Shawhurst - SR/WR OO gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Fratton71D

Shawhurst - SR/WR OO gauge layout

Post by Fratton71D »

Hi Everyone,

Following retirement towards the end of 2014 and after a break of some 45 years since my last efforts I started to build a SR/WR 1950’s-1960’s period OO gauge model railway. I always intended to do this upon retirement and since 2002 I have been collecting many locos, coaches and wagons in anticipation of having the space for a good size layout. However the room I now have for my layout is small and allows me space for an L shape layout 7’ 5” x 6’6” x 21” wide, and in order to give much operational interest, scenery was out and track was in!

After many iterations with SCARM I finally arrived at the track layout shown below, which has a main branch line with 3 tracks in the fiddle yard and another branch line departing from the station with 2 tracks in the fiddle yard. Along with the loco depot, a small goods yard and the sidings in front of the fiddle yard I have scope for interesting train and loco movements.

As I have many pre DCC locos plus a Hornby HM 2000 twin track controller purchased in 2005 I have settled for DC analogue control. I also have a recently purchased Gaugemaster Model D twin track controller. The Hornby controller operates the two running lines into the 4 track station and the Gaugemaster the loco depot and the goods yard, carriage/head shunt sidings and the connecting lines into the station.

Track is Peco code 75 with a mix of large radius and medium radius points for the running lines and small radius for the loco depot and sidings etc. points are electrofrog mostly operated by Peco solenoids.
Attachments
Shawhurst track plan orig nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-a1 Station area nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-a3 View from station end nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-a2 Station approach nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-a5 Fiddle Yard on left nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skyblue

Re: Shawhurst - SR/WR OO gauge layout

Post by skyblue »

Welcome to the forum. This is looking promising - the plan looks to have plenty of operational interest and despite what you say about putting a lot of track in I think it looks like there is good scope for scenery. It looks like your doing a thorough job with the build too. I look forward to further updates.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Hi and welcome to the forum Fratton71D :)
:shock: VERY impressive retaining wall. I don't think I've ever seen one so long!!
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

After painting the track with RailMatch sleeper grim acrylic and then adding greenery to the top of the retaining walls I thought It was time to get some rolling stock out.

My next task is to work on the loco depot.
Attachments
Shawhurst-003 view of station end nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-002a view across signal box nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-004 loco depot nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-005a closer view of sidings from end nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-005b eye level view of sidings from mpd end nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

Initial work on my loco depot. Weathered Bachmann engine shed and office. Still to add point levers, coaling stage, water crane and more detail.
Attachments
P1010504 nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

The depot area looks good - I especially like the piles of ash next to the T9.
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

skyblue wrote:The depot area looks good - I especially like the piles of ash next to the T9.
I used a blob of UHU glue well covered with a mix of Peco PS-364 ash dust (90%) and Peco PS-362 coal dust (10%) then gently with a finger push to the shape required, sprinkle with more of the mix and leave to harden and set.
whynot

Post by whynot »

I like this very much - it somehow does not "look" as crowded as the plan suggested and the excellent retaining wall is a feature in itself. Thanks for the photos.
bsa77

Post by bsa77 »

Every now and then I see something on here that gets me back out and tinkering with my layout! Really good start, looks great!
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

More detailing completed on Shawhurst’s MPD, pictures below. The coaling stage is the Hornby manual coaling stage with a roof added and suitably blackened! I’ve still to add some yard lights, more coal scatter and a few more sundry bits and pieces. The final picture below is T9 30313 with a 3 coach maunsell set standing on what will become the main station platform line. The platform will take a 4 coach train although the normal length will be 2 or 3 coach trains
Attachments
Shawhurst-008 MPD-001 PB nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-008 MPD-002 PB nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-008 MPD-004 PB nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-009 30313 in station area PB nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

Just arrived today from Kernow Model Rail O2 30182. It looks really good!

When I’m fully up and running Shawhurst’s sub-shed will have an allocation of an O2 and two Terriers for local duties.
Attachments
Shawhurst-008 MPD-006 PB nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-008 MPD-008 PB nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
35011 GSN

Post by 35011 GSN »

Stunning layout!

That O2 looks right at home! I'm quite jealous.
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

Slow but sure progress with the station platforms. Once the tarmac platforms are in place the visible joins will be blended in and the platforms and faces suitably weathered.

Arrived today in the post, Kernow O2 30225

Looking back through my notes I saw 30225 back in the summer of 1962 in steam working in Northam yard Southampton..The same year I also noted 30316 in steam at Eastleigh. So all these years later it’s nice to see them together in model form.
Attachments
Shawhurst-010 station construction PB nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-008 MPD-009 PB nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Fratton71D wrote:Just to set the scene of that I’m looking to recreate, here is a photo I took of Q class 30543 in Fratton shed yard 20 July 1963.
My future birthday :lol:
Coming on in leaps and bounds Fratton. :)
Can I ask, where/who makes those retaining walls? And do they come coloured as you ahve them or did you paint them before positioning on your layout?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
whynot

Post by whynot »

It just gets better! I also wondered about the walls. The station should be something special. Thanks for the photos.