The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RailwayRobbo

Re: The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sun May 26, 2019 1:56 pm

joshv8 wrote:Loving the photos. It looks like you had an enjoyable running session. I find the scenery for Petersdale so well thought out, especially liking the road servicing the far side of the station with the mound in between.

Hi Josh. Thanks for the comments.
With reference to the scenery on PETERSDALE after I'd done the track plan I did a sort of rough 'landscape/scenery' plan.
Roughly positioning the buildings then identify areas that would be fields or rough overgrown areas etc.
As far as actually building up those areas I just did it what I felt like doing adding or taking out trees/bushes etc till I got what I liked.

Pete

Chops

Postby Chops » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:59 pm

Astonishing imagery. I can almost smell the tang of coal smoke and grease.
Nessie rocks!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:32 pm

Excellent layout, Pete. The 8F looks ‘at home’.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:57 am

Well looks like summer is over. Pity as we are off to Goathland for a week tomorrow. It's my birthday present from my wife. I don't know if she does some research picking these places or it's coincidence. Last year it was Blue Anchor in Somerset and the West Somerset Railway Gala weekend. This year it's Goathland and the NYMR Gala weekend. Weather forecast not too good though. Of course also near Goathland is TMC so I'm taking a 'Crab' and a green Ivatt 2-6-0 to be weathered. The 'Crab' is getting a heavy weathering and the Ivatt will get what they call a 'value' weathering. We'll see how the Ivatt looks. I'll pick them up at The Great Electric Train Show at Milton Keynes in a couple of weeks. TMC seem to be advertising more these days and are currently having a sale with up to 50% off. I had a look and found a triple pack of NCB 16 ton mineral wagons with 'enhanced' weathering for £51 which at £17 a wagon I thought wasn't bad. Then I realised I'd already got that set, the price I paid £29.95. I think I'll give them a miss although when I get in the shop who knows what will happen LOL.
Petersdale has been neglected some what over the summer. I spent a couple of hours in the layout shed earlier in the week when the rain was pouring down having a good look over the layout. It definitely needs a bit of a spruce up. Having had a good look at it I definitely need to plant a few more trees to fill in some gaps and the population of Petersdale (including the Vicar) are still in grey primer waiting to be painted so I need to get that done sooner rather than later.
Well Goathland first. Hope it's dry not too bothered about it being hot and sunny. Then back to give Petersdale some attention.
It's also coming up to a busy time exhibition wise with The Great Electric Train Show at MK in October. Then there's a Hornby sponsored exhibition at The Motor Museum and Warley (yes I think I'll go on the Sunday. It's a day out LOL) in November finishing with Peterborough in December.
Grimy Times are at The motor Museum and Warley so a couple of diesels will get weathered. TMC are at Warley and Peterborough. Whether I have any more locos done depends on the cash flow situation.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:53 am

Lovely weathering on that 8F. Out of interest, what sort of prices do TMC charge for their weathering service?

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:45 am

Hi Brighton. I bought the 8F ready weathered from Grimy Times.
I've had quite a few locos weathered by TMC in the past. If you look back through the PETERSDALE thread there are pictures of them all.
TMC weathering starts off at £20 for what's called value weathering, then there's a light, medium and heavy weathering at £35 and finally a deluxe/custom weathering where they will do a loco to match a picture/photograph of an actually loco. I think that's £50.
I'm dropping 2 locos off at their shop while I'm up here on holiday. A green Ivatt will get a 'value' weathering to see what that looks like and a Crab is getting a heavy weathering. I'll post some pictures on this thread when I get them back in a couple of weeks time.
You should look at TMC's (The Model Centre) website to see what they've got. I'm dreading going to the shop on Monday as I know I'll be tempted to buy something I shouldn't. LOL.
I think TMC do a really good job with their weathering but they're a bit expensive. I stuck with them so all the locos I've had done are to the same standard.

