The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bufferstop

Re: The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:08 pm

[quote="RailwayRobbo"]Well another Warley come and gone.
Was it me or were there more smaller layouts this year?
It was quite comfortable in the morning then seemed to get busier after lunch./quote]

The one section was the minimum gauge show (MOMING). So there was a concentration on narrow gauge which increased the number of smaller layouts. Mrs W commented that there seemed to be less "bog standard" 00 layouts, plenty of 009 and 0/16.5 and seemingly more presence of the larger scales. The two RH&DR locos and their Royal coach were first class models in their own right.
The two Aberdeen layouts from the TV series had a large audience by the time we got there but worth seeing if only to say I could produce that, perhaps not in three days, but there's plenty of evidence on here to equal them.
It was nice to see plenty of youngsters and even the odd family or two. My only grump, the NECs rip off parking charges, I'll be checking the off peak fares along the Coventry to Newstreet line next year, perhaps even the bus ( free for us) from Solihull.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:27 am

My only grump, the NECs rip off parking charges, I'll be checking the off peak fares along the Coventry to Newstreet line next year, perhaps even the bus ( free for us) from Solihull. = Bufferstop

Can't disagree with you there Buffer.
£16 was it for on the day parking or £12 pre-booked.
It costs me just over £10 from Northampton to Birmingham International with the Senior Railcard.
We live 15 miles from Northampton so wife drops me off and picks me up.
When you get to Birmingham International it's about 5-10 minute walk through the NEC to Hall 5 and you don't even have to go out of the building to get there.
If I went by car it would be a 120 mile round trip. So it's a no brainer for me.
There's only one exhibition more convenient than Warley and that's the one at Derby in the old Roundhouse where it is literally at the side of the station. I get the train from Kettering (which is closer to us than Northampton) for that one.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:33 am

railwayjim wrote:The weathering is spot on Pete, love the sulzer especially, I agree
with you on Grimy Times weathering, they are at the top of their game
and at good prices too.

Really like your Sentinal, that will look nice weathered, never seen a
clean one in any pictures I have seen of them, 'grubby and neglected'
right up my street :wink:

Jim.

Yes the Sentinal is at the front of the weathering queue. I don't know when Steve from Grimy Times is next at one of my visits to an exhibition. I know he's not at Peterborough in a couple of weeks time. The one I go to after that is Stafford in early February so I may have to send it to him.

I've just looked and Steve (Grimy Times) is at Stafford so the Sentinal will be making the trip with me.

Pete

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:13 am

Took the 20 minute drive up the A605 to the Peterborough show on Sunday. A nice show as usual with something for everybody. Like Warley it seemed as though there were more smaller layouts but it maybe just me. I was there from 10.30 till 2.30 and it was reasonably comfortable most of the times. I had to pick up the 2 locos and the brake tender I'd given TMC at Warley. Pictures below. 41157 is TMC medium weathered and 80136 is heavy weathered. There's also a crew in 41157 but you can't see them in the picture (probably having a brew).
Peterborough is my last show for 2018. The date was changed from last year when it was before the Warley to after it for some reason. First one of 2019 is Stafford. Train from Northampton then shuttle bus to the showground. Classic example of the multitude of ticket prices on the trains nowadays. A cheap return with Senior Railcard = £20.20. 2 discounted singles with Senior Railcard = £7.90. Mind boggling.
The big gripe from a lot of people was that there wasn't any rest areas to have a 5 minute sit down. Chairs and tables at the catering points but none anywhere else in the hall.
I fired the layout shed heater up a couple of weeks ago to see that all was working well. I do need to get the residents of Petersdale painted now the short cold days are here.

IMG_3889.JPG
Midland Compound 4-4-0 No.41157

IMG_3903.JPG
BR 4MT Standard Tank 2-6-4 No. 80136

IMG_3892.JPG
BR Diesel Brake Tender
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:42 am

I think that weathering came up spot on :D I especially like the 4MT. I think you nailed it with their placement in the photos mate.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:12 pm

joshv8 wrote:I think that weathering came up spot on :D I especially like the 4MT. I think you nailed it with their placement in the photos mate.

Thanks for the comment Josh.
Yes, I think the 4MT is one of the best they've done for me.
You do pay the price though but they are consistently to the same standard every time I have a loco weathered with TMC.
I don't mind having a go at weathering my wagons but when it comes to locos I have neither the confidence or the skill so I leave it to the professionals.

Pete

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:28 pm

Off to the Stafford show tomorrow if there's no snow overnight.
I'm taking the Sentinel with me for Grimy Times to weather.
Train from Northampton then shuttle bus to the showground.
It's a good example of the crazy pricing on our railways.
Day return with senior railcard £20. Two seperate single tickets @ £3.95 = £7.90.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi guys.
Well the Sentinal is back from the weathering works c/o Grimey Times.
Pictures of the finished product below.
Steve charged me £20 including return postage which I thought was reasonable for the size of the loco.
Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of overspray on the back of the wheels so that needs a good clean.

I had an email from TMC about their weathering services a couple of weeks ago.
Sounds like they've had a drop in business due to the fierce competition and have introduced what they call a "Value Weathering" to their list.
It sounds like a quick once over with the airbrush to me. They're charging £22.50 for locos sent to them or £20 for locos supplied by them. Their standard and Deluxe weathering remain the same at £35 and £55.

Here's the main part of the email.

TMC strives to constantly improve its products. Even our standard weathering level gradually keeps increasing in detail over time. So our revised pricing structure takes this effort into consideration. Allowing this quality increase to gradually carry on further still.

However TMC wants to share its advances in processes and efficiency too.

Thus TMC are now trialing a Value Weathering range. Better than our standard weathering of 15 years ago. And more remarkably at better prices than 15 years ago!

