St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
End2end

Re: St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Postby End2end » Wed May 06, 2020 5:06 pm

And thanks once again PNP! Resetting back to default worked. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed May 06, 2020 7:41 pm

good news 8)

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue May 12, 2020 2:07 pm

This last week I have been designing the shape and size of the new control panel I need.
For my previous laser cut control panel, I asked a company to make me one to my specifications and will contact them about making my new version.
They sell various laser cut model railway items on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/graingeandho ... 7675.l2562
Although I may contact them directly - https://www.graingeandhodder.co.uk/stor ... ducts.html

First I need to raise the funds and I am yet to design the actual front panel.
For the track lines I have been hunting high and low for 2mm brown tape to no avail. The nearest I can get is 3mm on a 50 metre roll at roughly £7.
I won't need anywhere near that much but I need to buy the control panel first so the tape can wait.

Last night I measured up the length of the platforms I will need and it works out to 10 Linka straight platforms plus 2 for the station building.
I have cast some already but need to dig them out to see how many I have left to cast. Once all the straights are complete I am thinking to glue them to a long piece of wood underneath so that each platform will be more rigid than just plaster.

I have in mind to run a path from the end of the outer platform to the dead end sidings at the station to give foot access to what may be a loco shed or some such building with appropriate "passengers must not go beyond this point" signage at the top of the platform end slope.

I am still undecided if I will try to implement some sort of control panel indication as to which way the 5 surface mount point motors are thrown, although in the mean time I have counted up all the points and point motors only to find I still need to buy 2 more SEEP PM1s.
I will go extending things! :roll: :lol:

I think that's about all for the moment.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

heda

Postby heda » Tue May 12, 2020 2:57 pm

Take a look on ebay for 'nail art tape' I'm not sure what widths it comes in but I used some a while ago for pin stripe lines on Scalextric cars.
Dave

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu May 21, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks Heda I'll check those out. :wink:
In the meantime, not having anything hard enough to cut the point motor pins just yet, I have been designing the control panel layout.
Hopefully I will be able to temporarily position it and use it as a guide for drilling the holes for the switches. The LED's, I decided, will be placed where they will fit so are not on the plan.
NewControlPanelsm.jpg
NewControlPanelsm.jpg (48.11 KiB) Viewed 334 times

I still have the majority of the point motors to install but having nothing to cut the pins with that are sticking up through the track and no control panel yet means I cannot even run trains at the moment. I'm also raising more funds to pay for all the extra items I need.
Hard cutters, bespoke control panel, brown tape, 2 more SEEP PM1's, More switches. I think that's all. :? :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu May 21, 2020 11:24 pm

I use the same tape for road markings, or you might find some car stripes at a reasonable price. Else use, aluminium sheet or thin (2-3mm) ply wood print the diagram and cover with stick on plastic sheet or thin acetate, use this for some idea's viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44849&start=195#p637754
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:43 pm

I received a reply from grainge and hodder today about my new control panel design and they will cut it and post it in kit form for £43.99. :D
Here's the rough design.
ControlPanelDesign.jpg
ControlPanelDesign.jpg (69.87 KiB) Viewed 231 times

I've bought the brown nail tape I needed for marking the control panel and the point motor pin cutters so I have been slowly trying to install some of the easier to get to seep's. It's quite an awkward job although the point motor alignment tool is helping no end.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do when it come to the seep's that need installing on already ballasted track, as the tool does not work with ballasted track, although the main large hole for the point motors pin has already been drilled through the baseboard before the points were laid.

One thing that needs to be done regardless is track cleaning!!
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:52 pm

I managed to get the control panel diagram printed on A3 (not actual size) yesterday and realised a glaring error.
There's is track joined up on the diagram where it shouldn't be, so today I fixed the full size digital diagram and will get it reprinted onto A3 again so I can scribble notes on it.
Apart from that I have been playing trains and thinking about the different areas of the layout and how I'd like them scenically.
I'd like a road bridge to cross the double tracks before they enter into a tunnel, perhaps on a slant but I just don't like anything commercially available even in kit form by what I've found so far. The majority of the bridges are for track(s) OVER something, be it a road or river, rather then under. Plus it needs to look like stone rather than brick built.
I've traversed, Surrey, Sussex (East and West), Kent,Hampshire and Wiltshire in the last few months trying to find something suitable to photograph perhaps as a prototype but to no avail. Although not specifically looking for road bridges and most are impossible to get to if there's a working line underneath. So the search continues on that front.

Also I have been thinking about my backscene which will be roughly 19-20 feet long including the sides. I've decided to actually try to create my own using photographs I will take next time I am in Cornwall. I know the kind of scene I want it is just a case of finding the right high spot to take the photo's from then joining them up in software and finding a company to print it on one roll.
Think that's it for the moment.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:02 pm

Better to spot the error now than when its 'too late' :D

Re an overbridge, I used a Langley one that I think is stone and designed to span 00 double track - though I used it to span one O-16.5 track at an angle. Photos on my layout thread . . .

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:54 pm

I did see that one while searching PNP but thought it was way too flimsy plus the need for additional parts. The bachmann Scenecraft Weybourne road bridge is also a good style but it's too wide with three arches and too expensive to make a mistake trying to cut the extra 2 arches off.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:28 pm

What sort of bridge would you like specifically? Something like a hump back bridge? Or girder sides? Or something more traditional? Trying hard to picture what you need.

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:42 am

I'll try and sketch one out dan.

In the meantime I have been working on finalising the control panel layout. I think this is it although I may move the LED's closer to each switch once I have it in front of me and worked out whats what.
Black squares are the switches, red and green squares are the LED's.
NewControlPanel7 2020sm.jpg

Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:41 am

Drill some holes in a scrap bit of wood and test a switch install, I think you will find the leds are too close on the cross overs, don forget you have to get a nut and a spanner in, on the switch!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

heda

Postby heda » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:04 am

You could have a go at scratch building a bridge, make a mock up with old card first, if it looks right make it with mounting card and clad it with something like Slaters plasticard, or could you make one using your Linka moulds ? There's nothing to lose by giving it a go
Dave

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:54 am

heda wrote:You could have a go at scratch building a bridge, make a mock up with old card first, if it looks right make it with mounting card and clad it with something like Slaters plasticard, or could you make one using your Linka moulds ? There's nothing to lose by giving it a go
Dave

and to follow heda's suggestion.

If you do make such a bridge I bet you will be proud of the achievement and move on to making other things. :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”