The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TimberSurf

Re: The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:38 pm

Lovely pics and story as usual :mrgreen: , I do like green engines and the metrovic is a favourite of mine :P (unlike the US engine that I hate! :lol: )
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:23 pm

The USA tank is nice and grubby Pete, just how I like them. It's all looking
really good now with the weathered locos in charge.

As TimberSurf says, nice captions to the pictures.

I notice the Leyland FG coal lorry in the yard. I am trying to find the British Railways version
but they are nowhere to be found (apart from ebay at £16.00) err I don't think so, I'll keep
looking for a cheaper one.

Jim.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks for the comments guys.
Although I am essentially a steam man I'm not adverse to the green diesels of the 60s with Brush Type4s and English Electric Type3s taking over the coal hauling duties locally after the withdrawal of steam.
It's when everything went blue that I lost all interest in railways.
I must admit Timbersurf the USA Tank is a 'marmite' engine. You either love 'em or hate 'em.
I thought it was something a bit different from a J94 and the fact it had N.C.B. on the tanks swung it for me.
Will be using GrimeyTimes again for diesel weathering.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:08 am

Easter Monday at Petersdale 1964 (Yesterday's Running Session) Part 1.

There's no timetabled trains but the branch is expecting a lot of traffic with 2 specials booked and a shuttle special down the Colliery Branch working as well.
There's a Cyclist's Special from Derby and a Rambler's Special from Sheffield due up the branch in the morning. With the closure of the colliery looming ever nearer the management have decided to run a few trips up the Colliery Branch for the locals on what will probably be the last occasion a passenger train uses it.

01.JPG

Standard Tank 2-6-2 82005 brings the the Cyclist's Special over the Canal Bridge on it's way to the station.
The train consists of 2 very clean Suburban coaches and the Cycle Van.

02.JPG

82005 runs round it's train in order to detach the Cycle Van from the rear.
The station yard looks busy even though it's Easter Monday.

03.JPG

82005 shunts the Cycle Van into the bay platform for it to be unloaded.
The station shunter Jinty 0-6-0 47354 waits for it's next duty. The crew will be glad of the overtime next payday.

04.JPG

82005 stables it's train in the goods yard siding while in the bay platform Standard Tank 2-6-4 80079 waits with the Autocoach for it's next trip up the Colliery Branch.

05.JPG

Ivatt 2-6-0 43018 rounds the curve opposite the Engine Shed with the 3 coach Rambler's Special.
The shed yard has a mix of motive power. D8405 and D9535 waiting to haul the next day's 'full' coal trains. Ivatt 2-6-2 hides in the shed under repair and No.4 has been brought down from the Colliery to make use of the facilities for some running repairs.
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:22 am

Easter Monday at Petersdale 1964 (Yesterday's Running Session) Part 2.

06.JPG

43018 brings it's train past the Signal Box as it enters the station.

07.JPG

80079 takes the Autocoach on another trip up the Colliery Branch.

08.JPG

43018 has run round it's train and will set off back to the mainline station where it will be serviced and return for the Ramblers later in the day.

09.JPG

82005 shunts it's coaches into the bay platform to pick up the Cycle Van. Once everything is loaded it will set off back down the branch.

10.JPG

It must be the end of the shift as No.4 crosses the Canal Bridge as it makes it's way back to the colliery.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:20 pm

Some cracking pictures of the layout Pete, with all the
different movements of the Bank Holiday Specials. All
washed down with a great story to accompany them.

Jim.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:31 pm

Brilliant photos Peter, everything has bedded in to the landscape so well, it’s no wonder it’s a popular destination for tours.

Paul

manna

Postby manna » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:57 pm

G'Day Gents

Wonderful set of pictures, and for working on Easter Monday, the crews would get a Lieu day to. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:18 pm

Oh to have a mature layout!

Can I come and be the Fat controller, the next bank holiday?

Luverly shots as usual :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:33 am

A mature quality layout in just 2.1/2 years.
While I admire the quality it's been the short time to create
that has me most impressed !

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:23 am

As usual guys thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated.
I think most of us 'older' modellers have some nostalgia mixed in with our layouts, reproducing things of our childhood/youth.
I always think that a bit of narrative adds to the interest of the thread posts.

carnehan - I'm really pleased with the outcome of the layout. My main target from the outset was that it should be realistic rather than a prototype. A railway within the landscape. Still needs a few little finishing touches such as 80% of the population of Petersdale still need painting, including the Engine shed staff plus there's the question of signalling to be resolved.

