The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RailwayRobbo

Re: The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon May 23, 2016 1:48 pm

PROFESSIONAL LOCO WEATHERING

Hi guys, didn't really know where to put this so I thought I'd just stick it on the end of my layout thread.

Now that PETERSDALE is at an advanced stage in it's construction (laughs quietly) my thoughts have turned to my rolling stock.
We can buy some excellently detailed RTR locos nowadays but if they're pristine they do stand out on the layout all shiny and new. I don't think that the majority of locos that worked the PETERSDALE BRANCH would have been ex works. Dirty stock adds realism to the layout.

So my questions are :-
1. Have any forum members had any locos professionally weathered?
2. Who did it for you?
3. Did you have anything extra done at the time such as renumbering, additional of loco crew etc?
4. Where you satisfied with the finished job?
5. How long did the job take before you got your loco back?
6. How much did it cost? (If you don't mind me asking)

I've run out of space for storing my stock so unless something special comes along in the future I need to find something else to spend my 'cigarette' money on (The reasoning I use with the wife to justify spending money on my layout etc. "I don't smoke so this is my fag money." Sometimes I substitute 'don't drink a lot' for smoke and 'beer' for fags.).

I've had a go at weathering some secondhand rolling stock with acceptable results (in my opinion) but there's a big difference between messing about with a £5 secondhand Tank Wagon and getting it right on a brand new £100 Locomotive.

So I thought if any of you guys had experience of these 'weathering professionals' and had opinions on their work and any recommendations I'd be grateful for any information.
I'm currently hanging my nose over the TMC advert. It would give me an excuse to take the wife up to North Yorkshire for a long weekend, have a visit to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and bring my locos back with me.

Thanks in advance Pete (Railway Robbo).

P.S. St. Peters Vicar is still waiting for his delivery of gravestones so he can finish the graveyard.
Attachments
103.JPG
An early attempt at weathering.
103.JPG (182.16 KiB) Viewed 1563 times

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon May 23, 2016 2:08 pm

RailwayRobbo wrote:P.S. St. Peters Vicar is still waiting for his delivery of gravestones so he can finish the graveyard.

And the expired to go under them? :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon May 23, 2016 6:09 pm

Hi Pete, I have just had a Jubilee weathered, you can find it on my recent layouts thread with pictures and details,
I will answer any other questions you may have, just ask away.
Jim.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi all.
Well progress has been a little slow on Petersdale just lately, but here's a few pictures of the little additions I've made.
The Vicar has been assured that there will be a delivery of gravestones sometime this week.

IMG_1004.JPG
The swans and ducks are about to be disturbed by the canal barge.
IMG_1004.JPG (227.3 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

IMG_1009.JPG
A J94 takes a short freight over the canal bridge towards Petersdale station. Where is the owner of the 2 dogs on the canal towpath?
IMG_1009.JPG (239.55 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

IMG_1011.JPG
The rear of the church has been given a covering of static grass. small trees and shrubs to create an unkempt appearance. There have been no burials in the churchyard at St Peter's for over 100 years.
IMG_1011.JPG (282.72 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

IMG_1017.JPG
The J94 hauls the short freight between the church and loco shed before it enters Petersdale Station.
IMG_1017.JPG (262.64 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

Hopefully the next update will feature a more or less fully populated churchyard and the Vicar will be a happy man.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:05 pm

Forgot this.

IMG_1027.JPG
One of the local dogs thinks that if it waters the lampost it will grow.
IMG_1027.JPG (259.16 KiB) Viewed 1466 times

IMG_1030.JPG
No, not got any bigger.
IMG_1030.JPG (221.55 KiB) Viewed 1466 times

I suppose it will keep trying.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:03 pm

The Vicar's going to be pleased, wherever he is. At last he's had a delivery of gravestones. So now the long deceased of Petersdale can RIP.
Off to the Great Central Model Event on Friday to see if I can find the Vicar on one of the trade stalls (plus some Parishioners and the owner of the 2 dogs on the canal towpath).

