The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RailwayRobbo

Re: The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:33 am

Thanks for the comments guys. Much appreciated as usual.

"Thankfully I have 49 to choose from that I probably never paid more than £3 each for! (Second hand a few years back)
I could run a mega brake van special, except my current layout could only fit half of them! lol"

49 brake vans TImberSurf!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a bit of a messy number. Surely you're going to get one more and round it up to a nice 50. LOL.

Yes, prices are getting really scary. TMC have commissioned Bachmann to do a range of 21 ton steel mineral wagons for them which I'll probably be interested in. I wonder what price they'll sell for. It's going to be a long wait though as I think they are not due for release till early 2020.

Never thought about the kit building one Jim. The last Airfix/Dapol kit I built was the 2-6-0 (?) Mogul way back in my teens. I was always the railway kit builder and my brother did the aeroplanes. No wonder he went in the RAF after he left school. I can still remember the Spitfires, Lancasters and loads of others hanging from the bedroom ceiling.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:34 am

I might have too many! (So as to not clog your thread, I have explained the absurd numbers in my thread Lumsdonia)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:35 pm

Good afternoon gentlemen.
It's been a while since I posted but nothing in particular has happened on PETERSDALE. I think the station was extra busy because of the sunny weather so they had to put on extra rambler's/cyclist specials. I've got lots of things just waiting for the dark nights and cold weather.
Hope you've all been enjoying the summer sun. I've had a couple of trips out railway related. Had a week up in Northumberland near Kielder reservoir. My better half booked us into the old Railway Station at Falstone which used to be the Borders line. It was closed in 1956 I think. The station is much like it was when it closed. Pity they've built a couple of 'semi detached bungalows' in the space between the station building and the signal box.
Tomorrow we are off to Blue Anchor in Somerset for my birthday. The cottage we are staying in is 50 yards from the West Somerset Railway Station and this weekend is their Autumn Gala (Fri -Sun) so hoping for some sun. Wife recently decided that the lounge need a complete make over, redecoration, new sofas, carpets etc. We've got this storage footstool type thingy in which I was surprised to find the April 2006 issue of British Railway Modelling and the 'shows you how' booklet on constructing baseboards. I thought I'd have a quick flick through the BRM to see what was happening modelling wise 12 years ago before putting it in the box to donate to the local preservation society just down the road. Turns out Bachmann had just introduced 2 variations of the 04 Shunter both weathered and at price of £34. I remember buying the BR version and I think it was probably the first loco to run on PETERSDALE. I wonder what an equivalent model would be selling for now?

Happy Days.

041.JPG
11217 rounds the curve at what will be the exit from the fiddle yard towards the canal on PETERDALE which is at the very early stages of development. Probably with only the track laid.

img121.jpg
Hattons Advert announcing the NEW 04 Shunter. (Top left)

How times change. One thing that hasn't changed as far as Hattons is concerned is the postage they charge. It was £4 back in 2006 and still is.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Shhh. They may read this and put it up! :D

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:26 pm

What a Homeric journey to where you are now. Again, the point-to-point is a rare bird in the USA, and your track plan is most engaging. I am curious about the most recent photo of the shunting locomotive trailed by a coach and a brake van. I know precious little of British railway practices, is this a consist that would have existed, or what was on hand? Either way, it is rather fun.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Believe it or not Chops you've just answered a little question in my mind about how things were done and why when I looked at the picture.
For railways in Britain... Passenger trains need a brake coach with a handbrake. (DMU's and other similar trains have seperate failsafe devices and older ones have handbrakes). No passenger train formation can run without this in use in one form or another.
They are not allowed to run a train of passenger coaches without a handbrake on a passenger service. Now for preserved lines they may have purchased a coach and want to use it, but they dont have a brake coach. However, they are allowed if one has a brake van as this provides the handbrake instead.
Like a motorcar, the handbrake is only used (In normal use) on a passenger train when one is already stationary as the normal train braking does the rest. In the UK with freight we used to run unfitted rakes of wagons and vans which only had handbrakes which had to be applied manually from outside the vehicle. The only brakes on such train formations were on the locomotive itself so a brake van was employed at the rear so the guard could help the driver and slow down or stop the train. This was a very skilled profession and while working on the railway I heard many tales from older staff who were or used to be guards themselves. I did work engine and coaches on the railway but I never worked freight other then on a preserved railway and the brake van I tried didn't have the braking I expected to have and so it was a hairy experience! I was later told by an experienced guard that they did have lots of braking force when the brakes had heated up but one needed to be travelling at a good 40 mph to get this force.
Yes, in the past on branch line work there were often mixed trains to be seen where the passenger coach (Or coaches) would be first so trhewy could be connected to the locomotive brakes, and then braked freight followed by unbraked freight with a brake van up the rear. This formation did happen but later in years for safety reasons they did try to run passenger or freight only formations. There were also rules after past disasters where one wasn't allowed to run a mixed train where any petrochemical or chemical tankers were in the formation.
Now the question you confirmed for me was regarding the use of a brake van or a passenger brake van. With trains of GUV's (Which were general utility vehicles... In other words coaches that had no seats and were intended to carry goods of various kinds. Most could even carry cars, vans etc) they tended to have a passenger brake coach in the formation. Of course they did. They needed it not just fore the guards compartment (For the safety equipment etc) but for the handbrake it had.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:54 am

Chops wrote:What a Homeric journey to where you are now. Again, the point-to-point is a rare bird in the USA, and your track plan is most engaging. I am curious about the most recent photo of the shunting locomotive trailed by a coach and a brake van. I know precious little of British railway practices, is this a consist that would have existed, or what was on hand? Either way, it is rather fun.

