The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RailwayRobbo

Re: The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:02 pm

VerdevaleRailway wrote:Hi RailwayRobbo Thanks for the scenic photo updates. The sort of inspiration I need to get some motivation to tackle my layout.

May I ask, which are the WS scatters that you are using?

Thanks, V.R.

Hi V.R.
For my top surface I use a blend of the following I made up myself.
I experimented a bit with different scatters so the finished surface didn't just end up with one colour.

The mix is :-
6 parts BLENDED TURF - GREEN (T49)
1 part FINE TURF WEEDS (T46)
1/2 part BLENDED TURF - EARTH (T50)

I also used various Underbrush, Foliage Clusters and Lichen for the bushes and shrubs.

Hope this is of use to you.
Pete.

VerdevaleRailway

Postby VerdevaleRailway » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:28 pm

Hi Pete,

Wow, that is very useful. I liked your colors, so great to know which products and proportions... I am much obliged.

Thank you :)
'whose origin was a terminus'

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:49 pm

VerdevaleRailway wrote:Hi Pete,

Wow, that is very useful. I liked your colors, so great to know which products and proportions... I am much obliged.

Thank you :)

Any time mate. No problem.

Pete

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:39 am

Continuing the the theme scenic progress on my layout PETERSDALE.

038.JPG
The Loco Shed Yard showing the retaining wall and the Farmer's Shire Horses in the field.
038.JPG (207.63 KiB) Viewed 2219 times

The fencing is RATIO.
The trees and foliage is WOODLAND SCENICS. I think the WS trees are quite acceptable as an 'off the shelf' item. My only gripe with them is that because they are of moulded construction you only get the branches coming out of 2 sides. This means when you fold the branches forward they sometimes do look a bit strange as you'll see from future photos of the layout.
The retaining wall as been weathered from the bottom up. I do this by using very diluted water based dye weathering liquid (black or dark grey) on a smallish, flat, stiff paintbrush. I then put it on using a 'stabbing' motion. If it looks too dark I streak it up the wall with my thumb before it can dry. You have to be careful not to overload the brush. Literally remove all excess dye before starting. Of course building up layers makes for a graduated finish.

039.JPG
A grounded body was added at the entrance to the Loco Shed Yard.
039.JPG (276.09 KiB) Viewed 2219 times

The van body is a Ratio kit. It's quick and easy to make. Bit of weathering and intrusive foliage finishes the job. Again the weathering was toned down by rubbing gently with a damp cloth.
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:59 am

Pressed the 'submit' button too early so I'll continue.

040.JPG
Looking up the main operating area. Area H which will feature the small rock face has been modelled to it's final contours and filled.
040.JPG (166.8 KiB) Viewed 2217 times

041.JPG
The Church (Area F) has got it's base colour. The area (G) for the Workmen's cottages is at the 'free paper' layers stage. The scrub area (I) has been contoured and filled and the area (H) where the rock face will be is ready for it's first scatter covering. The road has received a coat of grey paint.
041.JPG (212.13 KiB) Viewed 2217 times

The area of the rock face is showing up as a darker brown area in this picture.

042.JPG
The whole area has been contoured and received it's base colour. Additionally The area for the Workmen's Cottages has now been covered with a sheet of Metcalfe's Cobblestones and the area of the rock face has been picked out with grey and black paint. Although not very clear in the background some of the stone walling has been built to enclose the Churchyard.
042.JPG (184.27 KiB) Viewed 2217 times

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:34 am

SCENIC PROGRESS - THE CANAL.

Another criteria for building PETERSDALE was to include little areas of interest. A canal was a must for me. Here in Derbyshire we have quite a few and in NE Derbys we have the Chesterfield Canal which is being restored at the Chesterfield end at this moment in time. There are big plans for a marina on the edge of the town centre. The original canal linked Chesterfield with the River Trent which in turn gave access to the Humber.

043.JPG
Early stages of construction.
043.JPG (182.79 KiB) Viewed 2194 times

The canal bridge was the first structure to appear on the layout. The Canal bed and embankments are 6mm MDF.

