Shawhurst - SR/WR OO gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Coopslner

Re: Shawhurst - SR/WR OO gauge layout

Postby Coopslner » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:34 pm

How is the loco coming along from Aardstorm Models?

Coops
Derby Friargate GN

Fratton71D

Postby Fratton71D » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Coopslner wrote:How is the loco coming along from Aardstorm Models?

Coops

Photo's of completed G6 have arrived and delivery of the G6 will now be first week of January when I will post photo's of the G6 at Shawhurst.
Attachments
Wills 30258-001-nrm.jpg

Fratton71D

Postby Fratton71D » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:55 pm

I added the last short platform to the carriage sidings back in early November. See attached photo along with one of the Wills G6 next to the coaling stage. I had planned to build some Ratio signal kits, however I've been spending much time scanning mid 1960's photo prints and collating the relevant information for articles in future editions of The Southern Way publication, so the signals have been put back for a while.
Attachments
Shawhurst-222 P1020119 ps-1 nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-221 P1020114 mst PS nrm.jpg

Fratton71D

Postby Fratton71D » Wed May 30, 2018 3:00 pm

After spending most of my spare time during the recent months scanning negatives, I have finally made the time to fix an annoying issue concerning the longest siding in Shawhurst’s fiddle yard. When running a 2-6-0 or 4-4-0 loco with a Hornby 3 coach Maunsell set, the end of the rear carriage slightly fouled the point to the adjacent siding and was a real pain. This was down to a slight miscalculation on the length of the Peco buffer stops when planning and building the layout. I had worked out how to overcome this and I recently fixed the issue by removing the Peco buffer stops and increased the usable length of all fiddle yard sidings by 50mm by making my own buffer stop. See before and after photos attached. At the same time out came the soldering iron and I replaced the manual isolation switches on the fiddle yard sidings with Peco on/off switches which has made operating Shawhurst much easier.

For anyone that’s interested. I’m scanning negatives of my photographs taken between 1962-67 and mostly recording the end of steam on the Southern Region. So far I have scanned just over 400 35mm negatives using a Canon scanner which will scan between 1 to 12 negatives at a time, each negative taking 8-10 minutes for a high definition scan and then 10 to 30 minutes to Photoshop removing scratches and blemishes etc and then adjusting sharpness, contrast and brightness. In all a very time consuming but interesting task.

Initially eighteen photographs taken in Eastleigh MPD, along with three pages of observation notes from the day have been published in ‘The Southern Way Issue 42’ under the title ‘Observations at Eastleigh, 19 March 1966’. I still have around 250-300 negatives to do and once completed I will at long last start working on signals for Shawhurst.
Attachments
Shawhurst-224 P1010416 nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-223 P1020144 nrm.jpg

Fratton71D

Postby Fratton71D » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:32 pm

Shawhurst MPD on a Sunday in June 1958 where B4 30089 has recently arrived light from Eastleigh to work the coming week as Shawhurst’s station and carriage sidings pilot. Meanwhile B4 30096 has been prepared for its return journey to Eastleigh for its weekly boiler washout. Re-creating the regular weekend procedure at Winchester in the days of steam. Back in 1958 both B4’s were allocated to Eastleigh.

The Dapol B4 is a really good model and has been well worth waiting for.
Attachments
Shawhurst-225 P1020162-ps1 nrm asf.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:38 pm

Fratton71D wrote:After spending most of my spare time during the recent months scanning negatives, I have finally made the time to fix an annoying issue concerning the longest siding in Shawhurst’s fiddle yard. When running a 2-6-0 or 4-4-0 loco with a Hornby 3 coach Maunsell set, the end of the rear carriage slightly fouled the point to the adjacent siding and was a real pain. This was down to a slight miscalculation on the length of the Peco buffer stops when planning and building the layout. I had worked out how to overcome this and I recently fixed the issue by removing the Peco buffer stops and increased the usable length of all fiddle yard sidings by 50mm by making my own buffer stop. See before and after photos attached. At the same time out came the soldering iron and I replaced the manual isolation switches on the fiddle yard sidings with Peco on/off switches which has made operating Shawhurst much easier.

For anyone that’s interested. I’m scanning negatives of my photographs taken between 1962-67 and mostly recording the end of steam on the Southern Region. So far I have scanned just over 400 35mm negatives using a Canon scanner which will scan between 1 to 12 negatives at a time, each negative taking 8-10 minutes for a high definition scan and then 10 to 30 minutes to Photoshop removing scratches and blemishes etc and then adjusting sharpness, contrast and brightness. In all a very time consuming but interesting task.

Initially eighteen photographs taken in Eastleigh MPD, along with three pages of observation notes from the day have been published in ‘The Southern Way Issue 42’ under the title ‘Observations at Eastleigh, 19 March 1966’. I still have around 250-300 negatives to do and once completed I will at long last start working on signals for Shawhurst.

I have used a similar solution on the fiddle yard on my layout, a strip of foam rubber is used set slightly above buffer level and out from the wall to cushion any "fly shunting" moves. :)

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”