St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
GreenBR

Re: St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Postby GreenBR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:36 am

Hello,
That is looking realy good.
Stephen

Apparently my memory has been degraded - so i am not stupid after all - what a relief!

http://www.mainline-railways.co.uk http://www.preserved-railways.co.uk

minipix

Postby minipix » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:09 am

I like the way you've layered up the colours there. I far too often rush to get it all done in one go, rather than building it up like that. Your example just shows how good something can look with a bit of patience! Nicely done.
Frontington & Backwoods Railway: https://www.matthewdawkins.co.uk/catego ... way-build/
LocoSound - sound effects for DC model railways: https://mafu-d.github.io/loco-sound

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:19 am

Looks the part End to End - have you tried the pastel chalk method for weathering, I am finding it a really great (and relatively easy) method.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:18 am

That has to be the most well detailed canopy roof in history haha. I thought it was great with just the rust effect... only got better!

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:45 am

Thanks members. I'm really pleased with the way it came out. :D
Even before the greens added, just the greys, orange and white did look good for rusty sheets. I might have to remember that! :)

@ luckymucklebackit.
No I have not tried pastel chalks although I have been thinking about them for weathering wagons. Need to get hold of some for some expriments. :wink:
My painting is all done with acrylics and with that said....
@ minipix.
This way it's easy to layer them up and they dry very quickly so you can get onto the next colour.
Plus my methods for painting vary and these methods really do make a diffecerence how they come out.
Full flat colour is easier to just spray on like the grey undercoat I give mostly everything I paint. The top layers as mentioned are via washes, dry brushing or full paint stippled, dabbed or daubed on.

glencairn...how's that for 50p extra? :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:35 pm

End2end wrote:
glencairn...how's that for 50p extra? :lol:
Thanks
End2end

You are getting there. :lol:

Seriously -- Excellent work. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Oh go on then glencairn....45p to you. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:34 pm

Now the canopy is glued to the main building so heres some more pictures with all (internal and external) lights on.

NewLinkaStation38sm.jpg
NewLinkaStation38sm.jpg (74.41 KiB) Viewed 650 times

NewLinkaStation39sm.jpg
NewLinkaStation39sm.jpg (73.02 KiB) Viewed 650 times

NewLinkaStation42sm.jpg
NewLinkaStation42sm.jpg (84.65 KiB) Viewed 650 times

NewLinkaStation43sm.jpg
NewLinkaStation43sm.jpg (105.44 KiB) Viewed 650 times

NewLinkaStation45sm.jpg
NewLinkaStation45sm.jpg (54.96 KiB) Viewed 650 times

The camera has made the lights look a lot more yellow than they actually are.
I am debating wether to add the extra details (chimnies, finials etc) yet or wait until I have somewhere on the layout to put it.
I have had the idea for most of my buildings that I will improve/increase the detailing on them all even more when they can sit securely on the layout.
Things like those mentioned before plus things like drain pipes etc.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:21 pm

How cool is that! Everything looks like its been laid piece by piece and slate by slate. I especially like those lead frame windows. And the lightings fantastic. If you dont finish it now I guess it gives you a job for a rainy day in the future.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:55 pm

Thanks for your comments joshv8. :D
The lead frame windows were actually bought as a loose sheet.
They can be seen on this sale, picture 4 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Rai ... rk:76:pf:0

The roof is still too shiny after I fixed it with hairspray so will need to be painted over somewhat. I tried sanding it a little but it didnt give me the flat look I wanted.
Other things to do is add some posters and timetables, people and I'm not sure if I want to stick a bench to the outside or just place it on the platform in front of the building. The platforms will be made using the new linka/scalecast stone platform moulds which I already have.
Also to add is the "fascia" boards (or whatever they are called) to the ends of the roof where the finials (which I will make from toothpicks) will be glued.
As you can imagine, one gentle knock and the finials will break off thus leaving them off until the layouts ready for the buildings.

I can't emphasize enough how versitle Linka/Scalecast really is. :D
As you mentioned the roof, imagine trying to lay that amount of single tiles! :shock: :lol:
The hardest part of the build was trying to channel out the balsa for the lighting wires on the canopy without going right the way through.
I could have made the canopy using a framework of seperate peices of balsa but as your not going to see it so it would have been a fruitless and long winded excersize let alone then threading the wires through the framework which might be seen.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks for the link!
Im very impressed with the look of the Linka products. I might have to look into it a bit more just for fun.

Might I suggest just using powders to tone down the gloss level on your roof? You could perhaps try spraying a matt aerosol clear over the top but even they can be a bit glossy at times.
Matt paint has a matting additive that while the paint dries, floats to the surface and sits there to block the gloss level. A lot of aerosol and acylic/ enamel products dry too quickly to allow sufficient time for the matting agent to all get to the surface.... and some simply dont have enough. If you use a matt aerosol to save recolouring that lovely looking roof, sometimes a few quick flicks over of dry dusty coats cheats the matt look.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:11 pm

Ahh yes weathering powders! :idea:
I dont have any in my modellers tool kit yet. I must have a look at them and how they work.

One of the good things about scalecast / linka, unlike spending the cost of a kit that will make one model, with linka you can make as many models, and different ones as many times as you like / have enough the moulds for / have the powder for.
They are solid and won't warp. You can make them even stronger with internal walls and floors and the insides are usually MUCH smoother then say any of Hornbys pre-made buildings (not the kits). I bought certain pre-made models only to directly sell them on as the inside walls looked like caves or were plastered by a blind man. :?
Scenix is the same. All the windows are solid so you cannot see throught them. No good for someone like me who likes to add internal details.
Plus, on a lot of pre-made buildings I've noticed that the windows aren't glued in straight. Useless! :roll:
I think the best pre-made buildings I've come across personally (they may be more manufacturers I have not looked at) are Bachmann.

As I started with specific kits that I didn't think I could make and do justice to (signal box, curved roof stores/warehouse) moving up (or down depending on your view) to linka was easy.
No messy glues needed, only pva.
I've even helped young children in my family to make a small house each. Thats how easy linka is. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:17 pm

Ahh yes weathering powders! :idea:
I dont have any in my modellers tool kit yet. I must have a look at them and how they work

If you want to get an idea of how they work, get a few granules of instant coffee, crush them between two spoons then rub the powder into the crevices and corners on a wagon. If you like the effect invest in some weathering powders, if you don't a quick rinse under a tap and dab it dry. One of my wagons is lurking somewhere still with coffee weathering that I tried a couple of years ago.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:48 am

Great tip Bufferstop, although most of my wagons are weathered but I can try it on a car. :idea: :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:24 am

Yes Ive got a bachmann scenecraft coaling stage and its pretty good. All the hornby skaledale stuff I have though looks nice but its rubbish... horribly out of square all over. Thats why I decided to build my own terraced houses/shops. The skaledale ones dont fit together!

For weathering powders I usually buy artists pastels and shave them down with a razor blade.

Gonna try some charcoal from the bbq I think

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”