Seaton Junction

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
markS&D

Seaton Junction

Postby markS&D » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:22 am

Hi folks, the S&D layout has gone, the lure of the southern region mainline in BR steam era got the better of me.

Available space = 27' x 14'.

I have started construction on a representation of 'Seaton Junction'.

Here are some pictures to show the progress so far.

seaton junction.jpg
seaton junction.jpg (38.92 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

DSC00639.JPG
DSC00639.JPG (80.71 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

DSC00636.JPG
DSC00636.JPG (99.53 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

DSC00637.JPG
DSC00637.JPG (96.28 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

DSC00638.JPG
DSC00638.JPG (94.82 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

As you can see work has commenced in earnest, the locomotive pictures are included to give an idea of scale.

The through lines in the center are super elevated on curves, using card strip. The track layout allows for scale length platforms, in real life they were '670 feet', which in 4mm scale is '2680 mm'.

One picture shows ' 34036 Westward HO', the other shows, '35026 Lamport & Holt Line' which arrived through the post today, the loco is in mint boxed condition, and has an unopened detail pack, and on test running on DC power, it runs sweet as a nut, I am very impressed. I am also pleased to see that this example does not have the sprung rear driving axle, which tends to cause a horrible wobbling motion to the driving wheels of early Rebuilt Hornby Merchant Navy locoomotives.
My layout, only look if you are interested.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

Kentishman

Re: Seaton Junction

Postby Kentishman » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:22 pm

Looks impressive. Can we anticipate an Adams Radial double heading on its way between Axminster and Exmouth Junction shed, once they are available? What else will you be running: Battle of Britains, Merchant Navy, King Arthurs, T9, M7? You might sneak in a Terrier - one did a rail tour to Lyme Regis and double headed with one of the Adams Radials, or even a 14XX during its unsuccessful trial on the Lyme Regis branch. Good luck with it.

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:51 pm

I am looking to purchase a couple more loco's soon, there is an N15, that I have got my eye on, and a T9 aswell. I have got 2 rebuilt West Country Loco's, and a couple of rebuilt MN's at the moment, but a few more Bulleid's wouldn't hurt!

An M7 tank or 2 will be needed, to work the 'Seaton' Branch trains.

Its early days yet, so my attention really ought to focus on getting things up and running. Although the locomotives are always a source of distraction!

Back to the layout again, the only work I have managed to achieve since Friday, is a bit more dismantling of the previous layout, to make way for this one. The plan is to have a large fiddle yard on the opposite side of the room to the main station area, seen in the photos. So the station and junction area will be the main scenic section of the layout.

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:35 pm

Quite a bit more work has been done since I last posted, the track layout in the main station/junction area is almost complete, including the milk depot and associated sidings, I need to take some photos of this.

I have also begun constructing the baseboards for the 'Seaton Branch line' which (with a little bit of modellers license!) will come away from the main station, at a slightly shallower angle than the prototype's 45 degrees (A 45 degree angle would compromise my operating space). This Branch line will run round to the storage area via its own scenic section, and have its own set of storage sidings.

On the locomotive front, I have been expanding my 'Merchant Navy' fleet, In addition to '35026', I now also have '35012 United States Lines', both bought as mint boxed. I have also recently purchased '35028 Clan Line' which 'Rails of Sheffield' were selling on ebay as a restoration project.

DSC00655.JPG
DSC00655.JPG (78.25 KiB) Viewed 3206 times

When I received the model, upon inspection, I found that: (note: this is in no way a criticism of 'Rails of Sheffield', the loco was advertised as a restoration project fof £79.50, I got it for £68 free delivery)

The Connecting rod on the drivers side was bent and twisted
The loco and chassis were held together with some sort of grey putty
The locomotive body fixing screw and the plastic/brass threaded tube attachment were both broken away from the body
The loco-tender drawbar was bent, as were the top contacts
The speedo was snapped
One tender step is missing

After a couple of nights work, I have managed to rectify everything apart from the missing tender step.

I have also slightly lowered the ride height of the locomotive body in relation to the chassis, as I have found with these Merchant Navy models upon studing photographs and drawings of the prototype, some of these models seem to have the body sat too high, resulting in the loco buffers being too high, and the rear end of the loco too high in relation to the tender cab.

So I now have 1 2nd series, and 2 3rd series MN's, To produce a 1st, I would need a 5000 gallon tender, or a BR rebuild 5250. But this will have to wait. I need an M7 Tank engine next.

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:46 pm

Update:

All of the trackwork is now in place, and all of the pointwork in the main scenic area is wired up, and good to go.

Initial test running of light engines has flagged up a couple of issues, one crossover on the station approaches, is out of alignment slightly, not noticeable when just looking at the track on its own, but apparent when a train runs over it. One of the points in the Milk depot, keeps jamming up when the switch is thrown to move it, even though the point moves fine when operated by hand!

