Slow Project - Progress at last

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
End2end

Re: Slow Project - Progress at last

Postby End2end » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:30 pm

Oranoco wrote:Having a nightmare with my Peco curved points as my HST just won't cross them without derailing. Any hints or tips as to what I may be doing wrong? For now I've abandoned the rear most loop

Have you checked the back to back measurement of the wheels too?
I recently changed a wagons wheels to a new, straight out of the packet, set of Hornby metal spoked wheels and found that one set would not fit. It was then I realised that the back to back measurement was out from the factory.
I'm now on the hunt for a DCC Concepts DCG-BB145 OO back to back wheel gauge, which funny enough I was researching today. :)
http://www.ehattons.com/80702/DCC_Conce ... etail.aspx
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

BaldEagle

Postby BaldEagle » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:06 pm

Wow this layout is coming along nicely. What are your plans for scenic work?

Oranoco

Postby Oranoco » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:17 pm

Have to confess progress has been a little lacking. Back at work after Christmas and buying myself another car to play with so have been a little preoccupied.

I did manage to swap the buffer for a hydraulic version where the 110 is stored and think I can swap the curved points out for Peco's larger radius versions.

Unsure on the scenery at the minute but need to do something

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:22 pm

I had similar issues with my curved points at the beginning of my build. In the end I simply removed all the curved points, I was using code 80 N gauge so not sure if your issues being 00 are the same.
I prefer my loco's to enter a point from a straight length of track so the front pony is inline with running gear. It made a vast difference for me and eliminated any more derailing frustrations. Not everyone has the same problems but for me,it was a simple fix, offload onto eBay and replaced with long straight points. :D

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:59 am

It's just about impossible to design a curved point which fits settrack geometry in all possible configurations without the smaller radius through the point becoming even smaller. This is what causes most of the problems. The better solution is a point from Peco's streamline range combined with some flexi track. The best solution is custom designed pointwork which can truly follow prototype principles. If the result of using a streamline point, (or a straight settrack one) results in an overly wide gap between tracks, a drainage culvert or some other low level structure can provide you with an excuse. Don't plant a telegraph pole or signal, it will get taken out by something with a large overhang :o
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Oranoco

Postby Oranoco » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:36 pm

Been a little while as I've been flat out at work as well as building props for my my good ladies amateur dramatics kids group and playing with car stuff.

I decided a set of Streamline curved points over the set track items was a good gamble and some time today was spent lifting the track and attacking spare track sections with the trusty Dremmel.

Much testing with my most tempremental loco's and no derailments :D

Also added a pair of new loco's

Hopefully start to get some ballasting down this week.

Oranoco

Postby Oranoco » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:12 pm

Added a station bridge today. Must stop browsing ebay with a glass of wine of an evening.

GaryAM

Postby GaryAM » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:16 am

I agree, I'm the same, the first sip - loco looks OK, the second sip it must be a bargain, finish the glass and it looks like something akin to 'Del Boy's Nautical Time Piece'

Oranoco

Postby Oranoco » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:51 pm

The vintage egg timer. LoL

Oranoco

Postby Oranoco » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:20 am

A trip to a model railway exhibition in Biggleswade yesterday bagged me an extra coach for my DMU for a tenner.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:35 am

I love your new additions, the Duke of Gloucester is one particular loco I would like myself. I also went to a local show last weekend over Milton Keynes, really, really busy. I was a little disappointed as I couldn't get to see much, but having said that, I did manage to pick up a few useful bits and pieces. Look forward to seeing your layout develop now your getting to the ballesting stage. Looking good :D :D

Oranoco

Postby Oranoco » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:28 pm

Another addition but still no notable progress with the board.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”