Thanks for the comments Chops. As usual they are much appreciated.
As to your question about the formation of the train in the picture they were just the three pieces of rolling stock that were on the layout at the time. There is nothing significant about it.

RailwayRobbo (Pete)

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:25 am

Mountain wrote: There were also rules after past disasters where one wasn't allowed to run a mixed train where any petrochemical or chemical tankers were in the formation.

Explain this then - this photo was taken in 1984, and the practice stopped only with the introduction of the class 156s in 1989

https://goo.gl/images/HCWvqV

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:29 pm

Well after what's been a very acceptable summer by English standards it looks like the weather is returning to a climate more conducive to Railway Modelling. After a very nice birthday surprise long weekend at Blue Anchor on the West Somerset Railway at the end of September the wife announced that when we got home I was in for a bit of 'speed' decorating. The delivery date for the carpet was set and I had to have the lounge finished before then. I met the deadline with half a day to spare. Today I ventured into the layout shed and tidied all the decorating gear away for the time being. I fired up the heater to make sure I was okay for when the weather gets really cold and I disappear in there for a couple of hours. I did managed to visit the Great Electric Train Show at Milton Keynes during the decorating and bought one of TMC's Bolster wagons with a pipe load. I also got an email newsletter from Hornby magazine which was offering Diesel Brake Tenders for sale. Totally inappropriate for short branch line trains, it's more of a nostalgia purchase. In the early 60s if I'd earned a bit of extra pocket money sometimes we'd jump on the bus and spend the day trainspotting on the footbridge just outside of Chesterfield station instead of going to Worksop, Mansfield or Sheffield Victoria. There used to be endless freight trains, usually hauled by Type 4 Peaks with these things on the front and they've always stuck in my memory. I guess I'll have to get a green 'Peak' now. We used to get D1 to D10 in our books then get then all again and again and again. My favourite was D100 Sherwood Forester which was the local regiment for Notts and Derbys. It used to be the same at Retford with the Deltics. We'd get all 22 then start again. My favourite Deltic was D9002 The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, my Father's regiment in WW2. Both D100 (at Barrow Hill) and D9002 (at York NRM) have been preserved.
Here's a couple of pictures of the new additions to Petersdale rolling stock list.

IMG_3813.JPG
TMC Bolster wagon (weathered) with pipe load.

IMG_3824.JPG
Dapol BR green Diesel Brake Tender.
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:59 pm

I don't know what's in those two tankers but it looks to me that they wanted them well separated from the loco :D They would have needed a brake that's the one coach accounted for. (Brake vans may be scarce in some areas these days). The second coach makes me think that it's destination wasn't accessible to the loco, so two coaches were needed to increase the reach.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:37 am

Off on the annual pilgrimage to Warley tomorrow.
I know, but I just don't seem to be able to break the habit.
I've got 3 coaches to collect from TMC and a BR type 2 Sulzer and my Heljan shunter to collect from Grimy Times.
Pictures will be posted in due course.
I'll be leaving my Midland Compound, a BR 4MT standard tank and the newly acquired Brake Tender with TMC to be picked up at Peterborough in a fortnight's time.
Never mind the Christmas season, November/December is weathering season as far as I'm concerned.

Pete (RailywayRobbo)

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:32 pm

For another year I've missed Warley.
Probably a good way of sawing money, although it's really sad
when even Hatton's Sale didn't tempt me.

Ahh that wagon had me thinking "Pipe Dreams".........

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:41 pm

I went to Warley in 2006 and 2016, so not due to go for another 8 years! I also did not succumb to Hattons Sale o t Century until yesterday, when I simply could not miss out on a B.R. Blue DCC with TTS sound for just £64, having spotted it accidentally on YouTube :roll:
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:19 pm

Well another Warley come and gone.
Was it me or were there more smaller layouts this year?
It was quite comfortable in the morning then seemed to get busier after lunch.
Thought I was going to have a cheap day out but the Model Rail Sentinel was on 'Show Offer'
It lost out last year to the USA Tank because the tank was a NCB loco. Temptation got the better of me.
I also picked up some locos I'd had weathered by Grimey Times and some coaches I'd had weathered by TMC. Pictures below.

IMG_3838.JPG
The Sentinel about to do a few laps on the 'running in
track

IMG_3843.JPG
Heljan shunter with rather subtle weathering.

IMG_3858.JPG
BR Type 2 Sulzer. I think Steve at Grimey Times did a good job on this.

I think I may switch from TMC to Grimey Times for my weathering.
TMC and getting a bit expensive.
Steve did the Sulzer and the Heljan for a fiver more than TMC charges for one loco.
On the other hand TMC do a fantastic job.

Pete

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:34 pm

The weathering is spot on Pete, love the sulzer especially, I agree
with you on Grimy Times weathering, they are at the top of their game
and at good prices too.

Really like your Sentinal, that will look nice weathered, never seen a
clean one in any pictures I have seen of them, 'grubby and neglected'
right up my street :wink:

Jim.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”