The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RailwayRobbo

Re: The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:46 pm

THE BUILDINGS ON PETERSDALE

I had a firm plan for the buildings on PETERSDALE. They were going to be grouped, if possible in the same materials/manufacturer. A variety of plastic and card kits would be used.
The station, signal box and goods shed would be Prototype Models LMS examples that I had bought for PETERSDALE version 2 and had accompanied new on my travels for nearly 20 years.
The engine shed and assorted huts etc. would be plastic Ratio/Wills kits. The Church and cottages would Metcalfe card kits which I had only discovered when I started to think about the buildings on PETERSDALE version 3.

BUT THAT ALL GOT THROWN OUT OF THE WINDOW.

Prototype LMS Station.jpg
Original Station Kit
Prototype LMS Station.jpg (350.6 KiB) Viewed 2513 times

I liked the prototype version of Uppingham Station. It was a bit different in that it was of timber construction and larger in size than your usual branch line station.

Prototype NMS Goods Shed.jpg
Original Goods Shed Kit
Prototype NMS Goods Shed.jpg (150.73 KiB) Viewed 2513 times

Uppingham Goods Shed.

Prototype LMS Signal Box.jpg
Original Signal Box Kit
Prototype LMS Signal Box.jpg (159.78 KiB) Viewed 2513 times

Draughton Crossing Signal Box on the now closed Northampton to Market Harborough line. Kit still unopened after nearly 20 years.

All 3 kits are labelled as LMS but are all of L&NWR design.

For PETERSDALE version 1 I had built a few Superquick kits with reasonable results so I thought these Prototype kits would be of a similar quality and build (that was my opinion when I bought them 20 years ago). At this point I had no knowledge of how card kits had advanced over the 20 years since I had last built one. Starting on the station front I realised that having to manually cut out all the window and door openings was going to be a soul destroying exercise so later I abandoned the Prototype kits in favour of the Metcalfe ones. The prototype station kit had around 25 doors and windows to cut out. When I built my first Metcalfe kit (A Workers Cottage) I was hooked. I decided that where possible the majority of buildings on PETERSDALE would be Metcalfe.

PETERSDALE contains basically 3 areas of buildings.

The Station and The Signal box.
The Goods Yard with the Goods Shed and a variety of huts such as the Weighbridge and Coal Merchant etc.
The Loco Shed Yard which includes the Shed, Water Tower (a later addition) and numerous huts.
Certain structures weren't made by Metcalfe like a variety of small huts, coaling stage and cattle pens so these would have to be Ratio/Wills plastic kits.

Here is a link to photos of the original buildings at Uppingham in the late 50s.
http://www.yesterdayimages.co.uk/photo_10647601.html
Today it's all gone and is an industrial estate.

FOOTNOTE : I bought the Prototype kits when I lived in Chesterfield. I now live in Northants at Raunds and the 3 original structures of the Prototype kits would have all been within 20 miles of me. Coincidence?

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:26 pm

RailwayRobbo wrote:THE BUILDINGS ON PETERSDALE

Draughton Crossing Signal Box on the now closed Northampton to Market Harborough line. Kit still unopened after nearly 20 years.

I now live in Northants at Raunds and the 3 original structures of the Prototype kits would have all been within 20 miles of me. Coincidence?

That brings back memories - I walked that line several times when living in Wellingborough and would often park at Draughton.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:37 pm

THE ROW OF WORKER'S COTTAGES ON PETERSDALE.

So the first area to acquire buildings would be the row of Worker's Cottages.
It was when I built the first of these that I saw the light and decided to do the majority of the buildings on PETERSDALE from the Metcalfe range. My first effort really impressed me. It was really easy to assemble, of strong construction and realistic. The only thing that bothered me was the pristine look it had. This was remedied with some careful weathering using some weathering dye. The best method if you are using dyes is to remove most of the dye from the brush before using it. Working from the bottom brush up to the final height of the weathering and let it dry. Then each subsequent coat gets shorter from the bottom so the finished weathering gets lighter as you go up the walls etc. The dye can be easily smudged using a cloth (or your finger) to get an even graduation of the dirty wall. Although I have not used them yet I would think weathering powders would be ideal for use on card kits rather than the liquid dyes. I would think that you can rub them off if you make a mistake.

058.JPG
Building begins.
058.JPG (445.56 KiB) Viewed 2506 times

The first pair of cottages are in place. The white lines are a guide for placing the cottages in line at the right distance apart.
You guys that are familiar with Metcalfe kits know that the cottages come with outhouses. Because the area in which the cottages stand is very tight (I didn't know if the 4 pairs cottages would fit until I'd built them)I built all the outhouses then glued them together to form the structure you see in the picture. Unbeknown to me in a pack of building sheets there was a sheet of roof tiles that fitted my 'terraced' outhouses spot on.
I wonder if the driver of the old Jaguar realises he's just missed being hit by a falling lamp post.

