St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
End2end

Re: St. Blazey's - My first layout - Stage 3 Building

Postby End2end » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:02 pm

The free wood turned up yesterday evening so today I set about building what I had in mind to extend my desk.
I'm no good at woodwork but by using a mitre saw, clamping the wood in place to get straight cuts I don't think it came out too bad. :)

Before...... Not enough space and a blooming mess! :roll:
Desk1sm.jpg

Here is the extension I built to screw to the desk.
Desk2sm.jpg

Here it is screwed to the desk. The clamps in the picture are holding on a glued "lip" of wood while it dries. This will stop anything falling off the top shelf. I made the extension wider than the desk and surround that I previously screwed to the desk so as not to lose any desktop space.
Desk4sm.jpg

Another shot of the front. The paint brushes in my home made pot clear the underside of the lower shelf... as designed. :mrgreen:
Desk5sm.jpg
Desk5sm.jpg (90.79 KiB) Viewed 1143 times

Here is a picture of the back. I also added a piece of wood to the back of the original horizontal moving shelf. Again to stop anything falling off. It is the shorter piece just above the higher metal work.
Desk6sm.jpg
Desk6sm.jpg (88.45 KiB) Viewed 1143 times

More to follow...
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:13 pm

A while ago I bought a "St. Blazey" depot sticker for the front of the layout before I realised the seller would make them up to your requirements.
I then put in an order for some bespoke "St. Blazey's" stickers so this left the original redundant so I have stuck it on the side of the desk extension. :D
Desk7sm.jpg
Desk7sm.jpg (73.85 KiB) Viewed 1143 times

I also have a metal GWR plate for the front of the layout but it has been stuck in the envelope it came in, so I screwed this on the other side of the desk extension temporarily to look at and enjoy until I remove it to screw to the layout.
Desk8sm.jpg
Desk8sm.jpg (85.13 KiB) Viewed 1143 times

Hopefully the larger space will keep things a bit more tidy and at hand rather than rifling among a load of stuff on a desktop. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:39 pm

MMMmm Thoughts ?
A desk top should never be too tidy
And a layout's never finished
Hattons invoices a secret !!

Then life is bliss ....

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:06 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Hattons invoices a secret !!

And Gaugemaster. And Ebay. And local model shop. And Kernow. And Wilko's. And.....the poundland one's don't matter. :lol:

My Hornby Weslyan chapel turned up around 6pm yesterday. It's smaller than I predicted but perfect for the layouts ecumenical matter!
Yes! :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:40 pm

I managed to win the other specific Cornish region building I was after off the bay tonight.
The Helston Engine Shed from Bachmann/Scenecraft comissioned by Kernow Model Rail Centre. (Usually £59.99 + p+p) for £49.95inc p+p new and boxed.
I have been visiting Helston for years and have family living there so have a close affinty with the area and am very pleased. :mrgreen:
The station went long ago under the Beeching cuts but when next I am there I might do a bit of looking around for anything that may be left. :idea:
There is one more pre-made building I'd like at £39.99 which is also new commision for Kernow from Bachmann / Scenecraft which is the 44-125Z Cornish Terraced Cottages.
Once I get to the scenery of my layout all the Cornish region specific buildings will hopefully place the layout in the intended area just by look. :)

When looking for a picture of the engine shed from the web to add to this post I also found more Helston specific buildings in 7mm (O gauge?) if anyone is interested.
http://s839.photobucket.com/user/robbur ... t=3&page=1
He also has many specific buildings for other stations, signal boxes and regions.
No affiliation.....just a stumbled upon accident.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:47 pm

I decided that the new desk attachment needed one more support along the back so I could stand taller things on the desk without them falling over the rear. So yesterday I cut and screwed the support onto the desk and now have slightly rearranged my workspace giving me a better feel to work at.
With that done and 3 semi-finished projects on the go I decided to add the final passengers into my 6th and final 4 wheel coach. I still need to solder the pick up spring to one of the wires for the lighting. I had another go at spraying the roof white with the same spray I used before after a vigorous shake for well over 2 minutes but didn't realise it was as good as empty so this final coach will have to wait for completetion until I can get some proper white spray paint. The £land one was rubbish. :roll:
Whilst I had the figures out I started to add more passengers into the Intercity coaches. These all needed butchery as they will not sit right unless you at least cut thier feet off. OUCH!
I am almost out of painted figures so I then set up a small prodution line using a couple of 4 inch peices of wood with black / blu-tac stuck to them along the longest side giving me an easy way to hold the figures while I painted them.
As they are all seated passengers that I am painting I pushed them into the blu-tac, then leant them forward so it is easy to paint the back. As most will have to be amputated I didnt worry about the underneath or backs of legs too much, just painting as much as seemingly probably and what I could actually get to with the paint brush.
My idea is to just use one main colour for each small batch, adding different shades and extra details to single figures later on so I have started off using black and brown as my layout is mainly set in the past.
I have already added some small details to one or 2 in the form of hair colour. Some have already gone grey. :lol:

