Shawhurst - SR/WR OO gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Fratton71D

Re: Shawhurst - SR/WR OO gauge layout

Postby Fratton71D » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:25 pm

End2end wrote:
Fratton71D wrote:Just to set the scene of that I’m looking to recreate, here is a photo I took of Q class 30543 in Fratton shed yard 20 July 1963.

My future birthday :lol:
Coming on in leaps and bounds Fratton. :)
Can I ask, where/who makes those retaining walls? And do they come coloured as you ahve them or did you paint them before positioning on your layout?
Thanks
End2end

The retaining walls are Bachmann 44-225 bonded with UHU glue to 12mm x 4mm strip wood in 1 meter lengths from B&Q, cut as required. The wall along the length of the layout is in three parts, from left to right five sections of wall, four sections of wall (up to the baseboard break) and four and a half sections. Once the strips of wall have set firm I bonded two strips of the same size wood along the backs of the wall and finally bonded 2mm thick Plastikard sheet on the back to enable a 4mm gap to later add the greenery.

The walls were placed into position and ‘L’ shaped plastic strip glued in front of the walls so I can add ballast up to these and allow removal of the walls should I need to move the layout in the future. The wall in front of the fiddle yard id mounted on 25mm x mm strip wood and screwed to the baseboard.

The 44-225 walls do need some fettling in order to fit together and in some areas I’ve used Pollyfiller to fill any gaps or mismatches and then painted this to match the wall colours.

Regarding painting, the walls come painted, however I placed them in position prior the spraying the track with RailMatch 1406 sleeper grime thus some spray mist weathered the lower half of the walls. The wall alongside the loco depot has had an application of Humbrol Black wash enamel gradually reducing in height as the wall nears the exit of the loco depot.

Fiddle yard wall
Attachments
P1010560 ret wall station end nrm.jpg
P1010561 ret wall fiddle yard nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whynot

Postby whynot » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:54 pm

Thanks for the clear and comprehensive description - result well worth the effort.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

manna

Postby manna » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:50 pm

G'day Gents

Excellent looking layout, it's great to recreate what you can remember.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Fratton71D

Postby Fratton71D » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:52 pm

Station platforms now completed. Since the attached photographs were taken the visible platform joins were filled in and painted today. The signal box has now been moved to sit between the two branch lines leading into the station and the short siding in the yard has been extended along where the signal box was originally sited. Next up is to glue 1/16 inch cork sheet alongside and between the track’s in the station prior to ballasting. With just a thin layer of ballast over the cork it reduces the amount of ballast I need to use and also acts as base for ground shunting signals and other track side items etc.
Attachments
Shawhurst-011 station construction PB nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-011a station construction PB nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-011b station construction PB nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fratton71D

Postby Fratton71D » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:27 pm

Two photos of my track ballasting progress so far.

I’ve not been able to spend much time working on my layout recently, however this week I’m spending a few days making up for lost time. For the running lines I have used a mix of Peco PS-315 fine brown weathered ballast (the entire packet), 10% PS-305 fine grey weathered ballast and some Humbrol dark earth weathering powder added to the mix. Five small spoonfulls of this mix, mixed with one spoonful Ballast Magic powder adhesive is carefully applied with a small spoon and positioned with small and medium flat modelling paint brushes and then sprayed with water. You can see in both photos where I’m still adding the ballast in preparation for spraying. In the sidings I’ll be using grey ballast and once all the ballast is in place additional weathering and areas where locos stop in the station area etc. will be blackened with matt black and black wash.
Attachments
Shawhurst-012 ballast-station PB nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-012a ballast-station PB nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:13 pm

More than enough ballasting there to keep you busy for weeks.
I'd be curious as to how you find the added dry ballast glue ?
I've always used PVA/Water, but try to keep in touch with other
developments.

Nice looking project as well !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Fratton71D

Postby Fratton71D » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:47 pm

Dad-1 wrote:More than enough ballasting there to keep you busy for weeks.
I'd be curious as to how you find the added dry ballast glue ?
I've always used PVA/Water, but try to keep in touch with other
developments.

Nice looking project as well !!

Geoff T.

Geoff,

The Ballast Magic powder adhesive works really well and is very clean and easy to use. After some experimenting with the mix, I find that 1 part dry powder adhesive to 5 parts ballast (or scenic scatter etc.) gives the best result. Once you've sprayed the ballast/adhesive mix in position you can easily make adjustments. It will be dry in about 2 hours but I leave it for a few hours before a light vacuum cleaner pass over the track just to pick up the odd loose piece of ballast. Most times there aren't any and really it's just a precaution I do.

Fratton71D

Postby Fratton71D » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:42 pm

Two more photos of my track ballasting progress. Both running lines to the fiddle yard are now ballasted. My next task is to complete the cork sheet inlay and then ballast the sidings with ash ballast and as require a thin layer of ash ballast to the top of the cork sheeting followed by weathering/painting to blend in with the running line track and loco depot. The two small unballasted areas are for signal post bases.