044.JPG
Canal progresses to it's first (of many) coats of paint.
044.JPG (183.88 KiB) Viewed 2194 times

The canal bed and embankments have been painted with a grey emulsion. The square section cross members on the right have been added to support the polystyrene blocks that will form the contours of the scenery.

045.JPG
Another change of colour for the canal
045.JPG (172.88 KiB) Viewed 2194 times

Both the left embankment and the towpath on the right have received their base colour. The bridge is weathered and some foliage added.
I got the streaked effect effect on the canal bed purely by accident. When I was applying the base colour to the scenery I'd clean the excess paint out of the brush by just randomly wiping it up and down the canal bed. Usually there wouldn't be a lot of paint left on the brush so it produced the streaked effect. The original base colour I used on the scenery was a lighter shade of brown. I quickly ran out and couldn't get any more as it had been discontinued so had to use a darker shade. So the colour of the canal bed went from grey to light brown to dark brown.

046.JPG
A B1 61180 runs light engine over the canal bridge towards the station.
046.JPG (209.44 KiB) Viewed 2194 times

Although not regular performers on the Mansfield/Worksop line the B1s were regularly seen on summer specials to the east coast.
This loco is one of many cut price bargains from that well known Liverpool model shop I have in my collection.

047.JPG
The canal's looking green.
047.JPG (285.84 KiB) Viewed 2194 times

The left embankment looks complete (but don't take my word for it). The towpath side has got it's fencing but is still waiting for the trees and shrubs etc. to grow. Scenic materials are the usual Woodland range.
I tried one of my little experiments at this stage. I had a small pot of earth coloured scatter that had been with me since PETERSDALE version one. Of course as you can see it was ideal for the towpath but I had been thinking how could I add some texture to the canal bed. So I mixed some of the earth scatter with a very, very small amount of fine weathered ballast and cinders and the result was the lighter brown areas you can see on the canal bed.
The canal would get a finishing layer of Deluxe Materials Solid Water and a very nice Canal Barge acquired for my birthday in September. Both will appear in later photos.
I am currently looking for a couple of Anglers and some walkers to populate the towpath along with the dogs I already have.

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:53 pm

You are making blinding progress on this layout!

I love the canal scene. It really comes alive with the greenery on it. What are you planning on using for the water effect?

Keep up the good work

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:25 am

dan8400 wrote:You are making blinding progress on this layout!

I love the canal scene. It really comes alive with the greenery on it. What are you planning on using for the water effect?

Keep up the good work

Thanks
Dan

Thanks Dan.
Actually I'm playing catch up at the moment.
The photos I'm uploading were taken about 4 or 5 months ago.
I must admit I spent quite a bit of time in the Layout Shed from May through to October.
So maybe I'll be up to date around the new year at this rate.
I used Deluxe Materials Solid Water for the canal.
This was something else I did a bit of research on with quite a few different products on sale which aren't cheap.

Pete.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:49 am

MORE SCENIC DEVELOPMENT ON PETERSDALE.

Hi Guys. I'd like to point out that I'm not spending 20 hours a day in the layout shed furiously doing the scenic areas on the layout at this moment in time.
This current batch of pictures of progress on PETERSDALE are in fact from around June/July, so 5 months or so old.
I hope to get to 'real time' progress in the new year.
Posting these pictures have made me realise just how many man hours and the effort that goes into building a medium(?) size layout such as PETERSDALE.
Please bear with me. Thanks.

048.JPG
Left hand embankment of the canal. A little detail has been added.
048.JPG (174.8 KiB) Viewed 2154 times

The trees look well established in the field.
I must admit I'm enjoying putting the small detail on the layout. Here a couple of piles of tree trunks. Add a bit of shrub and it gives the impress they've been there quite a while.
I enjoyed doing the canal sides as well. It's all so random you don't need a plan. Just add bits where you think they look good, leave them out if they don't. Pay attention to Mother Nature. LOL
The one thing that does puzzle me about this picture is how black 4 bar fencing (far left) has changed colour to white. I can assure you guys that it should be the same colour as the fencing on the right of the canal. Something strange happening in Photoshop perhaps.
The canal is still 'dry'.

