The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RailwayRobbo

Re: The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:25 pm

Thanks for the comments Mikem64 and Glencairn. Much appreciated.
The area at the back and side of the Engine shed was actually the first part of the scenery that I did on the layout. It must have been a few years ago.

Just booked my train tickets for Warley. I'm going on Sunday again this year as it was really comfortable last year when I went on Sunday for the first time.
The tickets cost me £3.30 each way with a Senior railcard. £6.60p return Northampton to Birmingham International. A couple of gallons of petrol costs more than that. Our railways certainly have a crazy pricing system.
I've no doubt a couple of locos (I've got to decide which) will be making the journey with me for TMC to weather. I'll pick them up at Peterborough a couple of weeks later.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:37 pm

The most annoying thing about the NEC is it takes me 25 minutes to get there by car at least 1hour 25minutes by train. I wonder what parking at Tile Hill or Canley is like?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:09 pm

Bufferstop wrote:The most annoying thing about the NEC is it takes me 25 minutes to get there by car at least 1hour 25minutes by train. I wonder what parking at Tile Hill or Canley is like?

If it's like our local stations Kettering and Wellingborough it'll cost an arm and a leg even on Sundays.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:31 am

Came across this old B&W photograph of a K1 2-6-0 62019 running light engine tender first through my childhood station at Whitwell, Derbyshire in the early 1960s.
The loco is probably heading back to the shed at Retford (36E) where it was allocated till it was scrapped in November 1964.

Of course the loco roster on PETERSDALE is largely based on the locos than ran through Whitwell on the Worksop to Mansfield line which was originally GCR and finally Eastern region BR.

Rails have a secondhand Hornby K1 for £90 (inc P&P) and Hattons price new is £130 (inc P&P). After getting the pre-owned 1F at The Great Electric Train Show from Rails I'm wondering if the K1 is worth a punt.

Any of you guys got one of these models? I'd like some opinions on it as I must admit I don't usually buy Hornby locos. Rails are at Warley in a few weeks time so I may give them a ring and ask them to bring it to the exhibition if they still have it so I can have a look.

K1 2-6-0 62019.jpg

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:41 pm

Not commented recently ........ But I always like to look in and admire the new weathered locos.
Look superb, and I love my full cab 1F and think it would carry some dirt well !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:39 am

Dad-1 wrote:Not commented recently ........ But I always like to look in and admire the new weathered locos.
Look superb, and I love my full cab 1F and think it would carry some dirt well !!

Geoff T.

Hi Geoff. Always nice to receive a comment from you.

As I've said in a past post 41708 was a local engine that worked at the Staveley works complex.
The Staveley Company were in coal mining, steel/iron production and later chemicals and concrete pipes as well.
In 1866 the Midland Railway signed an agreement with Staveley Works whereby they purchased and would operate the works internal private railway for 100 years.
I've had a closer look over my 1F and although the guy from Rails said it looked as though it had been 'lightly' weathered I'm taking it to the exhibition at the Motor Museum at Gaydon on Saturday and letting Steve from Grimy Times have it to make it look a bit more work stained.

Here's a couple of pictures of 41708 as preserved at Barrow Hill. One with a full cab, the second with the original half cab.

41708 (with full cab) in Barrow Hill Shed.jpg
41708 with full cab in Barrow Hill Shed

41708 in Barrow Hill Shed with a Jinty and Midland 4F in the bacground.jpg
41708 with half cab in Barrow Hill Shed with a Jinty and a Midland 4F for company

I just love this picture which must be from the 50s or early 60s. The young lad riding his bike wearing his cowboy hat. The works used to have public roads that went through it.

Midland 1F 41804 at Stavely Works.jpg
Sadly I couldn't find a decent pic of 41708 at the works so here's sister engine 41804

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:33 pm

Super photos, thanks for posting.
I like the way the old guy's eyes by the loco are following the kid on the bike.
I was also peering into the distance and trying to work out if the wagon to
the far left is a coke wagon with high rails ....or is it a building behind ?

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

manna

Postby manna » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:27 am

G'day Gents

I would say they were 'Coke' wagons, the 'X' could mean Internal user.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:58 am

