St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
End2end

Re: St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Postby End2end » Thu May 02, 2019 11:14 pm

TimberSurf wrote:Advice from Timbologist is not to have tiles directly above each other! Like brickwork, offset the design by 1/2 a tile on each level, if you can. It breaks up the joins to the eye and is stronger.

Advice especially apt for roof tiles! For strength I usually glue tiles or bits of tiles over the joins on the back / inside (or underside in the case of roofs).
In this case Timbersurf it doesn't matter about the design as it's all going to be covered in a second face coat of plaster so you won't really see the stone repetition.

I was actually thinking earlier, that's one mould type that's missing from the range. Moulds of just multiple half width tiles in stone, brick or wood so you can cast 6 -8 half tiles at a time. Half tiles are very useful.

@joshv8. Yes a very rare item indeed! I wonder if scalecast will ever produce one?
@Mountain. I've still not finished the van but it was useful to understand the size of this LINKA LEVIATION. :shock: :lol:
@Dublo. First rounds on me. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Fri May 03, 2019 5:47 am

Hi End2
Half panel mould, your right that would be useful. I have a single one for brickwork along with other pieces on one of the green moulds. But I don't appear to have a stone one at all. If Scalecast don't produce one then maybe Dublo moulds will.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri May 03, 2019 10:06 am

Dublo wrote:Hi End2
Half panel mould, your right that would be useful. I have a single one for brickwork along with other pieces on one of the green moulds. But I don't appear to have a stone one at all. If Scalecast don't produce one then maybe Dublo moulds will.

S3 mould has a half tile in stone. If you don't have S3, but have S4, the full tile with holes in the middle can easily be sawn off in half to give a half width tile!
Part 33, see viewtopic.php?f=49&t=54149&p=668140#p668140
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri May 03, 2019 1:21 pm

TimberSurf wrote:S3 mould has a half tile in stone. If you don't have S3, but have S4, the full tile with holes in the middle can easily be sawn off in half to give a half width tile!

I do actually have the S3 and S4 moulds and have had to resort to filing the tile with holes down to create more.
It's a pain in the brake van! :lol:
If anyone creates a multiple (perhaps 8 ) half tile mould in stone...I'll take one. :mrgreen: I'll take a multiple half tile brick one too if your feeling adventurous! :D
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue May 07, 2019 2:24 pm

Ebay wins, 4 boot sales, a toy fair and a trip to Gaugemaster over the bank holiday weekend meant I managed to gather some more items I need for the Inn I am building plus some extra generic bits and pieces.
From Ebay I'm waiting on a 300mm X 200mm steel square, a fibre glass scratch pen (to remove decals from my next win), Finally I managed to buy a Hornby ECC liveried 0-4-0 Barclay Shunter. :mrgreen:

From Gaugemaster an "I" beam shaped length of plastic for £1.95 (OUCH!) and a packet of 4 Wills SSMP227 English Bond brick sheets £3.95 (for the Inn's chimney) plus April's BRM magazine (with the cover removed) for free.

From the toy fair the "British Railway Modelling Right Track 4 Detailing and Improving RTR" dvd for only £1 :o .

From the boot sales a pack of 3 wire brushes (nylon, steel and brass) and a Linka system trial set with extra moulds for only £2! :o

All this recent talk of Linka in the last few weeks, I had a "feeling in me bones" I'd find some but was more on the lookout for the usual bigger boxes. :lol:
Inside the box was only moulds and some paper work. No measuring cups or tools. I had hoped there would be some of the window acetates in there too but sadly not.
I'm not sure what the owner had used to cast with but 2 of the moulds (single tunnel mouth and long walling with top stones) are in a bad state of repair with a lot of hard plaster residue on them and a hole or 2 in the moulds so I don't think they can be used. They are not like the usual moulds though. Very thin, like the long roofing moulds. The tunnel mouth is see through and the walling mould is black.
But that still leaves 8 usuable moulds. I like to have 2 of each mould I use (for quicker casting) so will keep what I need and 1 or 2 I want as the set came with a wider pavement mould to the 3 (of the same pavement mould) I already have so will also keep that and sell on the rest.
This should help fund anything else I need for the Inn build.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Tue May 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Blimey End2 a busy weekend, it looks like it's been a most successful one too. Are the damaged moulds repairable at all ?