049.JPG
Platform end.
049.JPG (204.3 KiB) Viewed 2154 times

Back in the Station/Goods Yard area the original Autumnal foliage on the retaining wall has been changed to a more summery green to match the trees and shrubs on the layout. Some weathering has been done on the ballast and the whole area is getting a touch overgrown and uncared for. A station in decline.

050.JPG
Loco Shed Yard.
050.JPG (272.69 KiB) Viewed 2154 times

The Loco Shed Yard has acquired it's third track with the base laid for a single road engine shed. This area has of course just grown since the original plan was for only one short headshunt. The surface in the Loco Shed Yard was something I had no idea how to approach or what materials to use. I asked a few friends their opinions and methods. All were very helpful with either 'I did it this way' or look a such and such's youtube video (usually amazing exhibition layouts) answers. In the end I chose to cover the area in fine cinders to start with then I'd 'patch' areas with a mix of fine and medium cinders with the odd bit of coal thrown in. This involved just randomly applying glue to different sized areas and building up layers of cinders/coal to form an uneven surface. To finish I applied a little 'Solid Water' to form puddles wet areas and I also had some oil weathering liquid which I applied to certain areas to replicate the oily areas you'd get in a shed yard. This picture is only at the first stage of applying the fine cinders. The ballast in shed areas would be really dirty so heavy weathering was applied.
At the bottom of the picture you can see the embankment has got it's first covering of scatter. The stone wall has been built behind where the church will eventually be and in the bottom left corner you can see the beginnings of the church pond (small area coloured brown).

051.JPG
The towpath side of the canal.
051.JPG (279.71 KiB) Viewed 2154 times

The towpath side has finally received some vegetation. Having spent many happy hours walking canal towpaths in the past I've got to know the standard layout of canal side as I like to call it. In most cases the towpath side is fenced then there's a high hedge or trees and shrubs before opening out on to pasture which I have tried to replicate here on PETERSDALE. A good example of referring back to nature rather than any book on the subject.
The canal is still 'dry'.

052.JPG
The 'Rock Face'
052.JPG (195 KiB) Viewed 2154 times

The rock face has received a variety of vegetation to finish it off. The fencing continues to progress up Church Hill (or is it Road or Lane? Not decided yet.) while over the road the embankment between the area for the cottages and the road has been covered in scatter along with the 'scrub' area to the right.

AND SO THE SCENIC DEVELOPMENT OF PETERSDALE CONTINUES ......................................................... SO WHAT'S NEXT?

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:26 am

PETERSDALE CONTINUES TO GROW.

053.JPG
Looking up the platform
053.JPG (520.82 KiB) Viewed 2103 times

Looking up the platform the central area where the cottages and the strip of scrub land are situated have a base covering of scatter. Midland Railway style fencing has been erected along the footpath that is located between the running lines and the 'scrub'. The vegetation is now starting to appearing in the 'Rock Face' field (bottom right). A few odd items of rolling stock are stabled in the goods yard.

054.JPG
Looking towards the Loco Shed Yard.
054.JPG (576.17 KiB) Viewed 2103 times

