Seaton Junction

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
35011 GSN

Re: Seaton Junction

Post by 35011 GSN »

Fantastic work on the Merchant Navy, reminded me I should get round to doing that to my own!
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

A bit more work done, the tracks have been painted a rusty brown, and quite a bit of ballasting has taken place, the platform surfaces need some more work. The bases for the 2 footbridge's can be seen also:
DSC00786.JPG
DSC00787.JPG
This brings me to another question, what was the speed limit through 'Seaton Junction' in 50's/60's?
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

markS&D wrote:This brings me to another question, what was the speed limit through 'Seaton Junction' in 50's/60's?
A link to West of England loco performance
http://locoperformance.tripod.com/editi ... oowest.htm

I'm impressed with your ballasting - I think if I had that much ballasting I'd end up going mental!
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

Very interesting reading, it appears that express trains through "Seaton Junction" were allowed to go as fast as they liked, although I did see an ex SR steam driver on a program about "Clan Line" say that 90mph was the official maximum.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

This is great work Mark. Your ballasting looks good andI love the look of those sweeping lines flowing in through the station too. I'm watching with interest.

Paul
THE CHIEF

Post by THE CHIEF »

Br(S) mainline, perfect :) I'm be watching with great interest! Looks like a great start :)
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

Here is a very quick video clip for anyone interested, I do have more trains than are featured in this clip, but it gives the general idea of what I am trying to achieve. I am currently constructing working signals for the junction, the one that is causing me the biggest headache, is the really tall double bracket signal (not my model, someone else's):
seaton tall signal.jpg
I am using the ratio plastic LNER style signal kit, to construct this.

Here is a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/QVNATwjbas0
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

That is an awesome piece of signal construction, I am very impressed!!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

A Bit of an update, some of the scenery is started, and some station buildings under construction:
DSC00804.JPG
DSC00803.JPG
DSC00802.JPG
Next, I have converted my 'US Lines' into '35002 Union Castle', I have modified the Hornby series 2 tender, into a series 1 5000 gallon tender for this model, and added some 'Albert Goodall' detailing parts such as draincock's, and cast metal ashpans:
DSC00799.JPG
DSC00800.JPG
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

Here's one more of the rear of 'Union Castle's' tender:
DSC00801.JPG
Kentishman

Post by Kentishman »

You're going well Mark. Have you seen the old copy of Railway Modeller when Pecorama's then new Seaton Junction layout (N gauge) was unveiled? There was an article by a chap who had lived at the station when a child, as his father was the Station Master. He recalled expresses hurtling through the station. I don't remember when this was published; it must have been a while ago as the layout has already been replaced.
Kentishman

Post by Kentishman »

I've borrowed the following book from our local library: Devon Railways by Ted Gosling and Mike Clement, Sutton Publishing Ltd, ISBN 0-7509-1669-9. There are some photo's of Seaton Junction, all monochrome unfortunately, but also some occasional visitors that did, or may well have, passed through Seaton Junction. For example, 4472 Flying Scotsman is pictured at Exmouth Junction shed during a rail tour on the 19th October 1963. Sir Lamiel, 777, with a ten coach train running through Seaton Junction on the 21st June 1992. 20th September 1964, 92220 Evening Star in the up sidings at Seaton Junction after a 'Farewell to Steam' railtour. 7th February 1965, GWR 0-4-2 tanks 1442 and 1450 taking water at Axminster while on their way from Yeovil shed to Exmouth Junction shed. 2nd September 1962, Schools' 30925 Cheltenham with a luggage van, six coaches and a milk tank passing through Seaton Junction with the 11am Exeter to Waterloo train. There's also a photo taken at Seaton station during May 1963 of GWR pannier tank 6412 with an autocoach. I hope this is of interest.
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

This is all of real interest to me, if you watched that very short video clip I made, I actually had '4472' running through the station (albeit in NRM condition with deflector plates). There are only a few limited pictures available on the internet, showing trains. I have seen a video on youtube, of 'Sir Lamiel' running through the station, and some class 50's on NSE trains

here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zydGzfFVhJ4
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

For anyone who is interested in how I converted the Hornby series 2 MN 5100 gallon tender into a series 1 5000 gallon tender, I copied what this chap had done on this site:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... t-tenders/

Note this is not suitable for all the series 1 rebuilt MN's, some ended up with the BR rebodied 5250 gallon tenders. My example 'Union Castle' is ok with this tender, up to sometime in 1959, after which time the loco received a rebodied tender

This image shows the loco with the 5000 gallon tender at 'Clapham Junction' April 1959:

http://www.geoffbannister.com/tod/sr_steam/35002.jpg
Kentishman

Post by Kentishman »

Very good video, thanks. Re. Sir Lamiel, I have a soft spot for this loco - several years ago Mrs KM and I enjoyed a steam excursion from London Victoria to Weymouth behind Sir L. On the return trip, Sir L brought the train into Weymouth, but at the other end was A4 Bittern. We ran topped and tailed to Dorchester where Sir L departed for Yeovil, while Bittern took us back to Waterloo. When we got off, it seemed that everyone at Waterloo, commuters, staff and police, wanted to get a glimpse of her (Bittern that is, not Mrs KM, gorgeous though she is): a great day out.