Pete - RailwayRobbo

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:53 pm

Thanks Pete. Be interesting to see how the value weathering turns out..that's about my price limit :lol:

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi Brighton.
The locos were safely delivered to TMC last week when we were up at Goathland on holiday. I resisted the temptation to buy anything while I was in the shop thank god. The guy did show me 2 Ivatt 2-6-2s to show me the difference. They were the same Bachmann models. I think the vaue weathering is £22.50 not £20 as I said before. I'm collecting them next weekend from the Great Electric Train Show at Milton Keynes.
I'll post some pictures when I've got them back.
Grimy Times have done a few of my diesels for a very reasonable price. They did the type 2 Sulzer in the picture with the 8F. They've also done a few others including my Sentinal for which he only charged me £20 and a type 1 English Elecric Bo-Bo (class 20). If you go back through my PETERSDALE thread there are pictures of them. Steve from Grimy Times will be at the Hornby exhibition at the Motor Museum so I'll take him a couple of diesels and pick them up a few weeks later at Warley. That way it saves on postage and reduces the risk of the locos getting lost/damaged in the post.
Watch this space.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

Take a look at TMC's website. It gives a really good description of their weathering on there with steam, diesel and rolling stock examples. Put The Model Centre in google because if you just put TMC you get all sorts of rubbish come up.

BrightonMan wrote:Thanks Pete. Be interesting to see how the value weathering turns out..that's about my price limit :lol:

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:28 pm

I made it to the Great Electric Train Show on Sunday at Milton Keynes.
Another good exhibition with a good variety of layouts in various scales etc.
Pretty comfortable all afternoon with plenty of room to move about and see the layouts. I was there from 1.30 to 4.
There were quite a few large layouts that certainly wouldn't fit in my shed.
I collected my 2 locos from TMC that I took to their shop in Goathland while I was on holiday. (Pictures below).
The 'Value' weathering is something they've introduced recently. One of the guys told me it was a light weathering just using 2 colours and is cheaper than their other weathering at £22.50.
As you do when you're at an exhibition you have to have a passing glance at some of the traders. Rails and Hattons were in attendance.
It was on the Rails stand I saw it. Yes, temptation got the better of me.
The majority of Rails stock was 'previously owned' for some reason. Too much stock at the shop maybe.
I just skimmed across what was available but there at the back was a Midland 1F open cab 0-6-0.
I've already got 2 Jintys so I've always resisted getting one.
This one was 41708 and had some local relevance to the area I was brought up in.
It had been the yard shunter in Staveley Works which was about 5 miles form where I lived as a kid. It's also now preserved at Barrow Hill Engine Shed in Staveley, so it's not too far from where it last worked.
I gave it a quick glance and noted the price £69.50. I looked on Hattons website a little later to find that they were selling their last few for £99.95 so that swung it.
So I went back and bought it (pictures below) and found that it had been lightly weathered and had a cab crew as well. It's a nice smooth runner as well. Result.
I wondered what the green strip across the top of the cab was and then realised it must be a rolled up tarpaulin to protect the crew in wet weather. I think it needs a bit of weathering LOL.
I've just looked at some recent pictures of 41708 at Barrow Hill and it now has a full cab.

IMG_4257 - Copy.JPG
Crab 42789 2-6-0 TMC 'Heavy' weathered

IMG_4270.JPG
Ivatt 46521 2-6-0 TMC 'Value' weathered

IMG_4279.JPG
1F 41708 0-6-0

IMG_4283.JPG
1F 41708 0-6-0

IMG_4254.JPG
The trio stand in the goods yard at PETERSDALE

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:43 pm

A great idea from TMC offering the two different weathering options, and they both look good. Thanks for posting Robbo, I think TMC may be getting some business in the not to distant future.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:06 am

Thanks BrightonMan.
This link will give you all the information you need to know about TMC weathering.

https://www.themodelcentre.com/customisation

Pete

BrightonMan wrote:A great idea from TMC offering the two different weathering options, and they both look good. Thanks for posting Robbo, I think TMC may be getting some business in the not to distant future.

brammie

Postby brammie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:07 pm

Very interesting Robbo, and much food for thought. Think I might be about to get some of my locos weathered professionally …………

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:16 pm

The shed is busy today at PETERSDALE
46521, 42789 and D5237 await their next turn of duty.

IMG_4315.JPG
41708 lurks inside the shed out of view

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:55 am

I do love popping in looking at the photo's showing the time & detail you put in, very inspring.

Cheers Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:09 pm

Lovely scenery around the engine shed, Pete. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”