Looking down the layout towards the Loco Shed Yard it seems Mother Nature has really been having a good time. In the 'Rock Face' field the vegetation as really took hold. The fencing is complete all the way up Church Hill (Road, Lane etc. etc.) and the Farmer's wasted no time getting a few sheep grazing. Over the road the 'Scrub' is totally different. Trees, shrubs and dense undergrowth seem to have appeared overnight. The rear of the Cottage area has been fenced off. A thick hedge has appeared along the roadside.
I think this picture shows the variety of a simple feature like fencing you can include in even a small layout. I've used 5 different ways to enclose areas such as my fields, the churchyard, the roadside and the rear of the cottages. From the top we have the common 4 bar field fencing (Ratio) on top of the retaining wall at the back of the Loco Shed Yard. Next is the stone walling (Javis) enclosing the Churchyard. The solid wooden fencing (Ratio) at the back of the cottage area keeps the kids off the running lines. Old GWR Staion fencing (Ratio) was used on the 'Rock Face' field. This GWR fencing was a remnant of PETERSDALE version 1. It seemed a waste not to use it even though it was the wrong style for MR territory. There is a little MR fencing at the top of the hill on the right hand side of the road and loads more out of picture at the Station. I wanted to include a natural form of 'fencing' on the layout so some K & M Countryscene was used on the roadside in front of the Cottage embankment and scrub land. It gives quite a good impression of a Gorse/Hawthorn type hedge. It also has the feel of a Gorse/Hawthorn type hedge as it is of a wire construction coated with plastic.If you include the retaining walls that's probably 6 variations on the theme of fencing.

055.JPG
The Church Pond
055.JPG (773.73 KiB) Viewed 2103 times

Another idea for a little 'cameo' area to add interest to the layout. A small fenced off area containing a small pond (Deluxe Materials Solid Water) with associated vegetation etc. situated at the back of the Churchyard wall. Later the pond will get it's resident ducks and a visit from the Schoolmaster and a few of his students.

056.JPG
The Canal
056.JPG (626.92 KiB) Viewed 2103 times

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. The canal's finally filled with water. It wasn't till I saw this picture that I realised that I'd got a slight ripple effect on the surface of the water (Deluxe Materials Solid Water). Is it just me or does the backscene viewed through the bridge seem to to give the impression the canal is curving off to the left.

057.JPG
Looking down the layout from the Station to the Loco Shed Yard.
057.JPG (654.42 KiB) Viewed 2103 times

A general view of the main running area of the layout. Just left of centre running vertically down the picture can be seen the footpath from the platform end down to the Goods Yard at the coal bunkers. The connection from the platform to the path will be by a barrow crossing across the running lines. Also down the footpath can be seen the first of many lamposts that would be planted over time at PETERSDALE STATION. The lamposts are Peco Modelscene Gas lights of which I seemed to have an abundance for some reason unknown to me when I started PETERSDALE version 1. They are originally coloured green so I sprayed them black. I really should hve painted them MR Maroon. This was another area where I didn't do any research but the lamps turned out to be spot on (See next post). The area for the cottages is awaiting the arrival of the builders.

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:36 am

No need for any comments beyond...this really is one of the very best.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:25 am

LAMPOSTS ON PETERSDALE.

You may think I've overdosed on the final amount of lamposts (and telegraph poles) I have on PETERDALE (see later posts). I think I may have to agree with you.
As I said in my last post I had a few packets of the Peco Gas Lamposts that travelled with me from the start of PETERSDALE version 1. Luckily the lamposts are spot on for the era and location of PETERSDALE. A total fluke as they say. I found these old photos of local stations that prove my point.

DCHQ500239.jpg
An early view of Whitwell Station.
DCHQ500239.jpg (68.05 KiB) Viewed 2101 times

A very old view of my local village station at Whitwell in Derbyshire. The picture shows the Mansfield platform with the Colliery in the background. The area between the stone wall and the colliery are the colliery sidings. These were known as the 'Duke's Sidings' named after the Duke of Portland whose's ancestral pile, Welbeck Abbey was about 2 miles further on in the distance behind the colliery. I have heard on a few occasions that when the line was opened the Duke thought he'd like a short branch line to his own station at the abbey to save him the 2 mile coach journey to the abbey. This was going to start at Whitwell and would run from behind the Mansfield platform then along the side of the colliery to the left of the picture, It never happened. The Duke had to be satisfied with the ornate metalwork that the MR had added to the platform exit on the Worksop side of the station and the honour of having the colliery sidings named after him. Of more interest is right in the centre of the picture is what must be the original station lighting. A gas lamp post.

bolsover station.jpg
Bolsover Station
bolsover station.jpg (119.54 KiB) Viewed 2101 times

