St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
End2end

Re: St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Postby End2end » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:48 pm

It's a great medium to build with GeraldH.
It's like Lego for modellers. :mrgreen:
(I will point out that the yard office above is actually a plastic kit from Ratio though, free with Jan's Railway Modeller magazine) :wink:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:14 pm

[quote="GeraldH"]I love the imaginative use of Linka. I've always found the roofing moulds to be the trickiest ones to get a good result, as the gaps between the moulds seem more obvious. I have more recently smeared a bit of polyfilla onto the gaps and then scribed it out once it's dry. It's a bit of a fiddle though.[/quote

Sorry End2 I dont want to take over your thread, but in answer to Gerald I have a Scalecast mould that will cast a single unit for an average sized roof. There are several different styles in their current range.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Stupidly I just realised..... I've forgotton to add the guttering and drainpipes to the yard office. :lol:
So not quite finished after all.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:54 pm

In reply to GeraldH, you could always substitute the roof tiles will Wills or Slaters (et al) plastic roof sheets instead of using the thick Linka roof tiles.
I haven't tried it myself but they would definatly be thinner and possibly easier to hide the gaps.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:32 pm

Last weekend I managed to get 2 out of the 4 baseboards constructed. They are 57 inches long, waist height and quite unwieldy but nothing compared to the front and rear boards still left to do at 8 foot a piece. :shock:
My idea is to stand one of the 57 inch side baseboards upright on it's end with the front baseboard standing on it's side next to it. Clamp them together and drill the basebaord alingment holes in the correct places and bolt them together. Once this is done I can then detatch the front baseboard and add it's legs and bracings.
I'll then do the same with the rear baseboard.
But .....I've run out of wood for the bracings and I cannot clear enough space in the railway room to do it until a friend who will be visiting this week leaves.

Hopefully I can get my free wood man to deliver what I need within a week or so and I can finish and get some more track down.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:25 pm

What I do is when making the first of a pair of boards, is clamp the matching end of the next board to it. Drill the holes for the dowels, mark up the extra piece for which way up and around, then fasten it to the second board during construction.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:48 pm

That's the plan Bufferstop except that once I have aligned 2 baseboards and drilled and added the baseboard connecting bolts (with washers and wing nuts, instead of dowels) I need to disconnect the baseboards to add the legs to the front and rear boards.
It would have been easier to add all the legs and bracing to all baseboards then connect them all together but I don't physically have the space.

This way, by standing one up on end and the other lying on it's side, I can clamp them and get the baseboard tops aligned properly without the worry of the uneven floor.
I'm still not quite sure how to get ALL baseboards level over the whole layout but whichever way, the adjustable feet can be moved up or down a fair amount.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:37 am

It all sounds complicated, End2end. I was, and still am, useless at woodwork. Thank goodness I had my son building my baseboards.

Carry on. Upwards and onwards as they say.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:48 am

So am I glencairn. That's why it's taken so long. First I had to find the courage. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:10 pm

Just a quick update on St. Blazey's.
I have almost finished adding the bracing to the 3rd baseboard but fate being what it is......I've run out of the correct size screws. :roll:
Hopefully if I contact my free wood man I should hopefully have them by tommorrow evening.
I've also underestimated how much wood I need to finish. I had six 8 foot lengths delivered on Tuesday but after cutting them for the bracings I can see that I don't have enough left over to finish all the baseboards.
This is what I get, designing 2 of the basebaords 8 feet long. :lol:

So nothing left to do at the moment except sit and wait...... and read the forum. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:44 pm

"Quote"
First I had to find the courage.
Thought you did that years ago !! It's confidence that slips a little sometimes.
I do like the Russian buildings, a nice rustic look suitable for British backwoods.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:09 pm

Only on the modelling side Dad-1. My total lack of skills in some areas has caused the delay so I've done everything backwards, modelling buildings before they have somewhere to go. :lol:
I'm looking forward to getting more track down on the 3 new boards and running some trains after the layout change FINALLY. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”