The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RailwayRobbo

Re: The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:02 pm

The latest addition to the PETERSDALE Loco roster.

IMG_2671.JPG
90441 waits to take on water
IMG_2671.JPG (244.6 KiB) Viewed 1305 times

Bachmann WD Austerity 2-8-0 No.90441
I'll blame the wife for this one.
Early July she said she fancied a weekend away. I thought mmmm last week in July, school's on holiday not much chance of booking anywhere.
Anyway she finds a place that's dog friendly about 15 miles from Goathland (NYMR). So she's books it.
My first thoughts are visit The Model Centre at Beck Hole (about a mile from Goathland) and take a couple of locos to be weathered then they could post them back to me.
In the mean time TMC have a sale and there it is 90441 marked down from £158 to £108.
I've always though they were too expensive but at the price I did succumb to temptation, as I knew I would in the end and ordered it with heavy weathering and a cab crew.
Their shop is amazing. A real Aladdin's Cave absolutely full of stock. It is quite isolated and I asked the guy who served me if they get many visitors. He said usually around 10 is the maximum on a summer Saturday but they do 99% of their business online.

The WD 8F 2-8-0 was more common than the Stanier 8F on the coal trains on the Mansfield - Worksop line delivering coal to the Trent Power Stations.
The local shed was Langwith Junction (41J) which usually had an allocation of around 20 WDs in the early 60s.

These were the last classes of locos allocated to 41J when it closed.

Sunday 2 May 1965
41J

O4 2-8-0 GCR 10
WD 2-8-0 WD 8
9F 2-10-0 BR 15

Other classes allocated to 41J from the mid 50s to the shed closing included J11 0-6-0, N5 0-6-2T, J94 0-6-0ST, J67 0-6-0T, O2 0-8-0 and B1 2-6-0.
41J never had an allocation of Stanier 8FS or 4F 0-6-0s. These were shedded at Staveley Barrow Hill.

Bachmann do an O4 2-8-0 so that could be another possibility for PETERSDALE.
Attachments
IMG_2682.JPG
IMG_2682.JPG (267.34 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beynac

Postby Beynac » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:13 pm

Another great steam loco. Thanks for all your pics. :D :D :D
I'm just a guy who wants to play with his toys. Image

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:35 pm

Well that's a real ........ dirty heap of S****
Which I suppose is Exactly what it should look like.
Love it !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:50 pm

Lovely looking loco there and looks perfect with its weathered face. I've often considered winging a few locos off to TMC as they seem to offer a top notch service for the money, this loco is tempting me further.

As for the shop, I visited it a couple of years ago. At first I thought I'd pulled up at the wrong place - down a windy road, up a lane and outside a robust shed. It proved to be the place and what a cave. Far to many temptations and the staff were more than helpful. I'd fully recommend being one of those 10 customers on a hot summers day to pay a visit.

Paul

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks guys for the comments.

Geoff T
Yes, that's the only state I ever recall seeing them in. They also had a distinctive 'clacking' sound. I don't think they were a particular favourite with the drivers.
When I ordered it and the guy asked me what level of weathering I wanted it was obviously going to have to be 'heavy'.

Carnehan
The shop really is isolated.
The wife was driving and she thought we were lost.
It was her that kept saying are we there yet?
Yes they've done a good job on all my locos that they've weathered.
I'm really happy with what they do so I thought I'd keep sending them there to get a sort of consistent finish. I think they've done 5 or 6 for me now.
I did also buy a Bachmann CovHop and 14 ton tank wagon as well. Both with 30% off.
I basically had to keep the wallet firmly in the pocket or the plastic would have been spinning big numbers.
I've noticed Hattons have a J11 on offer at £62 but I'm going to have to hold fire on that one.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Got some Kadee couplings from The Model Centre while I was up in North Yorkshire at the weekend when I picked up the WD 8F.
Simple fit on the Heljan Class 128 DPU and the same height as well.
Loco pulls and pushes the CMX Track Cleaner no problem.
Off to fill it with track cleaner and give it a test run.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Absolutely love the Austerity Pete and the weathering is a top notch job.

They have captured the run down condition perfectly. My kind of loco.

Jim.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Well nothing's happened on PETERSDALE over the summer (I use the term loosely) as I've been under orders from the missus to renovate the conservatory and generally do all the odd jobs on the exterior of the house. However at the end of September was a landmark birthday for me. The daughters got me a weathered Bachmann Crimson and Cream BR Auto Coach from TMC with a little guidance of course.
The DWP sent me a nice letter telling me they were going to give me some money every week. This was closely followed by a not so nice letter from HMRC telling me they were going to take some of that money off me. Swings and Roundabouts as they say.

