My first ever model railway build.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Stewart Gethin

Re: My first model railway build.

Postby Stewart Gethin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:05 pm

There's an improvement there Marcus. as a suggestion to filling up the gap between backscene and viaduct why not bring some of the buildings right out up to the edge of the viaduct?

Stewart
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:43 am

Stewart Gethin wrote:There's an improvement there Marcus. as a suggestion to filling up the gap between backscene and viaduct why not bring some of the buildings right out up to the edge of the viaduct?

Stewart

Hi Stewart. Thx for suggestion, I could do that to some of the buildings to create a more 3d effect. Had a look at your layouts, last posts appear to be from several years ago, do you have any upto date images of your progress? :D

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:09 pm

Marcus wrote:
Stewart Gethin wrote:There's an improvement there Marcus. as a suggestion to filling up the gap between backscene and viaduct why not bring some of the buildings right out up to the edge of the viaduct?

Stewart

Hi Stewart. Thx for suggestion, I could do that to some of the buildings to create a more 3d effect. Had a look at your layouts, last posts appear to be from several years ago, do you have any upto date images of your progress? :D

Not really! more deconstruction rather than construction on the OO layout, just more stock has been bought. Have been intending on doing some work on it. Lets see what winter brings.

Stewart
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:57 pm

An innovative way to create a backscene 8)
Marcus wrote:Can anyone suggest what I could put in place along top of viaduct and base of backdrop? I was thinking something like moss or similar or even a fence, any suggestions would be helpful. Thx again. :D
How about the top half of cars (in low relief) to represent a road in front of the buildings?

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:00 am

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:An innovative way to create a backscene 8)
Marcus wrote:Can anyone suggest what I could put in place along top of viaduct and base of backdrop? I was thinking something like moss or similar or even a fence, any suggestions would be helpful. Thx again. :D
How about the top half of cars (in low relief) to represent a road in front of the buildings?
Hi PNP. I will try that and see what it looks like :D

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:34 pm

Well, hasn't the weather been absolutely pants the past few days? But not for modelling. I've been busy in my shed adding a little more trackside detail to layout in the way of relay boxes, hedgerow, ballasting track etc, these little details make all the difference. I'm especially pleased with my forklifts with their flashing Amber beacons, adds another dimension to the layout and all it cost was under £3.00 :D
I finally got around building my metcalfe pub and shop today, a lot more fiddly than the engine sheds previously completed but I'm pleased how they turned out, a couple of mistakes made,but won't be repeated next time. Had a nice email today from the director of Dapol, my 9F had a couple of problems that I contacted them about, nothing serious but still issues that needed addressing so sending me the parts out first class, excellent customer service. About another 10 metcalfe kits to build so going to be busy over the next few days( if works permits it) but I'll admit that I really enjoy the satisfaction when you see the end result. Hopefully I'll stick another, more upto date video on YouTube showing progress. That's it for now ,so nighty night. :D
Attachments
image.jpg
Not looking to bad, a couple of mistakes made, but not next time.
image.jpg (168.49 KiB) Viewed 961 times

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:45 pm

Great stuff Marcus - superb build quality.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:58 pm

ParkeNd wrote:Great stuff Marcus - superb build quality.
thx. Sat in front of telly with a glass of pear cider while building these, most satisfying :D

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:12 pm

Hello guys. Well after a few restless nights I have resolved the derailing issues with the front pony on my 9F. A poorly fitted pony spring was the culprit. Once I refitted it correctly she runs like a dream with no pointwork problems whatsoever. One of my favourite loco's now, especially when I thought I'd purchased a lemon. So, much happier now and I think she looks a hundred dollars. :D
Attachments
image.jpg
Now derailing issues gone, a cracking loco.
image.jpg (178.36 KiB) Viewed 875 times

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:37 pm

It's been a little slow the past few weeks due to good old work commitments so only had time for a few changes. I've altered yet again final part of layout so now I can operate it as another continuous loop giving me now for loops and a branch line. I think in future, any more builds will be planned from the offset :D.
I have moved the station from previous location to new location giving me more room for a through station and more loco storage, to be honest, I'm much happier with this setup than before. I've built a small cattle dock that will be incorporated into farm that will eventually be built using the metcalfe kits once I get time. Purchased an old metcalfe kit incorporating a water tower and sand house, I have no idea what or where you would locate a sand house so I'll need to give goggle a look see. Apparently metcalfe no longer make this kit so may be difficult to get hold of in the near future. Santa(the wife) put under Xmas tree a class 156 that's a lovely runner so really happy with that. That's it for now but hopefully I'll be able to spend some overdue time in the man shed and crack on. :D :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
Small cattle dock build in progress
image.jpeg (179.11 KiB) Viewed 777 times
image.jpeg
New station location, happier than previous.
image.jpeg (135.62 KiB) Viewed 777 times
image.jpeg
Final track design..I hope.
image.jpeg (118.4 KiB) Viewed 777 times
image.jpeg
Sand house! What's a sand house...lol
image.jpeg (128.97 KiB) Viewed 777 times

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:59 pm

Stumbled across this layout by chance and glad I did.

