more "watching the trains go by" potential). I know very little about real railways :oops: and am wondering about the headshunt containing a turntable?

ceejaydee

Postby ceejaydee » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:34 pm

Interesting plan TC - is it a junction station hence the one line in and two out?

Give the position of the TT it could be useful for turning locos before they go on shed.

The prospect of long freights behind 28xx locos is something to look forward to :D
Regards
Christopher D.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:47 pm

Thanks PNP. It will all make sense later on, wait till some buildings go in. The last layout was all about trains passing. On this one trains will have to stop and let each other pass. Or I can leave one train running around and do a bit of shunting. I've been looking at your videos of shunting combined with notroh's discrete cut down magnets. Although I might have a look at under track magnets.

Sorry ceejaydee, you posted as I was typing. Got it in one. A WR meets SR junction station, with the WR section on a single line. Again yes, the top two sidings are the sight of the shed. Onto the TT then into the shed. The 28xx is a favourite of mine. I could never justify one on Spearestone, but now I'm modelling the south west to include a couple of western locos I like.

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:01 pm

Careful planning, excellent woodwork(ing), nice uncrowded trackplan....huge potential I reckon. And yes that's a lot of scenic space in N! Expectations are high!

Bring it on...
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Memran

Postby Memran » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:18 pm

Thanks for showing the plan. I can see where you are going with this, and it makes a lot of sense and I'm sure it will make more sense once you have some structures in place. :)

I'm getting to understand the concept and purpose of an off-scene fiddle yard now (I think). Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that they are to simulate "the rest of the world" and draws the focal point to the main front, operational part of the layout, thus giving the illusion of different trains arriving and departing from other remote locations. While I can see the appeal of this, I think you're right to say that I'm a "trains on display kind of guy". Perhaps this will change in future if/when I begin to desire more realism in operation and less "train set" playability. Similarly, I just don't understand end-to-end layouts. That's just me, I'm afraid. :?

Having said all that, I really look forward to seeing how this progresses because it is 100% certain that I will learn some great things from you! :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”