I have made some small changes to Shawhurst’s track plan. I’m not decided whether or not to have a goods shed. My current favourite option is to have fictitious goods facilities and a rail fed military establishment down the branch line (the inner running line) and using the yard sidings shunt incoming goods trains from the main line (outer running line) into goods trains for the branch line.

The location of Shawhurst is somewhere in mid-Hampshire so I can run passenger trains to numerous locations and also to enable any type of loco to run on a running in train from Eastleigh works.
Attachments
Shawhurst-013 ballast-station PB nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-013a ballast-station PB nrm.jpg
Shawhurst track plan-1a nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:03 pm

A truly imaginative use of cork.
I see no advantage of using as a track underlay, it won't deaden sound if ballasted down to the board, it gives depth
for a shoulder on ballast, but usually a little too much. Yet here you've used as an infill to hide the commercial track's
sleeper depth & to allow a yard to be raised slightly. In fact an answer to a 'problem' that's been running around my mind
for years !!

How many more novel ideas do you have to come ? Must watch carefully to see what unfolds.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Fratton71D

Postby Fratton71D » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:47 pm

Since Christmas the station and running lines track ballasting has been completed along with completing the laying of cork inlay between the yard and siding track. Next up is make and place yard point operating levers and boarding and then to ballast the sidings, and where applicable the cork inlay with C&L finescale ash ballast followed by painting with suitable colourings. This is when I’ve made my mind up what these will be. I have a short separate test base board with track laid for this purpose.

Slow but sure progress. However once the above is completed and not having any scenery as such to work on it will be down to building the station and adding the usual railway infrastructure such as signals, fencing, sundry huts and general clutter etc, etc.
Attachments
shawhurst-014b cork inlay nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-014a cork inlay nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-014 cork inlay nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:25 am

That is a really nice layout coming together there, like the scissors crossing, not something that is regularly modelled. Will keep an eye on this thread as it develops.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:26 am

Really enjoying your thread showing progress on your layout 'Shawhurst'.
Another good example of what can be achieved in a relatively small area.
I like the way you've used the retaining walls as part of the back scene. Very effective.
Although born and brought up deep in Midland Railway territory I've always had a passing interest in the Southern region.
I think it's because they didn't go with the standard structures like the Midland did. The modern designs of things like Signal Boxes and Station buildings looked very interesting.
The green livery of the coaching stock always looked very smart to me as well.
Sadly never got anywhere near the Southern Region in my spotting days (59 to 68) which was a shame.
Looking forward to future updates with interest.
Pete

PETERSDALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48988&start=75

Fratton71D

Postby Fratton71D » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:42 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:That is a really nice layout coming together there, like the scissors crossing, not something that is regularly modelled. Will keep an eye on this thread as it develops.

Jim

My original layout plan, which I had arrived at after many iteration’s didn’t include the scissor crossing. See attachment below.

After looking at this for a period of time I thought It would be operationally better if a could get directly from platform 3 to the carriage/goods yard sidings. So I played around with the plan on SCARM and came up with the current track plan (see previous posts) to include a scissor crossing which I feel provides a more realistic and operationally more interesting layout.

Tony
Attachments
Shawhurst track plan-original nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fratton71D

Postby Fratton71D » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:58 pm

RailwayRobbo wrote:Really enjoying your thread showing progress on your layout 'Shawhurst'.
Another good example of what can be achieved in a relatively small area.
I like the way you've used the retaining walls as part of the back scene. Very effective.
Although born and brought up deep in Midland Railway territory I've always had a passing interest in the Southern region.
I think it's because they didn't go with the standard structures like the Midland did. The modern designs of things like Signal Boxes and Station buildings looked very interesting.
The green livery of the coaching stock always looked very smart to me as well.
Sadly never got anywhere near the Southern Region in my spotting days (59 to 68) which was a shame.
Looking forward to future updates with interest.
Pete

PETERSDALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48988&start=75

Having planned the track layout from the start to intentionally to model a station with a single track main line and a branch line, I didn’t leave any depth at the back or the sides and between the fiddle yard and the yard sidings for any scenery or buildings. The plan was to use a retaining wall (Bachmann 44-225) in order to fit in the track layout in the space I have available. Until moving to the East Midlands near on 20 years ago, I lived on the south coast in the Havant (many years watching Terriers on the Hayling branch) and Portsmouth area. I was used to seeing the retaining walls between Fratton station and Portsmouth Town station. So the retaining walls are also a step back to my younger train spotting days at Fratton in the late 50’s to late 60’s. The sidings at ninety degrees to the station are a reminder to me of the goods yard at Winchester with its B4 shunting loco. Now I’m waiting for Hattons B4 tank locos to appear, hopeful in the not too distant future!

Tony

Fratton71D

Postby Fratton71D » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:55 pm

New Hornby station buildings arrived last week and placed in approximate positions. The main building will be raised up to match the platform height with a access road in front. The awning will be cut back to clear the siding track and both buildings repainted BR SR colours and more details added. Both will be linked with a platform mounted awning.

Yard sidings point levers and boarding now assembled and bonded in position.
Attachments
Shawhurst-016 new station buildings nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-015a point levers in place nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-015 point lever and boarding nmr.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”