Great looking layout, I particularly like the industrial section, right up my street.

My suggestion for the top of the viaduct would be a simple wall with capping stones to finish it off,
in similar brick to the viaduct.

Great work, I'm hooked now and waiting for the next area of the layout being done.

Keep the posts coming ?

Jim.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:05 am

railwayjim wrote:Stumbled across this layout by chance and glad I did.

Great looking layout, I particularly like the industrial section, right up my street.

My suggestion for the top of the viaduct would be a simple wall with capping stones to finish it off,
in similar brick to the viaduct.

Great work, I'm hooked now and waiting for the next area of the layout being done.

Keep the posts coming ?

Jim.
Thx Jim
Looking at your layout, which is stunning, your praise is very welcome.
I'm going to spend some time tomorrow with your suggestion for the viaduct, once I've completed that I'll pop another post on.
thx again. :D

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Also just found this thread, not a fan of n gauge, but then you have a running railway, I am still waiting for the 12ft x 30ft shed to arrive! lol
I would bring my extensive stock round for a running session, but I think they may get stuck in the tunnel mouths! lol
Although yours is not small (for gauge), you are making tremendous progress in a very short time! (especially as you are first timer)
First board was grey, extensions are wood, what was the covering you used and why change?
Cant wait to see the weathering results.
Your doing a great job, keep it up and keep posting.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:43 pm

TimberSurf wrote:Also just found this thread, not a fan of n gauge, but then you have a running railway, I am still waiting for the 12ft x 30ft shed to arrive! lol
I would bring my extensive stock round for a running session, but I think they may get stuck in the tunnel mouths! lol
Although yours is not small (for gauge), you are making tremendous progress in a very short time! (especially as you are first timer)
First board was grey, extensions are wood, what was the covering you used and why change?
Cant wait to see the weathering results.
Your doing a great job, keep it up and keep posting.
Hi. Thx for comments. My first board was covered with 6mm high density foam to deaden the sound but when I ran second board to test track before placing foam down I found it made no difference to noise levels. To be honest, I didn't find it that noisy anyway, and I also find it easier to secure buildings, scenery etc.

Just curious, you say your not a fan of N, what is it not not to keen on? I'm guessing it's the scale.

Your shed at 30x12 will home a huge layout, 0 gauge wouldn't look out of place :D If my layout was on a single straight board it would measure 18x3.5 feet so yes, a nice running length, especially for N as equivalent in 00 would be about 36x7.

I think not only would your loco get stuck in my tunnels I think track may be a tad narrow...Lol. :D :D

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:27 pm

I asked about foam as I am about to start laying track, and being oldschool, would normally have spent millions of hours carefully cutting strips of cork as underlay, but as I will be running sound, wanted to ensure track sound didn't overpower the engines! So investigation led me to foam (see Track laying/ballasting/Depron Foam), (still haven't found cheap local source yet) I will still use, as my boards are only 6mm and may vibrate without it. P.S. should be medium density foam to be effective.
I plan to mount all buildings on a 3mm rigid base, that slots into a hole in the foam (thus making every thing flush) but allows easy removal from layout (for maintenance/weathering/lights addition/etc) but keeps the bottom rigid (with connector under board to be able to disconnect any lighting)
I say I am not a fan (ignoring jealousness of your ginormous track plan :evil:) as I think I would struggle with the fiddly bits (availability of buildings, stock and accessories used to be an issue but not any longer) and as I have over 1200 items of rolling stock, a little late in the day to change!
I wouldn't model in 'N' myself, but marvel a what can be accomplished these days now support is commercially available. See a couple I have found on here:-
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=43874
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27778
{best of both worlds is TT scale, not to fiddly but small enough to get a decent track plan in a small space, but that is definitely in the extremely limited availability (scratch build almost everything yourself) category!}.
The huge shed was a joke! I have a 12ft x 16ft room at the moment, but am unwilling to fill it, as I will probably move within the next few years, so I am building a transportable/sectional/generic layout until I find a permanent home. Click on Lumsdonia to see the original plan, that I have now ditched.
On the Trans-Siberian they change the bogies for different scales! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQK_qru6qvs Does your engine shed have those lifty things? :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”