Oh well, I think these things are sent to try us :roll:

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:43 pm

Update:

The trackwork problems have been ironed out, the Seaton Branch line is now fully laid round to the fiddle yard, And initial construction of the main station platforms has begun, which at 2680mm ( 8.8 feet ) on a sweeping curve, is quite a mammoth task!

I also now have a nice M7 tank engine, DCC fitted in Southern Green.

Pictures to follow :)

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:46 pm

Evening Mark,
while looking on another forum, I happened to find this which you may find of interest: http://umborne.org/2011/07/seaton-junction/
Your progress is most impressive (said by the man who couldn't outrun a glacier).
KM

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:03 pm

Here are some update photos, all of the trackwork is in place in the main scenic section, and all the pointwork is fully wired up. Station platforms are now under construction.

DSC00696.JPG
DSC00696.JPG (78.96 KiB) Viewed 2715 times

DSC00695.JPG
DSC00695.JPG (102.56 KiB) Viewed 2715 times

DSC00694.JPG
DSC00694.JPG (94.93 KiB) Viewed 2715 times

DSC00693.JPG
DSC00693.JPG (94.77 KiB) Viewed 2715 times

DSC00692.JPG
DSC00692.JPG (107.38 KiB) Viewed 2715 times

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:15 pm

That is one hell of an expanse.
It sounded like your super-elevation was rather restrained. Has it caused you any problems
with coaches de-railing, or uncoupling ? I've heard of problems, possibly from too great an
angle, or too short a transition. It would be nice to know somebody has it working well !!

Have done several trips on the trams along that southern part of the old line.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:48 am

I'm so envious! I wish I had the space for this. Your layout is certainly coming along nicely!

I look forward to seeing more!

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Dad-1 wrote:That is one hell of an expanse.
It sounded like your super-elevation was rather restrained. Has it caused you any problems
with coaches de-railing, or uncoupling ? I've heard of problems, possibly from too great an
angle, or too short a transition. It would be nice to know somebody has it working well !!

Have done several trips on the trams along that southern part of the old line.

Geoff T.

I have not experienced any difficulty with the super-elevation, I have kept it fairly minimal, due to the fact that the curvature is quite gentle through the station area, but just enough for you to be able to notice the train lean slightly as it runs through the curves.

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:43 pm

Another Day, another arrival. For those of you inclined to throw your hands up in horror, its 3 Triang/Hornby MK1 coaches, purchased for £8 all in! I couldn't miss that opportunity, and seen as though I already have replacement metal wheels in stock, why not!

coaches.JPG
coaches.JPG (111.78 KiB) Viewed 2516 times

I just need to repaint them into BR green livery, fit the new wheels, and were well away.

I cant justify spending loads of notes on highly detailed coaches, who really looks at how detailed they are, when there in a rake of 11, rushing past at express speed behind a MN pacific?

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:40 pm

Some more progress and more photos,

I have wired up all of the points in the fiddle yard, I used Insulfrog points, and made a panel, with a basic trackplan, which incorporates some 15volt bulbs, so that I can see straight away, if the selected road points have thrown correctly and are powering the desired line, each line has 2 bulbs, one for each point, with an isolating rail joiner in the center of the storage loop.

Using insulfrog points also means that if the points have not thrown for any reason, the locomotive will not move.

More MK1 coaches.
DSC00737.JPG
DSC00737.JPG (87.69 KiB) Viewed 2482 times

View of fiddle yard, shortest lines can hold 2 trains, longest, an express and 2 local trains
DSC00736.JPG
DSC00736.JPG (69.43 KiB) Viewed 2482 times

M7 in Branch line Platform
DSC00735.JPG
DSC00735.JPG (80.46 KiB) Viewed 2482 times

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:05 pm

Another day, another loco project.

Lamport & Holt Line has had the 'Albert Goodall' detail treatment, with proper cast whitemetal Ashpans, which fill the empty space behind the Hornby plastic moulded ones, and add the extra missing section from the bottom, also cast brass cylinder draincock pipes, the loco wheel rims have been blackened (I forgot the bogie wheels :roll: ) I have filled in the unsightly gaps behind the cylinders and above the 2nd bogie wheel, with black plasticard, this also makes a big difference to the loco's appearance. The tender has had the vacuum cylinder cover modified, to make it slightly taller like the prototype.

DSC00742.JPG
DSC00742.JPG (108.86 KiB) Viewed 2386 times

I know this is not really helping the layout progress, but I do like these little loco detailing projects.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Line up a series of loco and stock detailing jobs to do in between ballasting sessions. It will help preserve your sanity :)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”