St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
PinkNosedPenguin

Re: St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:01 am

End2end wrote:Yes PNP. After about 10 mins of my end to end layout I got bored. :lol:
There's bends at each end...does that count? :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end

Yeah I've never built an end to end layout as I like to watch trains go round, and round, and . . .
But you're right , it doesn't stop us having trains go on a journey from one place (end) to another (end) as that makes operation much more satisfying . . .

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:55 pm

I've got to a point on the rear left junction that I am not sure about.
All points in the picture below have no DCC droppers. There are IRJ's on all V rails.
All the rest of the track pieces including the crossover do have DCC droppers.
TwinPoints.jpg

My question is, do the 2 adjoining green points need a power feed somewhere or are the white connected tracks before and after them with DCC droppers sufficient?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:58 pm

Can anyone answer the above please as I'd like to get passed this junction?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:35 pm

I cannot help with your question End2end, but having a continuous run, I found, allows me to give my locomotives 'a run'. When I had a end to end layout I found the locomotives were rather sluggish.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:49 pm

I think the best approach for trouble-free running is (with DCC): "When in doubt, fit a dropper!". I can't see it would ever do any harm to fit extra ones where you are not sure; it just might be unnecessary. So I think the answer to your question is: Up to you. If you are adding droppers to every piece of track, rather than relying on fishplates to conduct the power and signal, then fit them here too :D.
Last edited by PinkNosedPenguin on Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:21 pm

I can't argue with PnP's previous post, but if all 2 on the left and all 4 white lines are fed, then you should not need to feed the points at all.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

heda

Postby heda » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:43 pm

I would add droppers, they may not be needed but it is a belt and braces approach. If you add them but don't need them no harm done. If you don't add them then get power loss through a faulty fishplate you'll wish you had.
Dave

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:11 pm

After switching the points back and forth trying to work out the power flow or any possible disconnection of it, I eventually went for adding droppers on the toe end of the right hand green point (opposite end from the V rails / frog end).
As there is an IRJ connecting the green points and one on the right hand green points V rails, the power would not have gotten through from the white powered track furthest right. This way the left hand point can take power from the left hand curves or crossover and the right hand point can take power from the straight or it's toe end droppers.

I've run out of dropper wire again but have ordered more today so hopefully it will be with me by Wednesday to finish the last of the track pieces.
In the meantime I still need to finish adding some of the already installed droppers to the DCC bus.
All the track tested so far is working but some needs a clean. :D
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:08 pm

I worked out a way to solder droppers to track after it has been laid, so more track laying and connecting the droppers to the DCC bus that are already in place has been the flavour of the day.
I have the 2 full loops working properly and most of the sidings. :D Although some of the track needs a clean.

I realised today that I have 2 left hand points when I need 2 right hand points so I've managed to order them today and hopefully they and the 7/0.2 wire for more DCC droppers should be with me by the weekend.

At the moment the layout is covered with all sorts of tools and paraphernalia I still need to use and will stay like that until I completely finish laying all the track.... so no pictures just yet. Finally I can run trains again. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:50 pm

Oh dear. I've just realised I need ANOTHER 2 Peco ST-240 right hand points. I used the original pair I had in the sidings on the front baseboard.
The cheapest place I found the other day to order from are now out of stock so I will need to buy them from elsewhere.
Luckily they are only for entrances into dead end sidings so once I received the first pair I ordered I can carry on with the rear sidings and add the track for the dead end sidings later on.

Today I've been doing Railway Modellers yoga. Trying to wire in the rest of the droppers to the DCC bus twisting and contorting inbetween the underframe of the layout. :lol:
Well... :lol: now the cramps worn off. :?
Not much more I can do until I receive more 7/0.2 wire. I'm resisting the urge to run trains until all is done...but it's very tempting. :D
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:59 pm

[quote="End2end" I'm resisting the urge to run trains until all is done...but it's very tempting. :D
Thanks
End2end[/quote]

I would run them. The trackwork needs testing. :lol: Any excuse will do. :lol: :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:22 pm

End2end wrote:Today I've been doing Railway Modellers yoga.

Yes we need to keep healthy whilst spending so much time indoors :D

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:39 pm

Most of the track has been tested so far glencairn, the problem is taking all the tools and everything off just to put it all back on again to finish the rest of the track laying. In fact the only problem I've encounted so far whilst testing is dirty track.
But I haven't got the to daunting task of point motor installation yet. :?

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:
End2end wrote:Today I've been doing Railway Modellers yoga.

Yes we need to keep healthy whilst spending so much time indoors :D

Chant it with me ......"Ohm - Ree - Sisss - Taaance" :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:22 pm

I'm so close I can almost smell the steam!
I need 4 more double straights and 1 right hand point (that's already on it's way) to finish the sidings and then track laying will be complete (again).
I have tested it all and everything is running as it should bar some track cleaning. Once that's done I need to turn my mind to fitting the SEEP PM1's.
I'm sure there was a video online about using the point motor fitting tool I bought but it's seems to have been removed from both youtube and the manufacturers site. Just when I need it. :roll:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:43 pm

The final point arrived today so I set about cutting, laying and adding the flex-track piece that comes before the point to the DCC bus and adding the point itself. I still cannot finish even this siding without the final straights which, along with more 32/0.2 for the controller to DCC bus and programming track, are on their way.

I am not sure where the programming track will be just yet but I think I will use one of the sidings that can fit any length loco in and use a switch to change from programming track power and full DCC power. I still need to work out how this is done but I don't think it's that hard.

Also last night I put my 121 bubble car on the layout and ran 2 trains, testing to make sure everything is working as it should. No real problems but I think I am may to have to dig out some of the uncoupling magnets as now the layout has changed from a working end to end to full loops they are possibly in the wrong place, although more testing needs to be done with another loco as the Hornby duck I have been using to test sits quite high and I think the coupling up is not quite right as sometimes it uncouples from it's wagons (even weighted), so that could be the possible cause and maybe that's what needs looking at rather than magnet placement.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”