My first ever model railway build.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
PinkNosedPenguin

Re: My first ever model railway build.

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat May 07, 2016 10:04 am

Install an air conditioner? :lol: :lol: :lol:

castlespitfire

Postby castlespitfire » Sat May 07, 2016 9:13 pm

Very nice work indeed Marcus. If that is your first one it is very good. Everything looks very well made with a lot of thought gone into it.
Where the track has bent (if nobody has answered already) If you cut out a small section and replace it leaving 1mm gap at rail joints you should be able to return the track to the correct straight line again. If it has happened just repeat the process and that should sort it. Sheds do get very hot maybe adding some vents to give some airflow would solve the problem. Certainly I would think some insulation would also help on walls and roof.
It was working yesterday last time I used it................... John

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun May 08, 2016 8:41 am

TimberSurf wrote:Marcus
Dont downsize/move, you would regret it!
a. This only happens on "trapped" track i.e. one end not free, the shorter the trap (the more likely), hence its the short piece between the points in your case.
b. As only tacked down, free to move, note the ballasted parts(glued down) less likely to warp.

Tricks to avoid this:-
1. Allways leave 1-2mm gap between rail ends (Diagonal cut helps wheel transition)
2. Glue and ballast track
3. Fit (2 offf) ventilation in shed (louvre, with shutter for winter) open in summer
4. fit blinds/curtains to shed window (and shut when ever not in shed). Direct sunlight is radiant heat that will absorb easily, will also fade structures and scenery
Thx for your advice. I'm all sorted now. I uplifted the effected track and re layed with a 1mm gap between the joins. The track had only expanded by approx 1mm but does make a difference when trapped at both ends. All the ballasted track was 100% with the gaps between joints still evident (more than enough to fit my finger nail in). Luckily, my shed is located in the corner of my south facing garden with windows facing away from the sun so no actual direct sun through windows. Shed is insulated to keep shed warmer in the winter but downside I suppose is it keeps heat in during the summer, I'm going to fit blinds anyway, security reasons being another factor, and look at ways of adding some some of ventilation as it's pretty much air tight with no circulation. Bit of a relief, problem not as bad at it first looked and I'm back on track :D

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun May 08, 2016 8:45 am

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Install an air conditioner? :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it wasn't for the running costs, not really a bad idea. All sorted now though. :D :D

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun May 08, 2016 8:52 am

castlespitfire wrote:Very nice work indeed Marcus. If that is your first one it is very good. Everything looks very well made with a lot of thought gone into it.
Where the track has bent (if nobody has answered already) If you cut out a small section and replace it leaving 1mm gap at rail joints you should be able to return the track to the correct straight line again. If it has happened just repeat the process and that should sort it. Sheds do get very hot maybe adding some vents to give some airflow would solve the problem. Certainly I would think some insulation would also help on walls and roof.
Many thx for your tips castlespitfire, I've re layed effected track with expansion gaps and looking into some kind of ventilation. It's all good again now, Phew, ( just a few weeks ago I was moaning it was too cold in the shed) :lol: :lol:

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun May 08, 2016 8:54 am

railwayjim wrote:This must be so frustrating for you Marcus, after all the sterling work you have put in
to create your great layout. Not really sure what to say, other than hope you can sort it out
and get back to finishing your layout.

Jim.
All sorted now, and back on track. :lol:

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sun May 08, 2016 7:54 pm

Really glad you have solved your buckling problem Marcus,
we can now look forward to the next area you are planning for the layout.

Jim.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Tue May 10, 2016 7:29 am

railwayjim wrote:Really glad you have solved your buckling problem Marcus,
we can now look forward to the next area you are planning for the layout.

