The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RailwayRobbo

Re: The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:14 am

Hi Bufferstop.
A NCB loco all shiny and polished. I think not.
It'll be sent off to the weathering works and returned as much used and least maintained example of Coal Board motive power.
It's something a bit different and unusual.
I remember them from my spotting days but never saw one in BR service.
They were southern region engines if my memory serves me well, shunting Southampton Docks and various other places.
I saw the one on the Worth Valley many years ago.

Pete.

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 am

RailwayRobbo wrote:much used and least maintained example of Coal Board motive power.

That ticks the boxes for me Pete, I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:47 am

RailwayRobbo wrote:Hi Bufferstop.
A NCB loco all shiny and polished. I think not.

There was usually one somewhere, it was a sort of protest by the maintenance staff, "We know how it should be done, It's the B******* up there who won't let us do it." It was a fairly common reaction to the invasion of the bean counters.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:47 pm

There is a very different approach from a private industry to a national one as to how things were generally looked after. If the loco was in private hands, though it varies from one to the other somewhat, but for most, their locos would look clean and in some cases gleamingly clean, and the main dirt would have been from the day in use as it would havebeen washed at the end of the day for many private locos or machinery. (Not all, but many who took pride in what they owned as it was a big thing to own a loco).
National industries tended to be the opposite. The things were only ever cleaned in general prior to a public event or during a service. Machinery was to be used and abused and little thought was given by workers (Except the mechanics who would fix the things) to look after what they used. Also dur to shifts being run much longer with one shift taking over from the next, the chances to look after what they had and bring the item out of service to do so were not so great. Many private industries were on a smaller scale and so their work stopped at the end of the day and the last half hour to hour would be in cleaning and servicing what they had so it was ready for the next day. They had to look after what they had as they couldn't afford to buy more unlike a national industry which would run things to the ground and then either totally rebuild it like new, or buy a replacement.
The same thing took place on the railways in general under nationalisation in that while servicing was the best, in between services train cleaning seemed to be an afterthought compared to private companies whose company livery and image was far more of a concern. (Though to be fair, the companies in private hands that spend too much time in the upkeep of image can be found lacking in the more important things elsewhere like basic train maintenance!)
In B.R. days they had a strange concept, especially in the 1970's to the last days, in that trains in and out of London would be the newest examples or the most shined up, and yet go to Wales or Scotland and we had the cast offs from other regions of England including older liveries and problematic trains! Hence the best mechanics of all tended to be in Welsh and Scottish depots just to keep the old things on the rails. We had DMU doors held shut by baling twine. Four engined DMU' would limp in with the single engine working by the time they reached their destination of a local short distance service and sometimes needed a loco to pull them for the return trip... It was why when in Wales when BR introduced the 158 and supplied them new to depots in South Wales train crew thought they were dreaming! The first brand new locos since the early days of dieselization.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:38 pm

I do like that USA Tank .....
Wish I could justify buying one.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

manna

Postby manna » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:21 pm

G'Day Gents

I can remember, signing on early one morning a Leeds station and travelling out to Nevill Hill depot to pick up my train, (expecting a old first gen DMU) then wandering about the yard looking for it, only to find a brand new class 156 unit sitting there, with the plastic sheets still on the seats and carpeted floors and a nice 'new car' smell, Think I worked it to Hull and back, great trip.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:34 am

Dad-1 wrote:I do like that USA Tank .....
Wish I could justify buying one.

Geoff T.

I've been saving up my "Beer Money" Geoff.
They have come down in price, £125 to £100.
Seems all the latest releases are around the £100 mark, even Hattons Andrew Barclay 0-6-0s and DJ J94s.
The limited Model Rail Sentinel was £85. It fitted in the palm of my hand it was so small. Lovely loco though.

Pete

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:39 am

Today my Heljan DPU is on track cleaning duties.
Does the job a treat with the CMX Cleaner.

1.JPG
The platform at PETERSDALE Station.

2.JPG
In the Goods Shed.

3.JPG
In the Bay Platform.

4.JPG
Not forgetting the Loco Shed Yard.

5.JPG
Finally back down the Branch to the Main Line. (The Fiddle Yard actually).

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:45 pm

That's the way to do it Pete......

...... making track cleaning enjoyable!

(Nice parcels unit).

Jim.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:24 pm

I think I'm going to have to get myself one of those track cleaning jobbies, track cleaning really isn't enjoyable with a track rubber.

Nice pics too.

Paul

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:30 pm

railwayjim wrote:That's the way to do it Pete......

...... making track cleaning enjoyable!

(Nice parcels unit).

Jim.

