Shawhurst - SR/WR OO gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Fratton71D

Re: Shawhurst - SR/WR OO gauge layout

Post by Fratton71D »

Inspired by other modellers on here back in April, In early May I fitted out my Bachmann signal with the Ratio signal box kit and I’ve finally got around to posting a picture. The red colour seat is a reminder of a red rexine (a name from the past) seat we had when I was boy back in the fifties.
Signal box in position and looking a little bare. It needs point rodding to set it off and some ground clutter. Something I need to get around to doing.
Attachments
P1020021-2 8x6 2 load.jpg
P1020021-2 8x6 2 load.jpg (241.04 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
Shawhurst-206 P1020008 2PS 8x6 PB.jpg
Shawhurst-206 P1020008 2PS 8x6 PB.jpg (251.81 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
Last edited by Fratton71D on Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

Over the weekend I finally got to the box stored under the stairs. It’s been through several house moves and has been in its current location since October 1996.

First to be unwrapped were these three Tri-ang GWR livered coaches. The wheels are almost like rollers and when place on the Shawhurst’s code 75 Peco track sit on the sleepers. The date on the paper these were wrapped in was 9th February 1967.

Also unwrapped for the first time in 50 years was Tri-ang SR EMU, again with wheels like rollers!

The yard lamps in the two pics are Bachmann, which I purchased in early 2016 and on seeing how thick the post was I wasn’t going to use them. However recently I was looking a railway book and noticed in one photograph taken of SR N15 in Nine Elms MPD yard in the background was a double yard lamp with a thicker than usual post which convinced me that these Bachmann yard lamps were OK to use. So I cut off the base and here are two of them in position.

More from the box later.
Attachments
A P1020024 PS 8x6 Box.jpg
A P1020024 PS 8x6 Box.jpg (252.52 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
B P1020025 PS 8x6 GWR Liv coaches.jpg
B P1020025 PS 8x6 GWR Liv coaches.jpg (285.23 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
C P1020026 PS 8x6 SR EMU.jpg
C P1020026 PS 8x6 SR EMU.jpg (304.61 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
Last edited by Fratton71D on Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Great job on the signal box! {it just needs some lights.....lol}
What a treasure in the box! But as they are unrunable, now you have to buy a display case to show them off in! (or dependant on sentimental attachment, flog them and buys some nice new runable stock!)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

TimberSurf wrote:Great job on the signal box! {it just needs some lights.....lol}
What a treasure in the box! But as they are unrunable, now you have to buy a display case to show them off in! (or dependant on sentimental attachment, flog them and buys some nice new runable stock!)
I’m too far on to add lights now.

Regarding the Tri-ang WR coaches, I’ve just purchased four packs of Bachmann MK1 coach bogies and at a later date I will fit these to the coaches allowing them to run on Shawhurst’s code 75 track. The coaches may not be like today’s high standard of RTR coaches but they have a huge sentimental value from my younger days and thus will make the occasional appearance.

Also found in the box:
A SMP EM gauge point kit and a short section of EM gauge track.

A Hornby SD box van re-wheeled to EM gauge. 2 Hornby SD Fruit D wagons, 2 Hornby Blue Circle fish vans and a Hornby SD Cattle wagon. I have now re-wheeled these with Hornby R8097 and R8098 wheels. See attached photo.

Four Tri-ang SR suburban coaches, a Utility Van and a mix of Tri-ang goods stock, a couple of which I’ll re-wheel, detail and use.

Tri-ang Britannia loco and modified and partially detailed L1fitted with a Wills SR Q tender.

A lot of sundry scenic and detailing items etc.
Attachments
P1020034 PS 8x6.jpg
P1020034 PS 8x6.jpg (257.32 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

Just been adding some grass, so the the flat grey well trodden look finally has some colour in some areas with more still to do.

The dark rust coloured bullhead rails gradually being overgrown by grass are from the SMP EM point kit that had been stored in the box.