IMG_3089.JPG
82005 arrives at Petersdale with the midday push pull service.

IMG_3093.JPG
82005 waits for some passengers for the return trip to the main line junction while 42267 waits for it's next turn.

IMG_3097.JPG
82005 heads back to the main line junction. Can't see many passengers on board.

Went to the Great Electric Train Show last Saturday. I resisted temptation and came back with absolutely nothing.
This weekend is Peterborough Show. I'll be taking the Bachmann J11 64325 (Heavy Weathering) and the green BR Standard Tank 82005 (Medium Weathering) to be weathered by TMC. I'll pick them up at the Warley Show next month.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Lovely auto-coach, it makes a nice short train for passenger workings.

I've noticed in these pictures Pete, just how well you've captured the neglected,
slightly run down sidings next to the station, looks really good. Great work.

Jim.

whynot

Postby whynot » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:16 pm

I rarely drop by here and no modelling for months......but I do love this layout. Just looks so "open" and spacious. If I could do anything a tenth as good I might even kick-start myself back into some activity! Thanks for the photos.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:00 am

Thanks for the comments guys. As always they are gratefully received.
Yes Jim, coupled to a small tank engine like the Standard 3 it looks good. 'Blood and Custard' was always my favourite coach livery back in my younger spotting days. I've decided to let TMC weather my maroon Auto Trailer and Inspection Coach as well.
Thanks whynot. It was one of my original intentions that PETERSDALE would be a railway in the landscape. I think building the scenic side of the layout has been the most enjoyable. You can take a more random approach to things like tree and shrub planting etc. You can also go back and add more if you feel the need later.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Just back from the Peterborough show.
Seemed to be less there this year as the hall seemed to be less populated with stands and there was a lot of room to move about. There where some good layouts which where easy to view. Not the usual scrum. Copenhagen Fields of course was very popular. 2 locos and 2 coaches given to TMC for weathering. I'll pick them up at Warley next month.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi guys.
I've been a bit quiet on here for a while.
Unfortunately some 'must do' outdoor jobs took priority over any kind of modelling while the better weather was around.
So now we are into the short, cold days it's back to the layout shed.
Last weekend was the Warley show. I seem to instinctively get an advanced ticket and £9.70p return rail ticket to Birmingham International every year. I went on the Sunday the same as last year and again it was quite comfortable to get round and see the layouts without having to engage in any type of rugby scrum.
I did have a few items of rolling stock to pick up that I'd had weathered by TMC. This year my daughters also let me get my own Christmas present so I also ordered a weathered Horse Box and a Covhop from TMC and picked those up as well. All I need to do now is get the money off my daughters.

I had the J11 0-6-0 and the BR 3MT Tank weathered. I also had cab crews put in my B1 and a 4F.
Here are a few pictures of the finished models. I don't think they are as 'heavily' weathered as some of the previous models I've had done but I'm more than satisfied with the finish on both.

IMG_3139.JPG
Both engines standing at PETERSDALE Station ready to go back down the Branch to the Main Line.

IMG_3144.JPG
J11 0-6-0 64325

IMG_3153.JPG
BR 3MT Tank 2-6-2 82005
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Unfortunately I let temptation get the better of me while at Warley.
It's my Christmas present to myself. That's what I told the wife anyway.
The colliery has a new loco on it's roster to cover any breakdowns to the J94s.
I'd resisted getting one of these Model Rail limited edition USA Tanks since they came out. I came close to buying one at Peterborough but they didn't have the 'NCB' liveried one.
Obviously not a Midland engine by any means but one with NCB on the tank is very acceptable. It's ex-works at the moment and driverless so it will go to the front of the weathering queue.
I must admit it's got a lot of detail on the body. It will need running in. I've just run it up and down when I took the pictures.
They also had a rather nice limited edition Sentinel in BR livery. It had me having to make a decision but the USA won in the end.

IMG_3158.JPG
0-6-0 USA Tank NCB No.36

IMG_3163.JPG
No.36 on shed.

IMG_3167.JPG
Some how the shed staff have managed to turn the loco without a turntable and it's ready to be delivered to Petersdale Colliery.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:16 pm

And a very nice present it is too! Nice to get an update from Petersdale. Will the new colliery loco be getting some weathering or will it be treated as the works "pet" and kept cleaned and polished?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”