059.JPG
Second pair of cottages built.
059.JPG (332.36 KiB) Viewed 2506 times

The builders are making progress and it looks like it's wash day for one of the families. It also looks like the council have delivered some brand new old fashioned galvanised dustbins.
The lamp post's been put back up and a 'portable' lamp hut has appeared at the end of the station platform at the right in the picture.

060.JPG
2 occupants of the cottages leave for work.
060.JPG (463.15 KiB) Viewed 2506 times

Two of the cottage's occupants are off down to the station for their daily commute. They'll walk down Church Hill (Road, Street?) then take a short cut and nip through the goods yard onto the station platform. Having no garden space at either the front or the back of the cottages a small flowerbed has been provided to brighten up the fronts of the cottages.

061.JPG
The row is complete and the builders have gone.
061.JPG (659.26 KiB) Viewed 2506 times

The cottages are finished and fully occupied. It must be the same time of day as the last picture as the same 2 people are off down to the station again.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:32 pm

This layout is coming along really nicely. The row of cottages look superb, they really look like they sit naturally in the landscape. I look forward to your future updates.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:46 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:
RailwayRobbo wrote:THE BUILDINGS ON PETERSDALE

I now live in Northants at Raunds and the 3 original structures of the Prototype kits would have all been within 20 miles of me. Coincidence?

That brings back memories - I walked that line several times when living in Wellingborough and would often park at Draughton.

Hi Ex-Pat.
I'm going to have to hold my hands up here and admit that I've neglected The Brampton Way. In the 15 years or so I've lived in Northants you can count the times I've visited on the fingers of one hand. And then I've never took a ride on the railway. I've only walked the southern end of the path from the station as far as the A508. Just looked on google maps to find Draughton which is at the northern end. Me thinks I will have to remedy this when spring comes next year.

Pete

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:48 pm

skyblue wrote:This layout is coming along really nicely. The row of cottages look superb, they really look like they sit naturally in the landscape. I look forward to your future updates.

Thanks for the comment skyblue.
I'm playing catch up at the moment with the photos of the layout. Hopefully I'll be up to date round about the new year.

Pete

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:08 pm

The cottages have blended in perfectly with the landscape, I just wonder what the pair of ladies
hanging out their clean washing would say, if an 8f or WD belched smokily by?

I have weathered a few Metcalfe buildings using matt acrylics watered down, but your method sounds a better method to me.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Jim.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:49 pm

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. I've just spent the evening reading your entire thread and it is incredible. You have a gift for the story telling and each post has enlightened me further on the history of real world railways and your techniques for achieving scenery, landscape and character in the modelling world.

As for the layout, itself, it is simply epic. Every aspect has something to pause and ponder at. You must be very pleased with it. My particular favourites are the canal and the row of cottages. Everything just fits in perfectly and looks completely natural.

I will follow this thread with interest and look forward to many more posts.

Paul

DonB

Postby DonB » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:54 am

What a fantastic layout.
Every part of the scenery is brilliantly done; I'm having difficulty in singling out particular areas, but those that immediately caught my eye were:

The canal - Very accurately observed environs, from the bank-side vegetation to the textures on towpath and surrounding fields. The water effect is excellent; those slight ripples give the illusion of a gentle breeze blowing through the bridge toward the observer, and yes, it does appear to bend left under the bridge!

Workers cottages - Stunning detail work, and it just shows what can be done with card kits. Some people tend to dismiss card kits for whatever reason, but I invite those individuals to have a look at this thread. Incidentally, those terraced outbuildings look exactly like a structure situated barely 200 yards from where I sit typing this...

Church Hill/Road/Street - I want to live there! :D
Sorry... Where was I? Oh yes...
All too often, one sees straight edges on country roads and tracks (guilty as charged), when in real life, it is seldom the case.
Those hedges (are they the Javis ones?) look excellent, and your use of lichen proves that the "older" materials still have a place today.

Terrific work. I shall be watching progress.

I'm sure I have seen anglers, and an artist with easel in the Preiser range.
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:09 pm

CANAL CRUISE ANYBODY?

A big thanks guys for the comments. They're really appreciated.
That's the great thing about these forums, they are so interactive. People commenting on your layout and you on their's. People even from the other side of the world. I suppose the majority of us go to 1 or 2 exhibitions each year and drool over the amazing club layouts on display. My 2 regular trips are Warley @ The NEC and Peterbrough, although I did go to Stafford for the first time this year. Usually I go by train from Northampton or Wellingborough as long as there's a shuttle service at the other end to get me to the exhibition. I've got Leamington Spa MRE pencilled in for 2016. There must be 100's of great layouts secreted away in attics, lofts and sheds that wouldn't get a viewing if it wasn't for these types of forum. Long may it continue.
Another great thing about being a modeller is that birthdays and Christmas we always have a wish list and there's never any difficulty answering the question, "what do you want for your birthday/Christmas?" This year it's rumoured Santa is bringing me one of Bachmann's ridiculously priced Autocoaches in maroon.
Last birthday (September) I got a narrowboat for the canal (see pictures below). The guy that makes them (mountfordmodels) is based in the village next to the last colliery I worked at in the coal industry back in North Derbyshire.

