My first ever model railway build.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: My first ever model railway build.

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:12 pm

Marcus wrote:Hi all. Just a quick question about ballesting.
I realise that about 70% of my layout has been ballasted, with first board track sitting on 4mm underlay. When I came to ballasting board 2, I secured directly without underlay because when I test ran my loco on first board with underlay it ran quieter, but once ballast had been applied and glued the noise level went back up again. This is why I haven't bothered with underlay on second or third board. Basically I'm just asking if anyone else found that the quietening properties of underlay being deminished once ballast applied, or is there a knack to ballasting I've overlooked?

Nope! This has been discussed a number of tims elsewhere with results exactly as you've experienced. Underlay reduces noise but if you're ballasting then underlay makes no difference whatsoever to noise levels.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:34 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:
I realise that about 70% of my layout has been ballasted, with first board track sitting on 4mm underlay. When I came to ballasting board 2, I secured directly without underlay because when I test ran my loco on first board with underlay it ran quieter, but once ballast had been applied and glued the noise level went back up again. This is why I haven't bothered with underlay on second or third board. Basically I'm just asking if anyone else found that the quietening properties of underlay being deminished once ballast applied, or is there a knack to ballasting I've overlooked?

Nope! This has been discussed a number of tims elsewhere with results exactly as you've experienced. Underlay reduces noise but if you're ballasting then underlay makes no difference whatsoever to noise levels.
Thx. That makes me feel better as most people use underlay, even though they intend to ballast the track and was beginning to think I was making a big mistake in not doing so.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:38 pm

Marcus wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:

Thx. That makes me feel better as most people use underlay even though they intend to ballast the track and I was beginning to think I was making a big mistake in not doing so.

Oranoco

Postby Oranoco » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:33 am

Nice to hear as I didn't bother with underlay. Seems a recurring theme.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:02 pm

Oranoco wrote:Nice to hear as I didn't bother with underlay. Seems a recurring theme.
My thoughts entirely :D

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:16 pm

I have researched this a great deal, and come to form an opinion, of the element your discussing, PVA glue is hard, so binds gravel and forms a sound bridge back to the board! The answer is to use diluted Copydex, as it hardens only to a rubbery consistancy

Interesting test http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/c-noise/index.htm
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:04 pm

TimberSurf wrote:I have researched this a great deal, and come to form an opinion, of the element your discussing, PVA glue is hard, so binds gravel and forms a sound bridge back to the board! The answer is to use diluted Copydex, as it hardens only to a rubbery consistancy

Interesting test http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/c-noise/index.htm
Hi. To be honest with you, I don't mind the noise as it doesn't distract me from enjoying the layout. It's not that noticeable really, not enough to be an issue. :D :D

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:13 pm

As a possible alternative, I did read of one chap who didn't glue down his ballast, but instead had regular "real" tamping trains running to keep everything in order. Presumably not an exhibition layout...
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:37 pm

I've ended up with sections like that in the past, but not by design.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:50 pm

:hellosign: Finished work a little early today so I thought I would have a couple of hours working on the layout. I've had ago on the small lane leading from the yard to the ménage, surprising how long just a small section can take to try and get it looking half decent. Got a 3am start in the morning so hopefully I'll get back early and crack on. Big exhibition next weekend so I'll be on the prowl for some detailing items, Nottingham had some great layouts but little in "bits and pieces" Night all :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
Just a small section of lane to see what it turns out like.
image.jpeg (189.79 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:36 am

Hi Marcus.
Looking good around the farm area, especially the lane.
What make are the gates and fences you're using?

RailywayRobbo

Pete

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:05 pm

RailwayRobbo wrote:Hi Marcus.
Looking good around the farm area, especially the lane.
What make are the gates and fences you're using?

RailywayRobbo

Pete
Hi. The fences are Ratio. The gates are made by a local chap near me who makes these using a laser printer, it's his intention to put them out for general sale once he's finished along with other items. These are his prototypes, they do look good so I'm going to get a few more over the weekend. I'm pleased with the farm so far, still a long way to go though. :D

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:57 pm

Yes the farm area does look good 8)
But please post those vans off to the next person on the N gauge tour - you are hogging them for far too long :o

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:10 pm

I do like things like a gate laying the weeds ......
Not said anything before, but coming on so very well.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:17 am

Dad-1 wrote:I do like things like a gate laying the weeds ......
Not said anything before, but coming on so very well.

Geoff T.
Thx D1
Loving the build. Farm will be my biggest challenge so far because it's so prominent on the layout. Having Said that, the station and surrounding area will probably push my skill level to the limit. Since the start of the build, my confidence level regarding applying scenery has grown but it's the "finer" detailing that possess the greater challenge as its this, that makes all the difference. :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”