Crossways Wagon Works - an experiment in 7mm

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Kentishman

Re: Crossways Wagon Works - an experiment in 7mm

Postby Kentishman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:20 pm

I went to the Bristol show yesterday and was very impressed - excellent layouts in a wide range of scales and very good trade support too. However, what really made the trip worthwhile for me, was this laser cut loco shed kit from a firm called LCut. With a little modification I can visualise this as Crossways Wagon Works and it will save me a lot of time over scratch building something too. I also acquired 6 electro magnetic uncouplers and 0 gauge DG couplings from Wizard / MSE. Progress continues.
Attachments
2016-04-29 Bristol Show (54) (800x572).jpg
2016-04-29 Bristol Show (54) (800x572).jpg (237.61 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Thu May 05, 2016 8:43 am

4th May 2016
Well, it’s been seven days of mixed fortunes. To start with, my new Tenma 60W soldering station arrived very promptly from Farnell. Should anyone be interested, it came with a 0.5mm needle tip, but this isn’t stated in the product information so I duplicated this in the selection of tips that I also ordered – no matter, it wasn’t dear. Early efforts are promising, especially when I tried 145 degree solder.

I thought I’d have a change from track building so had a look at the LCUT loco shed. I made an outline of a three bay shed, white tacking the pieces together. I'm very happy with the look of the shed

2016-05-04 Crossways Progress (1) (800x371).jpg
2016-05-04 Crossways Progress (1) (800x371).jpg (181.61 KiB) Viewed 993 times

but it’s quite a bit wider than I anticipated, so much so that some rethinking is required. Option 1 would be to keep the base board depth at 15ins and compress the width of the entrances to the bays: this would make everything look too cramped and tight for the notional work space inside the works.

Option 2 is to dismantle (why are things now disassembled?) the base board and insert a fillet along the back to increase the board depth by 3 or 4 inches. If I go along this route, I may as well make enough room to put an alley way along the back of the workshop to increase the feeling of space. Here are some photo’s to show what I’m getting at.
2016-05-04 Crossways Progress (4) (800x559).jpg
Back of works flush to back scene
2016-05-04 Crossways Progress (4) (800x559).jpg (249.71 KiB) Viewed 993 times

2016-05-04 Crossways Progress (6) (800x610).jpg
With passage way behind works
2016-05-04 Crossways Progress (6) (800x610).jpg (241.52 KiB) Viewed 993 times

Of course, this will require the traverser pit to be extended, or more likely built afresh, so it's just as well that I'm not on any fixed deadline.

And finally, odds and ends of track plus shunter and wagon;
2016-05-04 Crossways Progress (11) (800x410).jpg
2016-05-04 Crossways Progress (11) (800x410).jpg (221.9 KiB) Viewed 993 times

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Thu May 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Will you 0 gaugers please stop tempting me - I've got far too much time and money invested in N gauge. We ban (rightly) politics and religion, so can we ban temptation as well ( :lol: ). There are some splendid examples shown, like that Terrier above. I shall report any sins to our local priest for forgiveness.

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Thu May 05, 2016 3:04 pm

pointstaken wrote:Will you 0 gaugers please stop tempting me - I've got far too much time and money invested in N gauge. We ban (rightly) politics and religion, so can we ban temptation as well ( :lol: ). There are some splendid examples shown, like that Terrier above. I shall report any sins to our local priest for forgiveness.

Dennis

Sorry Dennis, in part it's down to Dapol and having seen the Terrier reviews, in part it's down to Mrs KM (bless her) who has often incited me to get something nice if I see it (yes, she really has) and in part it's down to my own inability to walk away from a loco that looks marvellous but makes no sense in the context of what I already have, e.g. :

DSC_0161 (800x449).jpg
Mallet 2-6-6-2 (Bachman Spectrum)
DSC_0161 (800x449).jpg (258.58 KiB) Viewed 978 times

So yes, I too was primarily an N gauger until I heard the Sirens' calls. (Come to think of it, the Terrier and the Mallet were both purchased on the spur of the moment at Swanley shows, perhaps I should avoid going there?)