Here's everything together on my desk.
Passengers1sm.jpg
Passengers1sm.jpg (99.67 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

And here is the production line of passenger painting showing the peices of 4 inch wood with black and blu-tac stuck down.
Passengers2sm.jpg
Passengers2sm.jpg (106.54 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

I also cleaned half the track so I can run things again but ran out of kitchen roll that I was using to clean. :roll: Typical.
Also the Bachmann/Kernow Helston engine shed turned up today and will definatly need the insides painted as light leaks through the building walls.
I will paint them black followed by a coat of light grey I think. This will colour the inside roughly what it already comes as.

Looking at the inside of my Hornby Weslyn chapel, it is really rough compared to the insides of bachmann moulded buildings so I am not sure wether I will add internal details albeit there wouldn't be much to look at. Weselyn (the proper way to spell it. Where do Hornby get thier strange ideas from?? :shock: ) chapels are very sparse. Perhaps just some pews and an alter.
That plus the Hornby chapel has a small circular hole in the bottom not a fully exposed bottom making it hard to get inside.
That does raise a question though. Has anyone tried to cut through a Hornby resin cast model to open it up further or would it just disintegrate?

Also in this morning are 2 red and 2 white bachmann lamps. I want to add proper powered lights on my brake vans but boy are these SMALL.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:02 pm

End2end wrote:Has anyone tried to cut through a Hornby resin cast model to open it up further or would it just disintegrate?

Expanding the hole is no problem, the cast is very strong and will not be weakened, but it takes a lot of time and burr bit to do it.
Pic here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44849&start=105#p628691
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Thanks for the answer Timbersurf.
Since I posted I have thought on it and think that I may just leave it unfurnished and unlit. Trying to paint round the mess Hornby made of the internal of the chapel is akin to cave painting. :lol:
Instead I have had the idea for it to concentrate on it's siting and immediate scenery. I looked but unfortunatly don't have a board of balsa wide enough to site it.
What I want to do is sit it on a flat plate of balsa then add matchsticks around, but not touching the bottom edge of the walls. This will be a stone drainage channel running round the complete edge of the chapel terminating each side of the front steps.
On the side walls at the front are 2 moulded on vertical drainpipes which will line up with the drainage channel and I will add an open drain cover under each drainpipe.
Beyond these matchsticks on the baseplate I will add light mixed shingle scatter. I will also sand down the edge of the balsa plate so it will sit smoothly anywhere and perhaps add a notice board. Weselyn chapels do not usually have a cross outside. I am still undecided as to painting the small amount of blue on the door and front facias, green. The blue seems somewhat frivolous.
Hopefully this will be sympathetic to the nature of Weselyn buildings. Very sparse and no frills.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:55 am

Hi E2E,

Not sure if it helps, but, I once cut up a Hornby tunnel entrance to fit a gap. I used a razor saw. Cut it quite well. I know what you are cutting may not be easy to get at, but it can be cut. I guess a dremel or similar may work.

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:20 am

The last few days have mainly been more passenger painting.
I decided that my production line was not large enough so I set about finding other things I could use to sit more passengers on while I painted them.
Here's some pictures of the end results.
Passengers3sm.jpg
Passengers3sm.jpg (135.49 KiB) Viewed 964 times

Passengers4sm.jpg
Passengers4sm.jpg (101.27 KiB) Viewed 964 times

Passengers5sm.jpg
Passengers5sm.jpg (84.22 KiB) Viewed 964 times

Passengers6sm.jpg
Passengers6sm.jpg (94.23 KiB) Viewed 964 times

I used Wilko's acrylic tester pots mixed to various shades for the clothes and Revell Email-Color (thier spelling not mine) Matt 35 enamel paint for the skin tone. My usual skin tone colour.
These painted passengers will hopefully be enough to finish my final short 4 wheel coach, the 2 Intercity coaches and another 2 full length GWR coaches I have which I have not even started to improve yet. If not I do have a few unpainted ones left over.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:38 am

Also as a side project I have started work on my new Bachmann Scenecraft 44-062Y Helston engine shed.
I checked to see the light leakage first and the walls do indeed leak the light. To combat this I have painted the inside with 2 coats of black followed by 3 coats of grey that is almost the same as the inital grey the insides were painted in anyway that I have in stock.
First the interior already painted with the black.
HES1sm.jpg
HES1sm.jpg (84.7 KiB) Viewed 963 times