Hi Don. The hedging is K&M Countryscene. I think it comes in 3 different heights. It's very realistic I think and the great thing is due to it's wire construction you can bend it to go round corners and also to follow any uneven ground contours. There's so much variety in scenic items I often wonder why people just use the same size trees or the same scatter covering all over their layouts. I'm with you as regards card kits. You can take them to the next level as well by adding gutters and downpipes etc. Thanks for the info on the Preiser figures. I will 'google' them later.

Thanks Paul. Yes I'm really pleased with the way it's turning out. At the start I'd really no idea what to expect but as I've progressed I've really got absorbed in it. There are days when I spend far too much time in the layout shed. Today is a good example. I'm supposed to be painting skirting boards. I'll do them tomorrow, maybe. LOL.

Thanks Jim. I think it could be a sunny summer Sunday and the housewife is making the most of the lack of activity on the line. Back in the 50s/60s my Aunty's garden backed onto the line close to Mansfield Station. She always had to choose her day for hanging out her washing. It was a great place for a young lad like me to go spotting though. It was one trip to relatives I used to enjoy.

062.JPG
A slow lazy cruise down the canal.
062.JPG (330.65 KiB) Viewed 2425 times

063.JPG
Think it should be renamed the Marie Celeste.
063.JPG (325.32 KiB) Viewed 2425 times

The absence of anybody on board is a bit worrying, but don't fret he's still in his plastic bag waiting to be painted. I hope he's okay.

Fratton71D

Postby Fratton71D » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:41 pm

Your layout looks amazing!!

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:51 am

Fratton71D wrote:Your layout looks amazing!!

Thanks Fratton.
It really is looking good if I say so myself. It's turning out to look much better than I first thought it would. It's amazing what you can do with what's available off the shelf materials these days.
Pete

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:58 pm

TO THINK THIS STARTED OUT AS A SHORT HEADSHUNT.

Loco Shed Yard.
Hi guys. This is my last post till after the fat guy in the red suit has been. The post after this will get my thread bang up to date.

064.JPG
General view of the Loco Shed Yard looking over the Church yard.
064.JPG (244.38 KiB) Viewed 2317 times

The Shed and Water Tower are Metcalfe. The small Coaling Stage and the huts are Ratio.
Originally I had planned to use plastic kits for this area of the layout but after building my first Metcalfe card kit that was another plan out of the window.
The Water Tower was actually added as an after thought to fill in the empty corner in the Loco Shed Yard.

065.JPG
Single Road Loco Shed
065.JPG (222.88 KiB) Viewed 2317 times

Close up of the main shed showing the bits and pieces that can be added to give the area some realism.
This is an area of the layout where you can continually find appropriate things to add over time. Broken pallets for lighting up, oil drums, numerous bits of scrap metal etc.
Also you never see a clean loco yard so lots of muck and mess are essential.
Don't forget to weather the shed itself. It's probably housed locos for 50 years plus. That's a lot of smoke, steam and general dirt.

066.JPG
Another general view of the yard.
066.JPG (226.61 KiB) Viewed 2317 times

The siding next to the running line is used to stable the station shunter etc.
The top siding runs back between the shed and the water tower and provides coaling facilities for locos and extra space for locos and wagons when needed.

067.JPG
A 3 car DMU crosses the canal.
067.JPG (195.76 KiB) Viewed 2317 times

A 3 car DMU crosses the canal bridge heading towards (or heading away from?) the station.
Horses have been released into the field to the left of the canal.
The canal towpath is still empty of any sign of life human or otherwise.

068.JPG
A school visit to the Church Pond.
068.JPG (305.96 KiB) Viewed 2317 times

The Schoolmaster's brought a select few students down to the Church Pond on a visit.
The ducks are nowhere to be seen. Looks like the noisy boys have scared them off (actually they're still in the bag waiting to be painted).
The squirrel on the wall next to the sheep doesn't seem to mind the noise the boys are making.

If you've followed/commented on my thread in 2015 then thanks a lot guys it's much appreciated. More to come in 2016.
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY MODELLING 2016 TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS.

Pete.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your thread.
Best of the seasons greetings to you & yes I'm looking forward
to reading of progress through 2016.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Also enjoying this thread thoroughly too.

Your loco depot scene looks excellent, in fact it looks like it's been there years.

Top marks from me, look forward to more contributions in the new year.

Seasons Greetings also from me too.

Jim.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”