As an aside, Swanley is not famed as the hang out of Sirens nor any other fabulous mythological creatures. Mrs KM used to work with a chap who lived in Swanley and had a BMW of which he was very proud. He woke one night to hear one of the local intelligentsia trying to break into his cherished vehicle. This gentleman had a rather short fuse and vented his feelings upon the said youth in a rather physical and memorable manner. My wife's colleague's profession? Clinical psychologist - I kid you not.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:31 pm

We obviously need a lot more Clinincal Psychologists, I suppose a few defence lawyers as well !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Thu May 05, 2016 6:32 pm

Nice one Geoff, but still doesn't remove temptation. Get thee behind me, you 0 gauge Satan, before I buy an 0 gauge Mallet ! :lol:
Any rate, I don't want to side track from some first class modelling by the OP.

Dennis

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Fri May 06, 2016 10:04 am

pointstaken wrote: Get thee behind me, you 0 gauge Satan, before I buy an 0 gauge Mallet !
Dennis

Now that I would like to see! I have seen an 0 gauge Big Boy though, that was very impressive.

Please don't think of me as some infernal emissary, come to lure you down the primrose path to eternal 0 gauge damnation, (though I'm sure all infernal emissaries would say that ...). For me, Crossways Wagon Works is a 'toe-in-the-water' to see how I get on with 0 gauge at a low level of financial commitment (for 0 gauge that is). A far less costly approach would be to start with O9 or O16.5, where loco's can be built for a fraction of the cost of O, rolling stock is cheap and for a few yards of flexi track and a couple of points you can have a 7mm layout in minimal space. The trouble is, that Terrier just looks so pretty.

pointstaken wrote:Any rate, I don't want to side track from some first class modelling by the OP.
Dennis

That's very kind of you to say so Dennis, but I'm afraid that if you could see things in the flesh, and with the imminent butchery of the base board, you'd have to modify your view. I think it was Woody Allen who said that his boss said he was a fifth rate employee, he said he greatly resented that and considered himself as third rate: they compromised on fourth rate.

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Fri May 06, 2016 12:33 pm

Nice to hear your good-natured rebuttal, KM, but I expect others would agree with me about the modelling standards. Must admit though, at 74, I am thinking about moving up in scale. Apart from my eyes possibly worsening, my fingers ain't so flexible, so I may move up in scale. Z scale isn't really practicable for me.

Dennis

(PS I do agree about that lovely little Terrier ! )

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:34 pm

6th June
May has passed and first offspring is wed. Back to some modelling! On the 29th May, I took Crossways Wagon Works to Bridport Club's open day, its first public airing although very much in its infancy but it's a start. I’m still building track, however an end is in sight. In the meantime I’m thinking about the extension fillet and have produced a slightly revised track plan increasing the depth of the layout from 15” to 19”. I had a quick look in the garage yesterday and there appears to be enough spare 6mm ply available too. NB there will be three N gauge tracks in the traverser pit, I've just been too lazy to update that part of the plan.
Attachments
0 & 09 36 x 19 wagon works v5.jpg
0 & 09 36 x 19 wagon works v5.jpg (118.5 KiB) Viewed 799 times

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:52 am

‘Time flies when you’re enjoying yourself’, well it certainly has. During the last year, work on the layout has been sporadic, but it has continued. The base has been extended by 4”, the track was completed and laid, a new traverser has been made, the wiring and isolating sections set up and a back scene and new buildings sorted out. Bridport club held an open day at the end of April and Crossways Wagon Works was there as a working work-in-progress. I also took it along to the Exeter Gauge O Group, (ExGOG) and received some very supportive comments, the layout subsequently formed part of ExGOG’s stand at the Exeter show at the beginning of July and worked well. However, I still haven’t sorted out the couplings, so wagons have to be pushed everywhere by the shunters. When it comes to getting wagons out of the works, I run the narrow gauge shunter in to its shed at the front of the layout, then do a ‘hand-of-God’ to move it across to the selected bay in the works and then push the chosen wagon back out on to the traverser. It does for the time being but greatly restricts the layout’s full potential. Here are a couple of photo’s of the current state of things.
2017-07-25 Crossways progress (11) (533x800).jpg
2017-07-25 Crossways progress (11) (533x800).jpg (243.48 KiB) Viewed 560 times

The unpainted buildings to the left are the stores with first floor office and beside it, a visitors’ centre to allow the traverser and yard to be viewed without endangering the public.
2017-07-25 Crossways progress (1) (800x391).jpg
2017-07-25 Crossways progress (1) (800x391).jpg (213.51 KiB) Viewed 560 times

The white card is the sub base for ‘concrete’ aprons and paths on which I’m currently working.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Looking good, I'm sure you'll get the couplings sorted at some point

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”