Hi Jim.
Yes this bit of kit certainly makes track cleaning enjoyable and less time consuming.You can tell it's a quality item as well.
First time I ran it I couldn't believe how quick it took me to clean PETERSDALE, so I did it a second time. I'm using IPA, which seems a popular choice as the cleaning fluid at the moment.
It must be a godsend to have one of these if you've got a big layout.
Another bonus was finding that the Heljan DPU pulled/pushed it with ease. Saved me buying another English Electric Type 1 Bo-Bo (I refuse to call them class 20). I already had one and the majority of videos I saw with the CMX were double headed EE Type 1s or EE Type 3s.
I must admit the 'CMX SAGA' certainly rumbled on for a long time, nearly 2 years. They were always out of stock wherever I looked with no delivery expected. In the end I'd even forgotten I'd actually ordered it. When the price sky rocketed from £95 to £150 I decided it was too expensive. DCC Supplies even took them off their website for a while. Anyway out of the blue I get a phone call from the lady at DCC Supplies saying she's expecting a delivery am I still interested. Before I could say not at the current price she offered it to me for the price when I'd actually ordered it. A saving of £50 so I said yes. She must have sold her delivery as I've just had a look at the DCC Supplies website and they are 'Out of Stock' again and currently selling at £146. Now that is an expensive luxury for someone like me with a small layout.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

Jim, I had notification this week from Hattons that the new Hornby 8F was in stock and ready to buy at £123. It's going to have to wait until after Christmas I'm afraid. By the time I've had it weathered etc it'll be well over £150.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:48 pm

The 8f's were lovely locos Pete and powerful too, it will make
a nice addition to Petersdale. I run mine more than my Black 5's.

I look forward to seeing it 'weathered' all grimy and
workstained, just as I remember them.

Might just have to get myself a track cleaner like yours
as cleaning track is the only part of running the layout
I don't enjoy!!

Jim.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:22 am

I took Ivatt 2-6-0 46426 to the Warley show with me for TMC to give it a 'medium' weathering and cab crew.
Here's a few pictures of the finished loco.

IMG_3219.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3229.JPG

The coal in the tender looks a bit shiny and will need 'dulling' down.

The loco had a very interesting journey home thanks to the Royal Mail. It started off on Wednesday 29/11 at Whitby then went to the North East PSC which I presume would be somewhere in/near Newcastle.
Then for some reason it headed south to SWINDON Mail Centre, passing Northamptonshire on the way.
Next it headed back up the country to the South Midlands Mail Centre which is in? You guessed it Northampton.
It was forwarded from there to Wellingborough some 6 or 8 miles from me where it had a 2 day rest before delivery to my house on Tuesday 05/12.
Total time of journey 5 days. It was supposed to be a 'Tracked 48hr' parcel. Still can't figure out why it went to Swndon, but it did arrive safe and sound.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi guys.
HAPPY NEW YEAR.
I hope we all get some good modelling time in 2018.
The fat guy in the red suit has been and gone for another year. Just a couple of items of rolling stock in my stocking on Christmas morning.
A Bachmann Horse box and a Sand Hopper both weathered from TMC (where else?).
I must admit there's been a lack of activity in the layout shed over the last few months. I still have quite a few little finishing touches to do on the layout. I have some yard lamps for the loco shed area to erect, then there's the question of what to do about signals. Top of the list is that I still have 75% of the population of Petersdale and employees of the railway still in a plastic bag in need of painting, the Vicar is in there somewhere.
Just been pencilling in the exhibition dates for 2018 on my Bachmann calendar. I go to a few more than I thought I did. I'm going to give 'Alley Pally' a visit this year. It's been well over 10 years since my last and only visit.
Here's a picture of the new rolling stock below.
HAPPY MODELLING TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS FOR 2018.

IMG_3255.JPG

It was the first Christmas with our Grandson. He's only 6 months old so a bit young. He will of course be introduced to the magic of model railways when he's older.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi guys. I got a little motivated last week to do some work on the layout but my plans didn't quite come to fruition.
I'd got 5 lamps for the Loco Shed area and my first thoughts were go out of my comfort zone and wire them up and see if they work.
So with the holes drilled etc. I went under the baseboards to connect then up.
After a couple of minutes my old bones were telling me, "Mate we don't want to be here crawling about on this hard, cold concrete floor." So that was that. All good intentions thrown out the window. I just planted them in the yard and now they are non working lamps.
Went to my first exhibition of the year at Stafford on Sunday. The day didn't start well. I rolled up at Northampton station to find replacement buses to Rugby. It was no big deal and the coaches were a bit on the luxurious side anyway. Another problem I thought I had was the shuttle bus to the exhibition. I found out the day before they were only running one on the Sunday, every hour on the hour. Train due to arrive at Stafford 10.58 so I had 2 minutes to get to the bus stop outside for the 11.00 departure. Luckily I made it, didn't fancy waiting an hour for the next one in the cold or getting a taxi.
Very comfortable inside the exhibition. Very easy to move around and see all the layouts. A couple of things struck me. First was the absence of any continental layouts. The other thing was there were quite a few small (micro?) layouts being exhibited.
Another reason for going was that I took 4 members of the PETERSDALE Diesel fleet (pictured below) to be weathered by 'GrimeyTimes'. A couple of months ago there was a weathering supplement in BRM magazine sponsored by them advertising Diesel weathering at £20 a loco plus £7 for cab crew and parts packs fitted for free if you wanted them. I thought I'd give them a go and pick them up at Alexandra Palace next month. I'll post the after weathering pictures when I get them back

RailwayRobbo (Pete)

IMG_3307.JPG
Left to Right : Clayton Type 1, Metro-Vick Type 2, DPU and English Electric Type 1.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”