The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RailwayRobbo

Re: The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:29 am

Hi guys. Well after about a month of involvement in non model railway activities I've managed to sneak back into the layout shed this week. The 'BIG' decision has been made and 'St Peters Church' (what else did you expect me to call it?) has been built in the parish of Petersdale. I'd left the church in it's temporary place and every time I went in the layout shed and saw it I grew to like it. The church was fixed in it's permanent position. The Lych Gate was lined up with the entrance porch and the stone wall in front of the church was finished off. Then I decided to do some research and walked the 200 yards to the town church. The name of the church ..................... St Peters of course LOL. It's bit goulish I know but I had a good look at the layout of the churchyard where the good and great who have served the town in the past have found their final resting place. The local church is a little like St Peters, Petersdale in the fact that it also has a smallish churchyard which is full of burials from the 1600s, 1700s and early 1800s. One guy really caught my interest. A splendidly named gentleman by the name of Marchant Blott (Marchant being his Christian name) surrounded by various members of his family. The reason he's interesting is that I live in the old part of town dating from the early 1700s and there's an area close to me called Blott's Gardens. So a bit of research into the man is required.
As you can see from the pictures attached I've also edged the sides of the paths in the churchyard. I'm thinking of 3 options of path finishes. 1 - Painting it a tarmac colour (dark grey) 2 - Using the Metcalfe card paving or 3 - laying some form of gravel (perhaps Woodland Senics fine brown or dark grey ballast). I think a bit of experimentation is required. Leaning towards the gravel option, then paint finish with the card paving my least liked option.
One things for certain I'm going to need more gravestones and a war memorial. Wife also says I should 'tone down' my cars and get some more which ordinary families would have. She thinks a vintage Jag and 2 E-Types are a bit 'flash' for a small mining community. LOL.

IMG_0833.JPG
I think St Peters needs a nice weather vane and a flag pole (possibly)
IMG_0833.JPG (254.92 KiB) Viewed 1742 times

IMG_0838.JPG
A bit more of an ariel view with path edgings at the front of the church in place.
IMG_0838.JPG (277.49 KiB) Viewed 1742 times

IMG_0840.JPG
The view up 'Church Hill'. Yes I finally decided on the name of the road.
IMG_0840.JPG (233.1 KiB) Viewed 1742 times

IMG_0846.JPG
Front Elevation
IMG_0846.JPG (220.64 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:55 am

Church Hill looks fine! If you are considering gravel for the paths in the churchyard use the very finest you can find or a suitably coloured sand. (good excuse for a trip to the seaside), you want the fine stuff that you get in sand dunes not the muddy stuff from down near the waterline. Even sandpaper given a coat of acrylic poster paint can look quite realistic. Although the verger won't thank you for doing it the odd spot of green flock "weed" on the path will bring it to life.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:01 am

I was going to say "Don't forget the moss", but Bufferstop has more or less beaten me to it. ? Bird's nest at top of tower perhaps ?

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:32 pm

I'd say go for sand on those paths, but living in my old
county of Northants you're a long way from the coast !!

My favourite gravel road & path sand comes from Rock in
Cornwall. A wind blown shell sand of just the right grain size.
I find the black sand from Sandown I.O.W also very good, but
difficult to collect unless following a bit of a storm where it
gets blown into thicker concentrations.

Anyway all looking very good.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:19 pm

Did a bit of experimentation with surface finishes for the church paths.

IMG_0869.JPG
Not a brilliant picture but it gives you an idea of the differences.
IMG_0869.JPG (144.5 KiB) Viewed 1682 times

The fine black cinders and dark grey paint are far too dark I think. The fine brown cinders looks good I think but totally inappropriate so I'm going with thee Metcalfe paving with random weeds growing in the gaps between the slabs. A trip to the seaside wasn't planned for the near future so the sand idea was a non starter I'm afraid guys but thanks for the idea. I'll weather the paving with artist's charcoal before adding the vegetation sparingly. Off to the local Model Railway Exhibition tomorrow in search of gravestones and other church related items. I think there's also the possibility of another research trip across to the real St. Peters for another look round.

Local Church related trivia.
I was looking at the local census for 1881 the other night and came across this strangely named vicar. A couple of houses up from where I live is a converted Methodist Chapel. When I moved here 15 years ago it was a small factory making double glazing. According to the 1881 census the vicar was called Reverend Armageddon James Margerum and he also had a 7 year old son by the same name. Very dramatic name for a member of the clergy.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:51 pm

The church looks really good now with its own grounds and gateway. My choice would also
be the paving too, although I do like the look of the fine brown cinders. It will be a real focal
point once the pathways, foliage and graves are installed.

As for the reverend 'what a name', brimstone and water stuff!!!

Jim.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:07 pm

Further progress has been made in St. Peters churchyard.

IMG_0892 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0892 - Copy.JPG (272.61 KiB) Viewed 1632 times

IMG_0901 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0901 - Copy.JPG (277.26 KiB) Viewed 1632 times

IMG_0917 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0917 - Copy.JPG (280.91 KiB) Viewed 1632 times

As can be seen paving has been laid and weathered to make it look used. Random patches of weed are growing in the gaps of the paving. The churchyard has a base layer of scatter.

