My first ever model railway build.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Marcus

Re: My first ever model railway build.

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:12 pm

I wasn't sure how on how to blend the hill on first build into the middle section but I'm really pleased on how it looks. I'm feeling more confident as the build goes on, in fact some of my first attempts on start of build I'm not now happy with so I'll address those niggles later. I'm still toying on altering final section to incorporate an upper level similar to PNP's, just to add a little more interest to the layout, I'll put my thinking hat on later and see if it's possible. Happy days :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
Happy with how this blended both section together.
image.jpeg (164.05 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
Last edited by Marcus on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PinkNosedPenguin

Re: My first model railway build.

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:18 pm

The join in the hill between old and new boards looks seamless 8)
I can't believe how quickly your layout progresses - mine is very slow at the moment - though I did manage some ballasting today . . .

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:59 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:The join in the hill between old and new boards looks seamless 8)
I can't believe how quickly your layout progresses - mine is very slow at the moment - though I did manage some ballasting today . . .
Thx PNP. I'm spending more time in the shed now making up for lost time due to the cold. I also managed some more ballesting but ran out so until I nip over to my nearest model shop, I've hit the buffers...Lol

Memran

Postby Memran » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:15 pm

I agree with PNP: seamless! I love your use of the upper level too! :D

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:00 pm

Just got back from the show at Milton Keynes. I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped, it was packed solid and really difficult to see anything. I always like to look at other N gauge layouts in the flesh so to speak but didn't get that much of a chance. Purchased a few bits and pieces but that's about it. House to myself today so a good excuse to spend a few hours in the shed followed by a few episodes of Star Trek later...perfect :D

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:25 pm

:hellosign: Had a productive few hours on Marcroft this evening, I've started work on what will eventually become part of my farm, apart from the cattle dock, just so Mr farmer can load his cows to sell at market, I've also incorporated a small general goods platform again for farm goods to flog.
More Detailing needed on the small access road and possibly a single yard light. As my farmer's a bit of a horder, I thought I would have ago at making some rusty, long forgotten cars.
I spent ages trying to get the fencing straight, even with the holes drilled the same distance apart, proved frustrating but looking at images on google I'm not alone, plus I suppose old fencing in real life isn't going to be perfectly straight.
Carried out a little more ballesting until my never runs out bottle of Pva glue, err, ran out so off to B&q in the morning.
Well, hope you all enjoy the rest of the weekend, looking forward to a few more hours in the cave tomorrow :beers:
Attachments
image.jpeg
Overall, pleased with result.
image.jpeg (184.86 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
image.jpeg
More detailing needed on access road.
image.jpeg (216.47 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
image.jpeg
Had ago at some rusty cars.
image.jpeg (265.18 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
image.jpeg
Little more ballesting carried out, until glue ran out.
image.jpeg (174.18 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:36 am

The layout is coming on leaps and bounds Marcus, especially like the old cars overgrown with weeds.

If you have a poundland type store near you, large pva wood glue bottles £1, buy a few, that's what I do!

Keep posting we're enjoying this.

Jim.

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:26 am

Marcus,

That looks just great work, especially the rusty vehicles.

Keep it up and enjoy your beer later - you deserve it :)

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:44 pm

Hi all. Just a quick update from yesterday. Added a little more detail to the farm area, started applying base level static grass near newly completed ballesting. Once this has dried I'll add other textures later. All in all, busy few hours but that's it for now layout wise, so for the rest of today, I'll concentrate on building the metcalfe farm buildings and then onto the low profile shops and cinema my dearest wife surprised me with from the show yesterday.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Base level applied ready for adding textures when dry.
image.jpeg (205.47 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
image.jpeg
A little more detail added, yard light needs connecting.
image.jpeg (207.7 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
image.jpeg
Blending together nicely.
image.jpeg (164.78 KiB) Viewed 1107 times

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:53 pm

Hi.
Your layout's looking really good. Some excellent progress going on. You have a lot going on but the overall layout has a really spacious, uncluttered look to it. Love the little loading bay/platform with the tractor etc. at the end of the branch. Looking forward to seeing how the other side develops.

Pete

'PETERSDALE' where the coalfield meets the dales.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:23 pm

RailwayRobbo wrote:Hi.
Your layout's looking really good. Some excellent progress going on. You have a lot going on but the overall layout has a really spacious, uncluttered look to it. Love the little loading bay/platform with the tractor etc. at the end of the branch. Looking forward to seeing how the other side develops.

Pete

'PETERSDALE' where the coalfield meets the dales.
Hi. Thx.
The other side will be a cattle dock with access from the main farm. The little tractor was another little surprise from my wife. I'm told that I have to incorporate a field within the farm with horse jumps etc seeing as my wife loves horses, and as we own one, I thought I'd better do as requested... :D

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:24 pm

:hellosign: Just another quick update carrying on from yesterday. Finished work early today so spent another couple of hours on "Marcroft" managed to complete the cattle dock which I'm quite pleased with. Lorry in the picture is way out of date but again, something my wife surprised me with so, on the layout it will stay .I wasn't really happy with how the road crossing the track looked, so I replaced with thinly cut card to resemble old planks, again happy with how it looks. Tomorrow I'm hoping to build The metcalfe farm buildings and do a little more ballesting. C u again soon.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Ballesting next on agenda.
image.jpeg (186.46 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
image.jpeg
Pleased with how dock turned out.
image.jpeg (185.64 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
image.jpeg
Lorry out of date but surprise from my wife.
image.jpeg (185.12 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
image.jpeg
Much happier with how road looks.
image.jpeg (204.38 KiB) Viewed 1072 times

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:02 pm

I :hellosign: Enjoyed a few hours in the shed today playing trains. I love the Metcalfe kits and think they look suburb, but my layout is very red brick dominated, so I thought I would have a go at a kit built barn to go alongside my Metcalfe farm I'm modelling. I found this a little fidley at times but glad I stuck with it, because I'm really happy with how it came out. Ill definitely look at other kits now as it does break up my layout and looks great in situ. Going to treat myself to another couple of hour so I'll c u all later. :beers:
Attachments
image.jpeg
Now to begin.
image.jpeg (103 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
image.jpeg
Lots of little bits and pieces needed sticking together to make double thickness.
image.jpeg (79.73 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
image.jpeg
Starting the main supports.
image.jpeg (82.69 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
image.jpeg
This bit was fiddly but satisfying.
image.jpeg (118.26 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
image.jpeg
Really pleased with how it came out.
image.jpeg (111.99 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

Oranoco

Postby Oranoco » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:44 pm

Well that was a pretty fab 13 page read. What a cracking job :)

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:03 pm

Oranoco wrote:Well that was a pretty fab 13 page read. What a cracking job :)
Hi Oranoco. Thx for your kind words. I'm really enjoying the build, I will be revisiting certain parts of the layout I'm now not happy with, as I gain more experience, things I started at the beginning could have been done better, so I'll be addressing those niggles. Still a long way to go but I'm in no hurry, hopefully if work permits, I'll be spending another couple of hours in the shed tomorrow. Working on farm area at the min so will post images shortly. Again, thx for your compliment, and I'll we'll again chat soon. :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”