My first ever model railway build.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Oranoco

Re: My first ever model railway build.

Postby Oranoco » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:58 pm

It's a credit to you, really.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:24 am

Many thanks.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:18 pm

Hi. A little while back I mentioned that I purchased of eBay some trees I decided not to use because I thought they were to dark and others to bright. I had a go at covering some in scatter more suitable in colour, I mixed them up a little and don't think they look to bad now. Was going to bin them but I'll see how they look once the rest of the scenery has been applied.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Was going to bin these but I'll see what they look like once scenery applied later.
image.jpeg (191.99 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:47 pm

:hellosign: House to myself again today so I thought I'd spend some time in the shed. Started building the farm using the good old metcalfe kit, I find building these nice and relaxing. As mentioned on a earlier post, I have made a little horsey field my wife requested, just got to make some various jumps to finish it off. Still loads to do, looking forward to adding the scenery around the farm hopefully bringing it to "life".
Nipping over to Nottingham tomorrow, visiting a model railway exhibition, so I'll be on the lookout for some detailing items for around the farm. It's all fun fun fun :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (151.4 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (173.41 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (168.88 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (152.33 KiB) Viewed 1002 times

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:05 am

Farm looks great - I remember building my own one 8)
I particularly like the gates and ornamental 'balls' either side.
Of course right now it all looks very clean and sterile, but I'm sure your forthcoming detailing will take care of that . . .

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:03 am

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Farm looks great - I remember building my own one 8)
I particularly like the gates and ornamental 'balls' either side.
Of course right now it all looks very clean and sterile, but I'm sure your forthcoming detailing will take care of that . . .
Thx PNP
I think the detailing of the farm will be my biggest challenge so far. The farm is an important feature on the layout and is quite prominent, so get this looking right can make or break the layout, so to speak. One modelling aspect that makes a huge difference that I'm not confident with is weathering using an air gun, I've seen images of old barns, engine sheds, track etc that look simply stunning, I'm a tad limited using just sponges and brushes but is definitely one aspect of modelling I'd like to master. Your layout is coming on superbly by the way, gets better and better. Hoping to spend a couple of more hours on layout later so may post another update later. :D :D

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi Marcus,
Really like the look of your farm set up. Once the ground cover goes in it will bring it all together.

As for weathering, I am sure you will get there, practice on some scrap, you will soon gain confidence.
I haven't used an air gun on Millsend, it's all powders and colour washes using acrylics.
Keep playing with your air gun, practice makes perfect as they say.

Looking forward to more updates.
Jim.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:40 pm

railwayjim wrote:Hi Marcus,
Really like the look of your farm set up. Once the ground cover goes in it will bring it all together.

As for weathering, I am sure you will get there, practice on some scrap, you will soon gain confidence.
I haven't used an air gun on Millsend, it's all powders and colour washes using acrylics.
Keep playing with your air gun, practice makes perfect as they say.

Looking forward to more updates.
Jim.
Thx Jim.
I think I will do just that. Even just practicing on a sheet of card will see if I can get the results I'm looking for. I'm happy with the farm so far but like you say, once I start with the ground cover should make a big difference. As usual I'll keep posting updates. :D

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:35 pm

I'd be very interested to see the results if you do any weathering to your Metcalfe kits - as you know I have several but have not attempted this yet :?

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:40 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:I'd be very interested to see the results if you do any weathering to your Metcalfe kits - as you know I have several but have not attempted this yet :?
I wouldn't mind seeing your farm if you still gave a picture or is it on your current layout?

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:13 pm

Yes its on my current layout - see some pictures here and here. In fact there is some discussion on weathering in that second link - but I have wimped out so far :?

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:20 pm

Like the farm a lot. That's the only regret I have about my layout 'PETERSDALE' that I didn't have room to put a farm somewhere. I didn't want to squeeze farm buildings into a limited space and take away the open rural look I wanted to achieve. Looking forward to seeing yours progress. Metcalfe kits really are excellent. Pete.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:44 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Yes its on my current layout - see some pictures here and here. In fact there is some discussion on weathering in that second link - but I have wimped out so far :?
Farm looks great. It's the little details that make all the difference, I've ordered some milk urns, barrels etc of eBay but what I'd really like is some old cart wheels, haven't managed to find any yet. Just got back from taking dog for a walk and picked up some dead twigs, I'll see what they look like as a log pile. The Nottingham show today was great, some cracking weathering effects, makes such a difference to the overall effect. Looking forward to giving it a go, you never know, might turn out ok.....Lol :D

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:54 pm

RailwayRobbo wrote:Like the farm a lot. That's the only regret I have about my layout 'PETERSDALE' that I didn't have room to put a farm somewhere. I didn't want to squeeze farm buildings into a limited space and take away the open rural look I wanted to achieve. Looking forward to seeing yours progress. Metcalfe kits really are excellent. Pete.
Hi Pete.
You have no farm but still a cracking layout. Metcalfe are brilliant, easy to build with excellent instructions and really look the part. Thx for your comment. :D

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:09 pm

Hi all. Just a quick question about ballesting.
I realise that about 70% of my layout has been ballasted, with first board track sitting on 4mm underlay. When I came to ballasting board 2, I secured directly without underlay because when I test ran my loco on first board with underlay it ran quieter, but once ballast had been applied and glued the noise level went back up again. This is why I haven't bothered with underlay on second or third board. Basically I'm just asking if anyone else found that the quietening properties of underlay being deminished once ballast applied, or is there a knack to ballasting I've overlooked?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”