More than just a tone down, and better than factory weatherings, our value weathering really is great value! This weathering service will be completed to a light to medium finish (we might vary this slightly, if it's a preserved loco for example, we'll automatically do it prototypically).

So whether you intend to continue with us on our quest for ever higher detail (both Standard & especially Deluxe Weathering ranges) or you wish your money to go even further (Value Weathering), we have 'something just for you'.

IMG_3920.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3935.JPG
68138 shunts a couple of full 16 ton mineral wagons for Robinson the Coal Merchants.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Well Pete, that looks absolutely perfect to me, have to say that in
my opinion Grimy Times are very good value for money and do an
excellent job.

It looks the business with the minerals in the siding.

Jim.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:16 pm

Very nice looking.

Now I could almost be tempted by that one, as it was a Hawick loco during the period July 1928 to August 1955, but spent its time out-stationed at Kelso shunting the yard there.

Is that a good enough reason to get one I wonder?

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:50 pm

Another good result, and at that price worth it.
Cleaning the wheel faces shouldn't be too difficult.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi guys.
The Sentinel has been put to work in PETERSDALE goods yard and is giving good service.
Now I'm thinking of my next addition to the PETERSDALE rolling stock roster.

DAPOL CLASS 121 'BUBBLE CAR'

The Hattons bargain bug has struck again.
I've been fancying a class 121 'bubble car' ever since it came out (BR Green with Speed Whiskers). I thought it would be a good addition to the rolling stock on PETERSDALE. An ideal branch line loco. I never saw one locally when I was spotting in the late 50s/early 60s.
It fell into the 'I'd like one of those but not at that price' category like the Heljan Clayton, BTH type 1, Metro-Vick. Class 05 shunter etc that have joined the PETERSDALE loco roster over the years
I did see one for £99 at an exhibition sometime last year but for some reason didn't buy one. D'oh.
Now Hattons have them at £105 so I'm seriously tempted this time.
I've only ever bought a few items of Dapol rolling stock and they were all secondhand back in my early days of modelling 30+ years ago. The only loco I bought was a J94.
I'm after a few opinions on Dapol models and the class 121 in particular if any of you guys have it or any other Dapol models.
I've looked at a few YouTube video reviews and other reviews on the internet and it seems to get a very good write up.
Thanks in advance Pete.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sun May 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Hi guys. I must admit I've neglected PETERSDALE for the last few months doing outside jobs in the sunshine. So I thought a good maintenance session then a running session was long overdue. Here's a few pictures with the Dapol Bubble Car and the Stanier 8F making their debuts on the layout.

It's a sunny day in the Dale and the station is a hive of activity (Part 1)

01.JPG
WD 8F 90441 is the solitary occupant of the shed yard after bringing some empties down the branch for the colliery.

02.JPG
J94 No.4 waits in the passing loop for D5237 to depart with the morning local branch passenger train. 04 shunter 11217 shunts the first vans of the day into the goods shed.

03.JPG
J94 No.4 heads back over the canal bridge towards the colliery with an assortment of empty wagons.

04.JPG
A Ramblers Special 1 car DMU arrives in platform 1.

05.JPG
The 04 shunts a van into the bay platform for unloading.
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Sun May 19, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sun May 19, 2019 2:41 pm

It's a sunny day in the Dale and the station is a hive of activity (Part 2)

06.JPG
EE Type 1 D8134 hauls the morning pick up goods past the shed yard. The WD has been placed in the shed for some minor maintenance.

07.JPG
D8134 runs round it's train.

09.JPG
D8134 waits with it's train for the arrival of the local branch passenger service.

08.JPG
Later with both the local passenger and the pick up goods departed an Engineer's train headed by D5085 sits in platform 1. The Rambler's DMU has been put in the bay platform to await the arrival of it's passengers later in the day. 8F 48628 waits in the goods yard for some full 16T mineral wagons to come down from the colliery. Looks like the 04 is having 5 minutes rest at the cattle dock .

10.JPG
The J94 makes it's way slowly back down from the colliery with a short train of 'fulls'. Production at the pit must be down this week.
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Sun May 19, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sun May 19, 2019 2:49 pm

It's a sunny day in the Dale and the station is a hive of activity (Part 3)

11.JPG
At last the Rambler's Special is ready to leave with it's occupants tired but no doubt happy after a good day's walking in the Dale. The 8F waits for the Special to leave, but there's always time for another cuppa. Things didn't move so fast in the 50s/60s.

12.JPG
While the 8F waits with it's short train of 7 full wagons for the DMU to leave the 04 shunts another van into the goods shed for unloading.

Another 'hectic' day at PETERSDALE STATION draws to a close.

Last Sunday I went to Derby MRE in the Roundhouse. I was going to go on Saturday till I realised Derby were playing Leeds in the Championship play offs. I decided to give Saturday a miss as the football ground is at the back of the Roundhouse so the station would be rather busier than usual. It was another good show which seemed comfortable all day. I don't know if the attendance was down but there were no problems seeing any of the layouts. I came home empty handed thank god after recent expenditure on the Stanier 8F and Dapol Bubble Car melting a hole in my credit card. Now there's 2 consecutive MREs in June to look forward to. First is local at Kettering on the 8th/9th. This is a new venue for the East Anglian MRE that used to be held at Huntingdon. On the 14th to 16th is the Great Central Model Event. I think Steve from Grimy Times will be at the GCR so I may take another loco for him to weather.
My wife told me she's booked a week away for us (and the dog) at the end of September for my birthday. She's made another excellent chojce of a cottage very near Goathland and the NYMR and also TMC's shop. I think I'll be taking a couple of locos for them to weather for me. I can pick them up a couple of weeks later at the Great Electric Train show at Milton Keynes. Saves a packet on postage and also eliminates the chance of them getting lost in the post.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”