Jim.
Thx Jim. It was initially a huge disappointment but was relatively little work putting it right. I haven't touched the layout, build wise, for a couple weeks due to work commitments. I'm just in the process of assembling some wind turbines for my wind farm, not going to be that difficult to model as you find these simply standing in a field, but should add a little interest to the scenery. :D

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Thu May 12, 2016 1:36 am

Found these turbine kits, really pleased with them as I've been looking for a while. Looking forward to modelling my wind farm once I've completed remaining ballesting. :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
Been looking for these for a while.
image.jpeg (136.94 KiB) Viewed 797 times
image.jpeg
Happy with how they look.
image.jpeg (139.5 KiB) Viewed 797 times

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:27 am

Hi Marcus,

Track movement like you have is heat expansion, but NOT usually from the rails.
The plastic has a coefficient of expansion anything up to 4 times that of the metal
rails.
Usually - (a vague standard I'll admit), when the track is fully ballasted in with a good
strong PVA/water mix the peco webb that joins the sleepers together will expand up
under the rail (a small void) and not show, or reveal it'self.
I once had a section where I'd only ballasted the 6 foot and expansion pinged it out.
Eventually shrunk back and after all the outer shoulders were ballasted it's not moved
again. I'm sitting here looking at that curve now and you'd never know.

Geoff T
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Thu May 12, 2016 10:50 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Hi Marcus,

Track movement like you have is heat expansion, but NOT usually from the rails.
The plastic has a coefficient of expansion anything up to 4 times that of the metal
rails.
Usually - (a vague standard I'll admit), when the track is fully ballasted in with a good
strong PVA/water mix the peco webb that joins the sleepers together will expand up
under the rail (a small void) and not show, or reveal it'self.
I once had a section where I'd only ballasted the 6 foot and expansion pinged it out.
Eventually shrunk back and after all the outer shoulders were ballasted it's not moved
again. I'm sitting here looking at that curve now and you'd never know.

Geoff T
Hi Geoff.
I've spent a couple of hours continuing to ballest remaining track, with the warm weather fast approaching I want to get this done ASAP. I've sorted buckling issues but as you say, ballest does help prevent it from happening. Huge relief really as now I can crack on with layout. :) :)

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun May 22, 2016 8:03 pm

Today was one of those occasions when I had the house to myself so I spent it in the shed. For the third time I've changed the station area, I made the platforms longer and wider as my first attempt felt a little short and narrow. Like the lake on first build and farm on second, will be central to final build. Lots of detailing to be added, but if I can't get it to the level I'm happy with, I'll simply purchase the metcalfe station and platform kits. I'll see how it goes. Well, another hour tidying cables then it's off for a bar meal with the good lady. :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
Third change but I'll see how it looks later.
image.jpeg (129.73 KiB) Viewed 663 times

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Mon May 30, 2016 7:45 am

Had a busy day with the old soldering iron, placed droppers before and after every point. I wasn't sure if it was a little overkill, but it definitely helps with track continuity with even my little Jinty showing greatly
improved slow speed running. Obviously not quite as smooth as using electrofrog points but still a marked improvement. Today the plan is to carry out some more ballesting, solder up last few droppers and give shed a good clean up, it's looking a little like a builders yard :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
Time to get busy....
image.jpeg (136.31 KiB) Viewed 609 times

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon May 30, 2016 7:56 am

Looks like your in for a busy day Marcus. I wouldn't say it's overkill, if you
are happy to put in the hours and it aids good running go for it, the electrics
and track are the most important ingredients for a smooth running layout in my opinion.

After a morning's soldering you will be ready for a liquid lunch, especially in this weather.

Jim.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:48 pm

After a long couple of days I've completed the final ballesting and wired up all the droppers. I didn't get any comments on my last post regarding niggles about the station so that been secured in place ( no comments better than negative comments) I can look forward to cracking on now with the scenery which is what I really enjoy, ballesting can get a tad tedious albeit important. Got a birthday coming up so I've asked my dearest to put some rolling stock on the old birthday list. Going to spend a couple of hours placing more droppers on original build, as at the time, didn't realise just what difference they make to the operating performance. Busy busy. :D :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
Finally, all done.
image.jpeg (130.19 KiB) Viewed 561 times
image.jpeg
Busy day ballesting.
image.jpeg (133.69 KiB) Viewed 561 times

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”