Next will be random patches of rough vegetation along the base of the stone walling. The positioning of the gravestones and memorials etc. on the scatter base then the whole thing finished off with a layer of short static grass. The local model railway exhibition at the weekend failed to produce any church related paraphernalia so I'm still searching. Well it's raining today so I guess I'll have to go in the layout shed.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Fri May 06, 2016 9:31 am

Off to the Derby exhibition tomorrow in search of churchyard related items (and see the layouts of course).
It's being held in the refurbished roundhouse of the Old Derby Works which is now part of a college.
Was a very good show last year and of course it's literally the train straight to the door.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Fri May 06, 2016 4:34 pm

This really goes to show how good Metcalfe kits can look. I recently built a goods shed and I think the brickwork looks great. Perhaps ideally with a plasticard roof added. But the buildings on here look brilliant :) Great modelling:D

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Fri May 06, 2016 11:30 pm

Agreed, Chief +1

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sat May 07, 2016 11:07 pm

Hi there.
Have to say really enjoying following this charming layout. Just think it's overall appearance is great... Keep up the good work squire.
Jas... :D

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sun May 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Thanks for the comments guys (The Chief, Pointstaken and Tractor37). They are much appreciated.

I totally agree with you Chief. Way back when Petersdale version 1 was under construction back in the mid 80s I used a few Superquick kits (they don't seen to have changed at all over the years). For the current version I had some Prototype kits which must have been around 20 + years old I had kept hold of because they were nice examples of long gone structures. They soon got sidelined when I discover Metcalfe. The things I like about then is they are very realistic which was one of the criteria I had laid down for Petersdale. They are so easy to construct. I've constructed the station building and Station shelter, the Goods Shed, numerous workers cottages, single road engine shed, signal box (well it's nearly finished), numerous sheds etc and of course the church and they have all gone together without any problems. With Metcalfe kits you also get a really sturdy building when you've finished. As I said I wanted Petersdale to be realistic rather than a prototype after all it was my first real attempt at a layout. I also decided that I would see what kind of a layout I could produce using RTR rolling stock and off the shelf kits etc. Now the layout is coming together as a whole so to speak I'm even surprising myself of how good it looks.

Went to the exhibition at Derby yesterday. Another good mix of layouts for all types of modeller and the usual trade support. Sadly for me not a gravestone to be had for Petersdale but the 'Vicar' was quite happy when I returned with a War Memorial and a 'St Peters Church' notice board.

A very interesting development at the show was a guy offering a '3-D BodyScan' of yourself for £25. I presume you received a 3D printed model figure of the resulting scan of yourself in resin to your chosen scale. He even had the range of railway attire for you to wear while you were being scanned (uniform, grease top hat, firing shovel and red/green flags) so you could be Loco crew or Station staff. All you had to do was stand still for a few minutes.

Well the gravestone search will continue at the Great Central Model Event next month. As for the layout there's still plenty to do - finish off the signal box, build the cattle dock, build some signals etc. etc. etc.

"A model railway isn't just for Christmas, it's for life."

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon May 09, 2016 11:30 am

The Vicar's asked me to bring you up to date pictorially with progress at St. Peter's.

IMG_0966 - Copy.JPG
Wife's selection of vehicles more appropriate to what residents of Petersdale would own. (Very good choices in my opinion)
IMG_0966 - Copy.JPG (266.07 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

Red Vauxhall Wyvern.
Classic green Morris Minor Traveller (no 50s/60s layout should be without one of these iconic cars).
Black Ford Popular with windscreen sun visor.
Grey Mark 1 Land Rover (Agricultural Engineer from Stockport, so he's not too far from home in Petersdale).

IMG_0971 - Copy.JPG
Current progress at St.Peters No.1
IMG_0971 - Copy.JPG (246.12 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

A bit of weathering and vegetation has been added to the Church. The start of 'populating the graveyard as begun. The war memorial can be seen complete with wreath at the end of the path.

IMG_0974 - Copy.JPG
Current progress at St.Peters No.2
IMG_0974 - Copy.JPG (242.24 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

The small area at the rear of the Church is fully 'populated and now awaits a covering of static grass.

IMG_0993 - Copy.JPG
Welcome.
IMG_0993 - Copy.JPG (205.64 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

The notice board tells you where exactly you are.

Only recently realised that I do not actually have a Vicar for the Church. I'd better put him on top of my People Figures wanted list.
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Mon May 09, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon May 09, 2016 12:30 pm

RailwayRobbo wrote:Only recently realised that I do not actually have a Vicar for the Church. I'd better put him on top of my People Figures wanted list.

Don't forget the church cat! :D
The church is really starting to bed in nicely into it's surroundings.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon May 09, 2016 1:08 pm

End2end wrote:
RailwayRobbo wrote:Only recently realised that I do not actually have a Vicar for the Church. I'd better put him on top of my People Figures wanted list.

Don't forget the church cat! :D
The church is really starting to bed in nicely into it's surroundings.
Thanks
End2end

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.
I'm not going to go for the wedding scene. I think it's been done way too many times. Just a few casual figures around the churchyard. A little scene with the Vicar chatting to a couple of his parishioners. I'm searching for a weather vane for the church tower along with a flag pole maybe. Church cat also on the list.
It looks like I'll have to wander down the road and have another look at the detail on the real St. Peters.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”