Hi guys. Well it's that time of year again. No, not Christmas, WARLEY WEEKEND.
I'll be making my annual pilgrimage again on Sunday as usual. I wonder how many this will be I've attended on the trot?
It'll be the same routine. Senior Railcard assisted train from Northampton etc. etc. etc. Doesn't seem that long since last year's show. Do retirement years go quicker than when you're working?
I've the 1F and the 08 to pick up from Grimy Times. I decided to pass on the K1 from Rails as on closer inspection found out it had lost a buffer on the tender. I'm taking my Dapol Class 121 Railcar for a value weathering from TMC. They're also going to put some passengers and a couple of Drivers in as well. I'll pick it up at Peterborough in 2 weeks time.
The population of PETERSDALE are looking a little more human now with a bit of paint on them but not quite finished yet. A few more trees have grown on the lineside as well in recent times. Progress is being made.
I've also been doing a bit of research as well on my next project with the 2 boards I used for running my locos in. It's got the working title of 'Robinson Road Goods Depot' at the moment but could change in the future.
If any of you guys get to the NEC over the weekend enjoy your visit. I lost interest in The Great Model Railway Challenge at the early stages so I don't know who won (no spoilers please LOL). So that should be interesting to see.
Looks like there's a couple of hours in the Layout Shed for me this afternoon.

brammie

Postby brammie » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Some admirable scenes amongst your many photographs of Petersdale - thank you for showing them. You have also inspired me to get some of my locos off to TMC for basic weathering - my Christmas present to me!

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:12 pm

Another Warley Show come and gone over the weekend. My thoughts are in the General Model Railway Discussion / News thread if you are interested.

Of course one of my annual rituals at Warley is to collect any locos I'd dropped off for weathering at a previous exhibition, this time the Hornby one at the Motor Museum.

This time it was my Midland 1F and an 08 Shunter for Steve at Grimy Times to do the business on.

Here's the pictures of the finished locos as promised.

IMG_4321.JPG

IMG_4327.JPG

The 08 looks a little more work stained with the previous glossy finish having disappeared.
The 1F also looks more work stained and I'm particularly glad the cab tarpaulin isn't bright green anymore. The cab crew are also suitably mucky.
Steve charged me £40 to do both locos which I think is quite reasonable in comparison with TMC's value weathering at £22.50p.

I left my Dapol Bubble Car with TMC for a value weathering and some passengers and drivers. I'll pick that up at Peterborough in a couple of weeks time.

That's it then for the 2019 Exhibition season for me. 2020 starts with Stafford the first weekend in February weather permitting.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:37 pm

Dave wrote:I thought that I recognised that loco, but on inspection I have the right numbers but in the wrong order :lol:

07-12-13-03.jpg

Nice comparison between the real thing and the model there Dave.
Looks a bit warmer at PETERSDALE though.
Of course can't go without mentioning the reference to the 'old' Morecambe and Wise joke lol.

Pete

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:21 pm

Final reference to 41708 and Staveley Works. Promise.
I found this video on YouTube 'Staveley Works Locos'.
41708 appears at about 4 minutes in.
I love the way the guy who compiled it put the locos in chronological order starting with the lowest first.
Would love a RTR model of 0-4-0 47000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_e45VuGDbY

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:35 pm

Just got back from the Peterborough Show.
Got there just after 10 (opening time) to find no queue to get in which is unusual.
Once inside it was very quiet up until after 12. Very easy to get to see the layouts. I think this is the quietest exhibition I've been to.
What I did notice was that the trade stalls seem to be getting bigger and swamping the layouts. Rails had a large 4 sided stall with plenty of bargains on offer (pre-owned). It was advertised with 30+ Layouts and 100+ trade stalls and demonstrations.
I did get a couple more of the Warley Stock Boxes. No problem getting them home this time. They went straight in the car boot.
Unfortunately TMC failed me. They didn't bring my Dapol Bubble Car which I gave them at Warley. They are waiting for a delivery of 'Diesel Drivers' to finish the job. It's having a value weathering, Passengers and Drivers added. They are however going to send it back post free when it's done.
So no pictures I'm afraid.
Did anyone else go to the exhibition on Sunday. Any thoughts.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:09 pm

Well after TMC forgot to bring my 'Bubble Car' to the Peterborough show a few weeks back it's finally found it's way back home on Saturday.
I'm pleased with the results. The value weathering just takes the shine off the new pristine model to make it look 'work stained'. There's a few pictures below.
Not long before the big guy in the red and white suit visits. The wife is a bit worried about me as there's nothing railway related on the present list. I'd love a Bachmann breakdown crane but at over £250 I can't justify it. It looks like it's an amazing model.
I've got the mammoth task of transferring 150 items of rolling stock from their original boxes to the 5 stock boxes I recently bought. Should keep me quiet in the layout shed for an hour or two over the holidays. When it's done it should be a lot easier and quicker to get then out (and put away) for running sessions.
Here's the pictures of the 'Bubble Car'. There are passengers in there somewhere.

IMG_4357.JPG
The branch service stands in the bay platform ready to depart for the mainline station.

IMG_4362.JPG
The branch line service accelerates over the canal bridge as it heads for the mainline.

IMG_4374.JPG
The Bubble Car stands in Petersdale Goods Yard after arriving at the station.

I'D LIKE TO WISH ALL MY FELLOW MODELLERS ON THE FORUM A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY 2020.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”