The final inside interior shot with all coats painted.
HES2sm.jpg
HES2sm.jpg (77.38 KiB) Viewed 963 times

I also noticed that the black smoke residue above the entrance was quite shiny so I tried to matt-ify it with a little dry brushed black.
HES3sm.jpg
HES3sm.jpg (105.19 KiB) Viewed 963 times

HES4sm.jpg
HES4sm.jpg (89.81 KiB) Viewed 963 times

The original factory painting of the guttering around the building looks like it was at first sprayed upon by the roof colour, so the inside of the guttering was actually grey like the roof so I used a very thin long bristled brush to build up some black wash blackening the inside of the guttering as it should be.

I looked at the Weselyn chapel and that is the same so I've also painted the inside of that buildings guttering too.

My next tasks will be to get out my 2 GWR coaches to work out how to light them, glue the passengers into all the rolling stock that needs them, design and build the Helston engine sheds lighting rig interior and add BK uncoupling method staples to a few items that need them.

It's a shed Jim......but not as we know it! :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:08 pm

Looking good, I always have to go through a simlar process to stop light beefing out the walls.

I find that if I like the finish of something, and don't want to add to it, however it has a shine or glue marks, I use a blast of humbrol mat varnish.

Acylic dries in seconds but is prone to leave a white residue on the finish sometimes, often this can add to the effect but if it's over black like a loco for example, it can ruin it. Or the enamel mat spray will give you what you want but takes a while to go off.

Coops
Derby Friargate GN

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:31 pm

A massive error has ocurred. I've designed the layout larger than the room! :evil:
Somehow I need to shrink it slightly to fit under 11.75 feet from 12' 1".
I may need to cut back some of the 2 main line tracks on the initial 8 foot wide front baseboard and have the curves starting on the front baseboard, crossing the 2 baseboards break/join.
I think this is only possible at one end too as the station platforms sit at the start of the curve at the other end.
B0110%£S!
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:41 am

OK I've done some more calculations.
If I drop down to 2nd and 3rd radii this will give me roughly 5 inches back. This gives me 2 end baseboards of 22 inches width.
If I make the end baseboards 20 inches wide instead of 22, using the method of cutting back 2 inches from each end of the straight tracks on the front baseboard, crossing the join with curved track, that gives me 11' 4" (136 inches), JUST under the 11' 75" (141 inches) of the room width.
If I can steal another inch from one baseboard I can make the baseboards 20" and 19" that will give me just a tiny bit more to play with to get the baseboards into position.

The depth of the end baseboards will be roughly 58.5 inches front to back to connect to the front and rear 8 foot long baseboards and the smaller front extensions.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:14 pm

Well moving the wall 2.5 inches was never going to happen. :lol:
The measurements for the 3 new baseboards have been passed on and hopefully I should have them arriving pre-made soon.
Where and how I am going to bolt them together is still undecided and I am not sure how I will support them.
At the moment the initial baseboard sits on and overhangs the end of the dining table and the floor is somewhat uneven so I think I would need adjustable feet or something. I have looked at builders trestles but they are very expensive for the amount I would need. Even 2 per baseboard would mean having to buy 8 and 2 of the 4 baseboards are 8 feet long.
Would these need 3?
Bolting anything to the wall is a no-no.
How have you supported your free standing baseboards?

I doubt very much ever exhibiting the layout but futureproofing means that IF we ever move it can be dismantled into the 4 boards so easier to handle/move.

Moving on, I have started the internal / removable lighting rig for the Helston engine shed but along with the Intercity coaches, I need some long veroboard to span the distance from front to rear (and end to end of the coaches) to carry the LED's and power.
I found some on ebay which is perfect but the seller is away until the 26th (tommorrow) so I haven't had the chance to buy it yet.
I need to add more balsa to the rig to hold the veroboard and also paint it the same colour as the engine shed walls to hide it somewhat.

I also did a rough calculation on Hattons for the rest of the track I need and it totals around £130. :shock:
Don't think of the price.....Think of the cleaning!! :shock: :shock: :lol:
I've left the last 4 wheel coach until I need the iron out for a time when I am doing the other soldering which won't be long once I have the veroboard I need.
Last night I won the First Steps in Railway Modelling the Bachmann Way book by Cyril Freezer & Nick Freezer for a measly £2.80.
I already have the First Steps in Railway Modelling by Cyril Freezer book so wonder what the difference is?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”