I'm also working through my photos and replacing those on Photobucket with attachments uploaded directly to the forum. I still have pages 1-3 to do.
Attachments
Shawhurst-207 P1020036 PS 8x6.jpg
Shawhurst-207a P1020037 PS 8x6.jpg
Shawhurst-207b P1020038 PS 8x6.jpg
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

Finally replaced all my photos that were being held to ransom on Photobucket. I've taken advantage of doing this by Photoshopping all them to enhance contrast, colour and sharpness. Now I can get back to railway modelling.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

First a big THANK YOU for replacing pictures.
I know from experience it's not easy !!

Certainly a little box of treasures seeing daylight
again. Also look very good sitting there on the layout.

Geoff T.
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

Four weeks ago myself and my wife were on a four day break staying in Pickering. From previous visits to Pickering and knowing there is a dealer in model railway items in the town market, I took some of the Tri-ang stock (SR suburban coaches, Utility Van and some of goods stock) and sundry other items from the box which I didn’t wish to keep and traded them for GWR box vans which when coupled to the Bachmann GWR brake van I have provide me a short GWR goods train for my alternative pre-nationalisation theme.
What didn’t have was a GWR livered steam loco and what I wanted was a Collet 0-6-0 loco which is not currently in production. Back home and on Google I found a few used examples for sale however as luck would have it TMC had one only new boxed example of 32-300 which is now safely in my possession.
Last but not least we both enjoyed our NYMR Pickering to Whitby and return steam/diesel rail journey.
Attachments
Shawhurst-208 P1020051 8x6 nrm-1ps.jpg
Shawhurst-209 P1020052 8x6 nrm-1ps.jpg
End2end

Post by End2end »

Dave wrote:
Dad-1 wrote:First a big THANK YOU for replacing pictures.
Yes, well done from me too, it has prompted me to go through your thread again, and a nice little story it is 8)
I agree with both.
Thinking I never saw the start of your layout not realising I was 2nd to post a reply, I went all the way back and enjoyed it all once more. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

Dad-1, Dave and End2end thanks for your coments .

I’ve added a little more grass in some areas and I feel I’m there with the grass now.
I’ve also added a Hornby SR concrete platelayers hut to an area that looked like it needed something.

All I have now to do is some detailing here and there and construct signals from Ratio kits which should be fun.
Attachments
Shawhurst-210b P1020056 8x6 nrm-1ps.jpg
Shawhurst-210a P1020055 8x6 nrm-1ps.jpg
Shawhurst-210 P1020054 8x6 nrm-1ps.jpg
Shawhurst-212 P1020058 8x6 nrm-1ps.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moduleho

Post by Moduleho »

Hi,

I am just discover this layout. It look very nice and very interesting for exploitation !
I like it very well.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Some quality modelling there.
You made me realize how lucky I am with 2 Collett Goods, I BR early
the other GWR. One of my favourite locos, somewhere there's many
a youtube video of Castell Mawr with one hauling ..... goods of course !

Geoff T.
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

Dad-1 wrote:Some quality modelling there.
You made me realize how lucky I am with 2 Collett Goods, I BR early
the other GWR. One of my favourite locos, somewhere there's many
a youtube video of Castell Mawr with one hauling ..... goods of course !

Geoff T.
Geoff I very much enjoyed seeing your Collet goods running on Castell Mawr at this year’s Milton Keynes model railway show.

As well as the GWR livered loco, over the years I have aquired two in BR livery, number 2277 late crest in green and 2217 early crest in weathered black. Here they are, 2277 arriving with a train from Didcot while 2217 waits to couple up for the return journey.

Tony
Attachments
Shawhurst-213 P1020068-1 nrm-1ps.jpg
Si_Donal

Post by Si_Donal »

What a great layout, It's really looking fabulous - well done and thank you for sharing.
Si

Leisure Time = those moments between the lists of jobs that a wife gives you to do.

Visit my layout thread at: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=24781
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

First picture Wills G6 body kit started late 1960's, almost completed apart from a few parts in the container, stored boxed up until recently and originally intended to fit on a Hornby R1 chassis. However the R1 chassis just does not look good by todays modelling standards so purchased (second picture) from South Eastern Finecast one chassis kit, one set of Romford wheesl and crank pins and an electric motor with gears. All sent to Aardstorm Models for completion and after all these years this will become G6 number 30258.
Attachments
P1020032-ps-nrm.jpg
P1020066-1 nrm.jpg