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue May 07, 2019 8:04 pm

I'm not sure to be honest Dublo. Once I've tried to clean the crud off I'll have a better picture but as they are the flimsy moulds I don't hold out much hope.

Oh and on top of all that we also have a new kitten. :D
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Tue May 07, 2019 8:12 pm

End2end wrote:Oh and on top of all that we also have a new kitten. :D

Beware of it going to sleep on that patch of new grass you've just glued down.....
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue May 07, 2019 8:14 pm

mahoganydog wrote:Beware of it going to sleep on that patch of new grass you've just glued down.....

:lol: He's not allowed in the layout room yet!
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue May 14, 2019 6:19 pm

The new station master's cat, "Marley" (no relation to the singer) says hello. :D
Marley.JPG
Marley.JPG (50.24 KiB) Viewed 455 times

Today I've been playing with an idea for a multi socket decoder tester. I need to buy the actual sockets but I have been trying to work out the wiring diagram for a piece of vero board. I then expanded the diagram to include being able to test the front and rear lights but I am not sure if it will work.
Can someone take a look at the diagram (below) and see if it would actually work please?
The 2 LEDs would have a 1KOHm resistor but would this need to be on the Blue (COMMON) leg or the Yellow / White leg?
DecoderTester2sm.jpg

Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue May 14, 2019 6:24 pm

I've just noticed a glaring error on the plan. One LED should connect between White and Blue not Yellow and White. :roll:
So there should be 2 LEDS, one LED connected to Yellow & Blue and one LED connected to White & Blue.
Pretend it's that way. :oops: :arrow: :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed May 15, 2019 9:32 pm

Can I just bump these last 2 questions as IF my design would work I'd like to buy the componants I need.

End2end wrote:Can someone take a look at the diagram and see if it would actually work please?

The 2 LEDs would have a 1KOHm resistor but would this need to be on the Blue (COMMON) leg or the Yellow / White leg?

The 0-4-0 motor turned up today for my ECC 08 shunter so I have fitted it and run it in and also greased and oiled the loco, cleaned the wheels and painted the buffers black. I do have a couple of decoders that may fit the bill but I need to test them first, hopefully with my decoder tester once built and if it works. (see a previous post a couple of posts up for the design)

Linkaonline have finally posted the mould I ordered on the 28th :roll: so hopefully I should get that in the post by the weekend or the start of next week.
Also today I received Timbersurf's Linka windows so expect some test pieces soon. :D
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu May 16, 2019 7:46 am

End2end wrote:
Today I've been playing with an idea for a multi socket decoder tester. I need to buy the actual sockets but I have been trying to work out the wiring diagram for a piece of vero board. I then expanded the diagram to include being able to test the front and rear lights but I am not sure if it will work.
Can someone take a look at the diagram (below) and see if it would actually work please?
End2end

I will eventually need one myself, so I had a go at proving your diagram. The issue is that the 8 pin has a blue wire, but the 6 pin has no common pin for the LED's!. Apparently you connect them to black! So when using a 6 and 8 pin, the common would need to be switched to the appropriate colour.
Attachments
Decoder tester.jpg

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu May 16, 2019 12:14 pm

OH...erm....yes...but
I only meant LED's for the 8 pin decoders. I wasn't aware you could get 6 pin decoders with lights so didn't include them in the design.
Probably something to do with me not knowing and no actual specific lighting wire on the 6 pin decoders.

The LED's (for 8 pin decoders with the associated wiring) was an afterthought of the design so no provision was made for any other decoders LED's, deeming it unnecessary. This circuit is mainly to test that a decoder works, as in motor function.
It will never have more than one decoder plugged in at a time.
As this is the case, looking at your design Timbersurf, would I really need a switch or could I just hard wire the black permanently?
OR
personally preferable, do away with the switch and the wiring for the 6 pin LED's completely, leaving the original design with LED's ONLY for the 8 pin socket with the full compliment of wiring and the 3 decoder sockets.

I know this way, I won't be able to test 6 pin lighting nor other decoder functions, but do many of us use 6 pin decoders in a lit loco?
I'd plump for an 8 pin in that case with the extra wire to make life easier.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu May 16, 2019 2:29 pm

The easiest may be to wire for 8 pin, forget the switch and just wire the LED's to blue and not connect yellow and white from the 6 pin.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”