A nice view of Bolsover Station in Derbyshire. Although Bolsover was a MR station it wasn't on the Mansfield/Worksop line. Bolsover was on the Chesterfield/Mansfield line which was mainly single line. To the left of the picture the line went under a road bridge and into Bolsover Colliery. At the side of the colliery was located the area HQ of the North Derbyshire Area of the NCB and later British Coal. All trace of railway and colliery have now gone. The station was called Bolsover Castle Station and passenger services ceased way back in 1930. Freight services continued till 1962. The last train to actually use the line was a Miner's Welfare special to the East Coast in 1981. The station was demolished in the late 80s. By road Bolsover is about 3 to 4 miles from Whitwell. The lamp posts are clearly seen on the platform. The line was known as the Doe Lea Branch line. I have seen pictures some years ago of an 00 gauge model of Bolsover Castle Station.

Shirebrook_West_railway_station_2122691_64a225c7.jpg
Shirebrook West
Shirebrook_West_railway_station_2122691_64a225c7.jpg (243.6 KiB) Viewed 2101 times

A classic 1957 photograph of Shirebrook West station. I think this great picture totally depicts the era of PETERSDALE. Shirebrook West was 3 stops after Whitwell towards Mansfield. Whitwell then Cresswell onto Langwith then Shirebrook West. After Shirebrook West it was Mansfield Woodhouse before finally arriving at Mansfield. The huge colliery spoil heap dominates the skyline with the colliery chimney in the background. Nestled between the pit and the station are the rows of red brick terraced houses connected with colliery villages. In the foreground a MR 4-4-0 enters the station heading towards Worksop with an interesting one coach train. The coach has the looks of something of a decent age. Anybody got any idea what this train may have been. Some kind of inspection train perhaps. The picture shows a great example of the platform lamp posts.

To finish a little football trivia for the 'older' members of the forum.
England's finest moment as far as football is concerned is the 1966 World Cup Final 4-2 victory over Germany. In the England team playing No.3 was a guy called Ray Wilson. He was playing for Everton at the time. Ray was actually born and raised in Shirebrook and on leaving school he went to work on the railway at Shirebrook. He is still regarded as a local hero in Shirebrook and rightly so. After he finished playing he became an Undertaker in Huddersfield.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:54 am

What superb scenery - I particularly like "The Church Pond" and "The Canal". With the latter it's only that faintest of creases that gives the backdrop away - and I only noticed the creases because I was trying hard to work out exactly where the backdrop started as it blends in so well. How about sticking an artist at easel on the canal bank perhaps?

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:01 pm

whynot wrote:No need for any comments beyond...this really is one of the very best.

Thanks for the comments whynot.
I think as far as vegetation and greenery are concerned these pictures are more or less up to date and dare I say finished.
The next big development of course is the buildings.

More to come soon.

Pete

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:22 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:What superb scenery - I particularly like "The Church Pond" and "The Canal". With the latter it's only that faintest of creases that gives the backdrop away - and I only noticed the creases because I was trying hard to work out exactly where the backdrop started as it blends in so well. How about sticking an artist at easel on the canal bank perhaps?

Thanks Ex-Pat your comments are much appreciated.
The Church Pond area is no bigger than 6" x 6" and adds a focal point of interest. Just a small feature appropriately placed.
I see layouts at exhibitions and in magazines where the builder has put lots of effort and hours of hard work into it's construction then filling every bit of space with buildings and think why didn't they just stop and think for a while about adding small features to add interesting focal points.
It only needs to be a group of figures interacting such as walkers or bird watchers positioned in an appropriate position. Even just appropriately grouped passengers waiting on the platform for their train. Something that copies real life in model form.
I've lost count of the times at exhibitions where I've heard somebody say, "Oh look at the such and such over there that's interesting etc." Then I think that's a good idea and nick it LOL.
An Artist with his/her Easel is a great idea. Just one figure doing something different. He/she is on my 'to find and buy' list.

Pete

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”