St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
End2end

Re: St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Postby End2end » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:28 pm

Peterm wrote:For the drivers, I've gone back to putting a piece of cloth wetted with ipa across the track and letting the wheels clean themselves by spinning on it. Then there's the other wheels...

TOP TIP!! :idea: :idea:
Thanks Peterm. :mrgreen:
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:32 pm

End2end wrote:
Peterm wrote:For the drivers, I've gone back to putting a piece of cloth wetted with ipa across the track and letting the wheels clean themselves by spinning on it. Then there's the other wheels...

TOP TIP!! :idea: :idea:
Thanks Peterm. :mrgreen:
End2end

At your service. :)
Pete.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:56 pm

Slowly but surely the cottage kit is coming together. There are many parts and the instructions are lacking in detail but I've completed adding all the glazing to the many window frames and glued them into position.
I need to spray one of the sprues over with black this time as that will be the final colour coat. These are the parts that will be the first couple of brick courses. I cannot start gluing the main walls together until these lower parts are added in place as some walls have the brick courses and other walls don't but are the same height.

There are other sprues in the kit which I may need to cut into certain sections to spray only certain parts, such as the apex's of the 2 thatched roofs which are also on the same sprue as the tiled window sills and other items that need to be another colour.

The weathers holding up any spraying outside anyway and it's just too overpowering to do inside, so I will continue with the kit as permits.
Hopefully I'll add some pictures of my progress so far, tomorrow.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:38 pm

I managed to order the final piece of flexi-track on Friday I need to complete the better sidings plan and I've run a few tests checking for any shorts on the newly laid sidings and all seems to be working fine. :)
I'll need to cut the flexi-track piece into 3 pieces when it arrives for 3 sidings, which when laid will complete the layout.
Happy days. :D
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:48 pm

End2end wrote:Well procrastination is the enemy of us all. I missed out on the kit I wanted to buy by about a minute. :roll: But can reveal the kit was a Kibri 8330.
I thought it looked very English, which seems to be rare from European manufacturers and being HO would fit on the layout albeit away from other OO buildings.
kibri8330.jpg
I will be going to a toy/train fair on November 1st so will have a look to see if any of the sellers has this kit.
Funny thing though, I could barely find any reference to the kit online anywhere.

In the meantime I have made a couple more Linka platforms with still many to be cast, received the Dapol chassis's and have committed 4 more wagons to track. I need to get 1 more Dapol chassis and some more Hornby spoked wheels to finish the last 2.
Thanks
End2end

Well, not cheap but here you have two of them:

https://www.ebay.nl/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... 0&_sacat=0

Daniel

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:58 pm

One of my later posts reveal that the kit was relisted and I won it. :lol:
Thanks for those listings though Daniel. I copied all the pictures to get overall views of the finished kit. :idea:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:36 pm

End2end wrote:One of my later posts reveal that the kit was relisted and I won it. :lol:
Thanks for those listings though Daniel. I copied all the pictures to get overall views of the finished kit. :idea:
Thanks
End2end

Well, I like to play in your yard (thread) but I don't read everything. :oops:

Daniel

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:12 pm

I received my final Dapol WCHASS10 chassis for Christmas that I needed, so last night I set about adding the chassis to the final wagon that needed one.
I thought I needed to buy more Hornby 8 spoked wheel sets but found a few in a drawer whilst looking for something else so added them to the wagon at the same time.
Now the wagon is running freely and is the final wagon of the whole fleet to change a chassis on. Mission accomplished. :D
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:56 pm

Yesterday I laid the final 2 pieces of track needed to complete the added sidings. Now there is only one piece left but that's a replacement for a broken track piece rather then a new or extended siding.
It's all been soldered, wired and tested and all is working as it should.

Due to the amount of time track cleaning takes, I have been thinking about those axle hanging track cleaning pads again, but some of the point motor pins protrude above the tie bar holes on the points and I'm wondering if the pads will catch on them? I did try to cut them as close as possible to the tie bar but the cutters are quite wide.
Think that's all for now.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:17 pm

I was giving all my loco's a good stretch at the weekend, or playing trains, whichever way you look at it :lol: and I had a derailment of a Dapol van. The coupling hook became dislodged so I picked up the van and the hook dropped to the floor. I've dragged out everything and cannot find the hook as if it's just disappeared into thin air. Bleeding Dapol flaccid couplings drive me mad. So that's another thing to fix. :roll:

I've been so busy I haven't had the time to do any modelling as such although I've have now laid out some of the buildings to their approximate locations including on the new sidings and have started to mark out where I'll need to drill holes for the lighting wiring of each.
The overall scenery side of things is still in my head while I consider the immediate scenery around the buildings now temporarily placed on the layout.
I need to gather some pictures of yards etc to see what type of ground covering I'd like for each.
I went passed Bodium and Robertsbridge on the Kent and East Sussex Railway yesterday. I should have stopped and taken some pictures. :roll:
Time to dig out some reference material. :idea:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:19 pm

I don't have any Dapol stock so don't know if the coupling hook is plastic or metal.

If the latter then "sweeping" the area with a magnet tied to a stick might be successful?

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:29 pm

If you mean the hook on a Dapol tension lock coupling, I'm pretty sure it's metal. Yeah the carpet monster swallows many a small part - now my daughter is at uni I have to give up on finding some things :lol:. I'm also seriously considering, when I 're-purpose' our family room into a railway room, changing the carpet to laminate or lino . . . :D

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:33 pm

I have found luck sometimes by moving a torch over the area and watching for the reflection - that’s assuming it has some shine!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:39 pm

If it's metal, sweep the floor with a magnet
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:05 pm

May not work! Dapol aren't too particular as to what they stamp their coupling hooks from. Some are obviously steel, so can be retrieved with a magnet, other times it's low grade brass, no chance. Unless you can get it down to just above absolute zero, when just about everything becomes magnetic.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”