St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Itsonlyme

Re: St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Postby Itsonlyme » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:13 pm

End2end wrote:Thanks for your compliments Itsonlyme. Copy anything you like. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end

Haha, I might well do that!

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:31 pm

I found myself at Gaugemaster again today. I didn't buy anything but I did get a close look at a couple of new Hornby locos and theres one new 0-4-0ST that may well make it onto my layout.
Looking at the Hornby website it states that it will be released in June 2019 yet it was in the cabinet at the shop. :?: :?:
The Peckett Willans and Robinson No. 882/1902.

Incidentally, driving round we found Morris Models of North Lancing too. Shut, but now I know where it is. :)

Finally today a win on ebay this evening increases my rolling stock by one "PENZANCE" marked limited editon brake van.
Happy days. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:18 pm

The "PENZANCE" marked limited editon brake van arrived today and looks really good.
I think the only one left I in the vicinity i'm modelling(-ish) is the "Hayle" marked version. I need look how many Toads I own so far before thinking of buying it as I know I have multiple "St. Blazey" ones. Although short trains with a couple of wagons and a toad at the end sounds quite appealing. :)

I need to go and "offer up" the legs now and mark and drill all the new holes for the wiring. Time to put the kettle on methinks. :idea:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:53 pm

Well that didn't work. I could have sworn I had a hole cutting set only to realise I borrowed one ages ago and gave it back. :oops:
I did get out all the 4 boards and roughly mark where the legs will be screwed in and detatched the wiring from the lighting bus for the buffer stops that will now need removing so not a complete waste of time.
Now I need to buy a hole cutting set but have to wait for more modelling funds to materialise. Hopefully by the end of the week. :roll:
The saga continues.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

GreenBR

Postby GreenBR » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:06 am

Hello,
Have seen some hole cutting saws in Poundland recently. Dont know if you have one near you or how good they are. Might be a cheap way out for you and a quick fix. (just a thought) hope it may be of help
Regards
Stephen

Apparently my memory has been degraded - so i am not stupid after all - what a relief!

http://www.mainline-railways.co.uk http://www.preserved-railways.co.uk

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks GreenBR. I'll take a look. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:23 pm

I managed to pick up a hole cutting set from the boot sale this weekend for £4 so set about cutting the new holes for the wiring run this evening.
I have only cut new holes in the original baseboard, leaving the rest until they have all been connected so I know where the holes can go, unlike the original holes I made. :roll:
Now the wires will not be in the way of where the legs need to be attached.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:51 am

I'm continuing to work on my free grounded van from railway modeller magazine but talk about painstaking painting. :?
WeatheredVan1sm.jpg
WeatheredVan1sm.jpg (114.19 KiB) Viewed 603 times

WeatheredVan2sm.jpg
WeatheredVan2sm.jpg (105.09 KiB) Viewed 603 times

Nowhere near finished yet but I needed to get the rust on before weathering it down more.
Glad that bits over, although it could be worse. It could be twiddly fiddly N gauge. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:47 am

I have been looking at pictures of coaching inns and the like over the last couple of days for inspiration for my Linka inn idea and have finally come up with a crude plan.
The legend is FT = Full Tile (width) / HT = Half Tile (width)
I will use half tiles to offset and widen the archway and leave some space between the 2 front elevation doors so it looks more visually pleasing. To me at least. :mrgreen:
The top row is :- LEFT - front elevation / RIGHT - right hand side elevation, from the front
The middle row :- LEFT - rear elevation / RIGHT - left hand elevation, from the front (with brick chimney)
The bottom row are the walls that will fit under the arch.
Linka Inn Plan sm.jpg
Linka Inn Plan sm.jpg (109.52 KiB) Viewed 566 times