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:19 pm

The unkempt part of the graveyard looks brilliant! And that's the best use of the Schoolmaster and schoolboys I've seen, at what I imagine is some sort of local nature reserve poking about at frogspawn.. "YOU BOY!!" or catching newts? :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:31 pm

Made it to the Great Central Model Event on Friday. Wife drops me at Kettering station. Half an hour north and I'm at Loughborough. Ten minutes or so walk and I'm at GCR. All for about £13.00 return with the trusty Senior Railcard. It was a good show as usual (It's only the third one they've organised though) with around 70 layouts and the usual trade stalls. I'd go as far as saying it's my favourite show because although it is usually busy the massive layout marquees at Quorn and Woodhouse station are never packed. There were 3 trains running on the mainline. Locos included Whitherslack Hall, a Black 5, Ivatt 2-6-0, BR Type 2 Sulzer Diesel and a DMU. It also ended my hunt for the Vicar. He's a Dart Casting and he was accompanied on the train ride home by various other figures including Loco Shed Staff, a Postman, some cats and an Angler to name but a few. All they need now is painting. I've spent the rainy afternoon today in the Layout Shed weathering some 16 ton Steel Mineral Wagons with some liquid rust I got at the GCR show. You just paint it on and with it being water based if you don't like it, it just wipes off. They were Replica Railways wagons that I'd re wheeled and changed the couplings on. Price on the boxes? £3.45p. Those were the days. I'd already weathered them so I need to give them another light spray so that the rust looks like it's under the grime. I'll post a couple of pictures sometime this week.
At the moment I seem to be doing little bits and bobs of jobs. Weathering rolling stock, painting figures, finishing off the churchyard etc. etc. etc. Just getting the little detail right. It's not a good forecast for the next few days here in Northants so looks like the Vicar may get painted along with the Canal Boat Captain, numerous bits of junk for the Goods and Loco yards and maybe even more gravestones. "My layout's finished!" How many times have we heard that? There's always something to add to a layout.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:43 pm

16 Ton Mineral Wagons Weathered.
Looks like I need more practice.
The grime needs a bit more of a solid finish rather than the spray look its ended up with and the rust needs to be applied with a thinner brush.
Still I can always wash it off and start again.

IMG_1048.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG (218.11 KiB) Viewed 1330 times

IMG_1055.JPG
Spot the new one.
IMG_1055.JPG (232.1 KiB) Viewed 1330 times

IMG_1058.JPG
The J94 waits to take the coal done to the main line junction. (When its got a guards van)
IMG_1058.JPG (230.95 KiB) Viewed 1330 times

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:13 pm

Just had a read over this thread, what a wonderful layout, so much attention to detail. Looking forward to seeing more.

Regards
Scott
All Aboooooard !!

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Well I'm on my hols in lovely Scotland playing catch up with the forums. Just have to say I love the canal scene photo, I had to stop reading and just study the work, top marks.

Cheers Mike
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks for the comments guys (mikem64 & thebritfarmer) they are always appreciated.
The canal still needs a few essential additions such as an angler and those dogs need an owner to keep them under control.
I always think the little details take a layout to another level and can contain lots of interest.
I think a lot of modellers at exhibitions are looking more at the detail than the actual running of the trains.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:36 pm

Who needs to run trains .......
When constructing something like this it's all about scenery and infrastructure.
Many super little cameo sections and weathering stock helps to take away the toy
train look making the whole thing look believable.
Running trains is just a fancy topping !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:58 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Who needs to run trains .......
When constructing something like this it's all about scenery and infrastructure.
Many super little cameo sections and weathering stock helps to take away the toy
train look making the whole thing look believable.
Running trains is just a fancy topping !!

Geoff T.

Totally agree Geoff.
Being a practical, hands on person all my life it was the main priority to make the layout realistic but not a prototype.
Like you say it's the little detail that makes the interest.

Hold on. Got to go. The Ramblers special DMU is due in platform 2 at 3 o'clock. LOL.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:18 am

What a fantastic layout and built so quickly too! I love the canal scene.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”