Geoff T - Retirement is a wonderful thing (an added bonus is the wife works 4 days a week as well). I wonder just how many hours I've spent in the layout shed over the last 2 1/2 to 3 years. I've enjoyed every minute.

Timbersurf - Keep yourself available for the end of May Bank Holiday. The old Stationmaster at Petersdale, Mr Robinson has been talking to the Colliery Manager and I think they may be organising something just a little bit different for the end of May. Watch this space.

RailwayJim and Manna - Thanks again for your comments.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon May 14, 2018 2:44 pm

Made my annual pilgrimage to the Derby show at The Roundhouse yesterday.
I had to go on the Sunday as we didn't arrive back from a misty, cold week on the Mull of Kintyre till Saturday afternoon. The dog loved it, swimming in the sea every day.
As usual I took the train to the door so to speak.
Derby station looks like its having a revamp, the addition of another platform by the look of it.
Glad I went on the Sunday as it was very 'comfortable' after I arrived at lunchtime. The Roundhouse can be a bit claustrophobic with all the original ironwork and the numerous bookshelves of the College Library.
Again there was some nice layouts. There seemed to be more continental layouts this year particularly in the larger scale.
I've put myself under a 'no buying' embargo but it still didn't stop me looking.
I was browsing one of the larger stands with all the new Bachmann stuff neatly wrapped in cellophane. I couldn't find a new loco under £100. Birdcage coaches at £50+, brake vans at £27.50 etc. etc. etc. It's crazy but people were still leaving with bags of goodies. Its going to have to be something special for me to put my hand in my pocket again.
I'm currently trying to maximise my stock storage space and it's looking like I may have to down size at bit.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed May 30, 2018 1:17 pm

A TYPICAL WORKING DAY AT PETERSDALE (A few photographs) Part 1

IMG_3496.JPG

Down at the shed things are starting to move. The crews have had their last cuppa and are ready to go.
D5013 is stabled near the coaling stage waiting for the first 'full' coal wagons to take down the branch and on to the power station.
J94 68049 is on loan from the mainline shed due to the failure of Jinty 47266 which is hiding away in the shed receiving some attention from the fitters.
NCB J94 'Peter' awaits its first duty, collecting some empties since returning from the works with a full overhaul and a repaint.

IMG_3503.JPG

First train of the day is the empties needed at the colliery. Hauled by 3F 43474 it passes over the canal bridge while a narrowboat travels slowly along the water below.

IMG_3509.JPG

The empties arrive in the yard while 68049 does a bit of leisurely shunting.

IMG_3515.JPG

68049 removes the brake van and 'Peter' couples up to its train of empties.

IMG_3520.JPG

'Peter' sets off back down to the colliery. Whoever is in the narrowboat must have found something interesting as they are still moored up by the bridge. Feeding the swans perhaps.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed May 30, 2018 1:31 pm

A TYPICAL WORKING DAY AT PETERSDALE (A few photographs) Part 2

IMG_3525.JPG

An engineer's train pulls into the yard hauled by EE type 1 D8134.
It looks like they are doing some drainage work from the load on the wagons.
The weekly parcels train has also arrived and is unloading in the bay platform.

IMG_3535.JPG

The first passenger train of the day arrives in the main platform.
Green Standard Tank 80135 runs round it's coaches to get ready for it's early departure.
I think the crew of the engineers train are in the Shedmaster's office having a chat.

IMG_3543.JPG

'Peter' returns with a train load of 'fulls'.
The narrowboat is still moored up near the bridge. Maybe it's breakfast time.

IMG_3550.JPG

'Peter' brings the 'fulls into the run round loop. D5013 comes off shed and collects the wagons and it's brake van and is ready to depart.
D5013 shunts its train back into the main platform to release 'Peter' so it can get back to the colliery.
The engineers train is still in the yard.

IMG_3556.JPG

D5013 waits in the platform as 'Peter' makes the return trip to the colliery.
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Wed May 30, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed May 30, 2018 1:37 pm

Lovely scenery. I like that little green loco. :)
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”