On the front elevation, the blank space above the left hand "main" door, is space for the inn's name.
The rear elevation shows where the roof will descend further down on either side of the arch to ground floor ceiling height, siting these 2 areas (under the roofs) further back than the main building
I haven't shown the main roof.
I needed one more Linka mould for the windows I want to use and as it's stone I can use it on later models.
I checked both linkaonline and scalecast and managed to get it from linkaonline for £10.99 instead of £11.95 from scalecast. :D
http://www.linkaonline.co.uk/store/p144 ... Mould.html
https://www.scalecast.co.uk/store/p96/S ... uld.html#/
Now I need to source some window acetates for this project as is being discussed here - viewtopic.php?f=49&t=54149&start=15#p667804
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:27 pm

Joy to the.....West! :D
I received an email from Hornby today showing a new wagon to join the fleet and it is a St. Austell wagon! Perfect.
https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/private-ow ... FQ,4NJVP,1

Also, talking about cars with someone today, I visited the Oxford Diescast site.
I added the "City of Truro" Fowler Steam Roller to my list of "things i'd like to buy" ages ago but found a forthcoming release with livery that is even closer to the real St. Blazey. Par!
https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collect ... im-76br002
Think i'll be buying that one instead :)

The Linka ruler I won on ebay turned up today but the other mould I've ordered wont be here for a couple of days so I am turning my attention to the floor plan of the Inn. I need to look at some pictures as I don't know if it would have had 2 bars like pubs have or just one large room, would the toilets be Internal or external, the position of the stairs to the upper floor, where the other walls will be, consideration for lighting etc etc etc.

I also need to consider how to make the building strong enough laterally so it can be handled without snapping in two at the archway.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu May 02, 2019 5:30 pm

Planning still underway with the inn, I decided to try to make an actual (rough) scale floor plan with my new Linka ruler.
This made it easy as one of the edges of the ruler (top edge in the picture) has an "00" 1/76 - 4mm = 1 foot gauge on it.
So after measuring the moulds with the Linka ruler I noted each full tile is 9 feet wide ("9" mark on the ruler) or 36mm in real terms, and each half width tile is 4.5 feet wide (4.5 on the ruler) or 18mm in real terms.
On the ruler this equates to 1 tile = 9 / 2 tiles = 18 / 3 tiles = 27 etc.

This works out at a total width of 288mm wide (8 tiles X 36mm = 288mm or 28.8cms) and a total depth of 108mm (3 tiles X 36mm = 108mm or 10.8cms)
Or so says the maths. My biggest Linka building yet! :shock:

I used the "9" mark on the ruler and drew 2 grids (one for each floor) of 9x9's and some lines for the half width tiles using the 4.5 mark on the ruler.
I also moved a couple of window tiles along by a half width tile so the next tile to them will become a full stone wall tile rather than 2 half width stone tiles either side of the window tiles, making building easier. I then marked where all the doors and windows will be on each floor.

The top plan is the ground floor and the bottom plan is the 1st (upper) floor.

HT GAP = Half width stone tile
HT GAP (Half Height) = Half width AND (cut down) Half height stone tile

Floorplan1sm.jpg

On the bottom "1st floor" plan, I have also shown the roof section which will rise from the ground floor.

And just to show the scale in real terms.... with obligatory 00 grounded van and various rulers I used.
Floorplan2sm.jpg

I've started gluing some of the plain stone wall tiles together in 2's and 3's where they fit into the plan but only full tiles, no half tiles, so the plan to move the windows over by half a tile here and there won't affect what I've made up so far.
I'm not going to make up any more tiles yet until the other mould I need arrives but it's a start. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Thu May 02, 2019 7:22 pm

Hi End2
Exciting, a new building arising. Looks like your new scale rule is a useful bit of kit. Looking forward to the grand opening ceremony and flowing Ale. Getting my tankard ready for some quaffing.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu May 02, 2019 7:39 pm

I like the grounded van body.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:55 pm

That scale rule is a nice idea. I look foward to seeing how your building progresses. Youve made good progress since I last checked in.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu May 02, 2019 10:39 pm

Advice from Timbologist is not to have tiles directly above each other! Like brickwork, offset the design by 1/2 a tile on each level, if you can. It breaks up the joins to the eye and is stronger.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”